Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

I have to say... I went to Orlando over the weekend for an interview and just drove back in. When coming down the hill over the 77 interchange while on 26, the city looks absolutely amazing. All the lights, the buildings, just everything.

My immediate response once seeing it was HOLY GOD, and that was after the Jax skyline over the river and the Orlando downtown area. I will miss this place a ton.

I didn't know Columbia acquired an indoor football team. I must have missed this announcement.

"The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) announced that it is bringing indoor football to Columbia, making the Colonial Center home to the league's newest team, the Columbia Stingers. Football at The Colonial Center begins in March!"

The first annual Columbia Stingers FanFest is March 10th and the first game is March 17th at the Colonial Center. That's kind of a bad opening date, it being St. Patrick's Day and all :alc: , I hope they have a good turnout.

Here a link to the team website: Columbia Stingers

Edited by BrasilnSC

I didn't know Columbia acquired an indoor football team. I must have missed this announcement.

"The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) announced that it is bringing indoor football to Columbia, making the Colonial Center home to the league's newest team, the Columbia Stingers. Football at The Colonial Center begins in March!"

The first annual Columbia Stingers FanFest is March 10th and the first game is March 17th at the Colonial Center. That's kind of a bad opening date, it being St. Patrick's Day and all :alc: , I hope they have a good turnout.

Here a link to the team website: Columbia Stingers

We briefly discussed it some time ago, but didn't have any specifics. I was expecting to see an official announcement sometime further in the future, but it's good to know the team is already up and running.

The minor league teams (Inferno, Rottweilers, Stingers) are about as close as the city is going to come to major league professional sports (at least for the forseeable future), so I hope the residents of the area really support all of them.

I wonder if the team will move to the new Inferno arena in Lexington County once it gets built? I think that would be best, as it would create a better atmosphere considering expected attendance levels (which I am sure are nowhere near the 18K that the Colonial Center seats).

We briefly discussed it some time ago, but didn't have any specifics. I was expecting to see an official announcement sometime further in the future, but it's good to know the team is already up and running.

The minor league teams (Inferno, Rottweilers, Stingers) are about as close as the city is going to come to major league professional sports (at least for the forseeable future), so I hope the residents of the area really support all of them.

I wonder if the team will move to the new Inferno arena in Lexington County once it gets built? I think that would be best, as it would create a better atmosphere considering expected attendance levels (which I am sure are nowhere near the 18K that the Colonial Center seats).

Since the football field will be bigger than a basketball court it would probably drop the capacity to around 16K for football.

^True, but it probably won't even fill those. I'd say something around 10K seats would be suitable--then again, I'm not familiar with indoor football attendance statistics.

Yes, but the Inferno's new arena will only seat around 6000, I think, so it would be even less for arena football. I'm planning on going to some Stingers games, even though I hate the nickname.

For some reason, I thought the new Inferno arena was going to seat more than that. Oh well, I guess we'll see how long the team sticks it out at the Colonial Center.

Which leads me to this: how is it that this minor league professional team can play at the Colonial Center but not the Inferno?

In the "Economic Development in South Carolina" forum I have discussed jobs numbers for the Columbia MSA compared with the state's other MSA's as reported monthly in "South Carolina Workforce Trends," whose figures show the Columbia MSA leading the way in the net number of jobs for the past year. On the front page of "The Greenville News" Friday, there is an article about the state's unemployment rate dropping slightly, and the article has a little subtitle that says, "State tops in new jobs," or something to that effect. So, putting 2 and 2 together, this looks pretty good for Columbia, not only on the state level but also on the national level. They're talking about the rate of growth and not the actual number of jobs, but still.

Edited by CorgiMatt

It seems as though our state may ever-so-slowly (and I DO mean "slowly") but surely turning an important corner. I think that as the larger cities in the Southeast start to reach a point of saturation and the cost of doing business in those cities starts to increase, more and more attention will be given to the mid-sized players, such as our own major metros--all of which have several advantages.

For some reason, I thought the new Inferno arena was going to seat more than that. Oh well, I guess we'll see how long the team sticks it out at the Colonial Center.

Which leads me to this: how is it that this minor league professional team can play at the Colonial Center but not the Inferno?

They don't play at the same time as Carolina men's and women's basketball. Their season doesn't begin until late March. Also, Mike McGee isn't our athletics director any more. ;)

Edited by waccamatt

I see. I remember reading one article that said that the Inferno not being able to play at the Colonial Center had something to do with the team being a professional team and the Colonial Center being a publicly-funded arena or something to that effect, so I was wondering exactly how that relates to the Stingers being allowed to play there. Oh well, I guess in the end, it's all politics. :)

HGTV's television show "What you get for the money" is in Columbia now, filming for an upcoming episode. The show reaches a huge audience. It profiles cities across the nation and compares them to each other in terms of how much house you can get for $150,000 to $1,000,000. Each episode compares three cities. While the main focus is houses, the show features various aspects of each city such as what to do, where to eat, what it's like living there, etc. They also use lots of photography to show landmarks and to give an overall feel for each city. More great exposure for the Capital City. http://www.columbiacvb.com/static/index.cf...D=402&cID=0

Edited by CorgiMatt

Several articles are in "The State" today about HGTV's "What You Get for the Money." One of the articles quotes one of the show's researchers as saying they're coming to Columbia because they're research shows Columbia is a city on the rise. http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/livin...me/16926033.htm

He said the city's revitalization attracted them.

Edited by CorgiMatt

Cool! I confess... I'm an HGTV watcher. Can't wait to check out the episode. As a modern design enthusiast, I'm happy to see the emphasis on modern residential architecture -- they had to look REALLY hard to find an example of that around here.

Speaking of that... hope you guys don't mind a little shameless plug... I'm hoping to change all that by forming a grassroots group that is designed to link people/groups that want new modern home options here in Columbia with design/build professionals and developers that are able to make it happen at a reasonable price. If anyone wants to check it out... it's still in the formative stage, but here's the link:

Columbia Modern Collaborative

Feel free to spread the word if you have friends who are into modern homes. I *know* for sure we have a Dwell magazine crowd around here, it's just a matter of getting people organized.

Edited by emerging.me

Cool! I confess... I'm an HGTV watcher. Can't wait to check out the episode. As a modern design enthusiast, I'm happy to see the emphasis on modern residential architecture -- they had to look REALLY hard to find an example of that around here.

Speaking of that... hope you guys don't mind a little shameless plug... I'm hoping to change all that by forming a grassroots group that is designed to link people/groups that want new modern home options here in Columbia with design/build professionals and developers that are able to make it happen at a responsible price. If anyone wants to check it out... it's still in the formative stage, but here's the link:

Columbia Modern Collaborative

Feel free to spread the word if you have friends who are into modern homes. I *know* for sure we have a Dwell magazine crowd around here, it's just a matter of getting people organized.

Noticed your ad on Craigslist, too. Good idea.

Edited by Captain Worley

^That sounds innovative, EM. How's the response been so far?

In other news, Columbia now has a Myspace page. The State had an article about it in today's edition.

I've gotten a great response from the design-build professionals and potential investors needed to pull this off... now, it's just a matter of reaching the people that want these kind of homes. I know they're out there. I imagine this will be a slow burn type of process. By all means... spread the word! :)

Awesome! :) Right now I'm just looking for some early adopters to help get the ball rolling. Once we get more serious I'll probably put a ad in the Free Times or something.

That's cool, Emerging! Good luck . . . I am a fan of modern architecture done right, including those brave enough to have a modern home. I like old houses, but if I could afford a second home, it would be the opposite that you espouse.

I'm sure you're already aware of these, but Columbia has some fine examples of modern homes, built in the 40s, I believe. The coolest one is on Devine near the intersection with Kilbourne (I believe.) It belongs in a magazine if it hasn't been already! The huge circular window is amazing, and all the other Art Moderne elements are so retro-fabulous! The other two are on Forest Drive near the intersection with Glendale. If anyone out there likes modern houses like Emerging, check 'em out! They are incredible. :w00t:

I am generally not a fan of modern homes, but that one on Devine makes a statement, and it certainly is a good example of its architecture. When it comes to residenital modernism, architecture didnt have that damning effect that commercial and public modern architecture did.