Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

That's cool, Emerging! Good luck . . . I am a fan of modern architecture done right, including those brave enough to have a modern home. I like old houses, but if I could afford a second home, it would be the opposite that you espouse.

I'm sure you're already aware of these, but Columbia has some fine examples of modern homes, built in the 40s, I believe. The coolest one is on Devine near the intersection with Kilbourne (I believe.) It belongs in a magazine if it hasn't been already! The huge circular window is amazing, and all the other Art Moderne elements are so retro-fabulous! The other two are on Forest Drive near the intersection with Glendale. If anyone out there likes modern houses like Emerging, check 'em out! They are incredible. :w00t:

Don't forget the 'Robot House' on Forest Drive, which was for sale recently.

Hello again from Sacramento. Yesterday I spent the day in San Francisco. What an incredible city! But I could never become part of it the way I could New York or Philadelphia. I guess it's my strong identity with my English roots that keep me on the east coast. I took some pictures with a disposable camera. If I can get someone to help me put them on the computer I'll post them somewhere; someone tell me where to post them. One thing I noticed in San Francisco, as I have always noticed in pictures of it, was telephone poles and power lines. They are on virtually every street. Even at the bottom of Lumbard Street, the crooked one, there is a huge black power line running right across the street that blocks your view if you want to take a picture from the other side of the street. I doubt they have power lines in the heart of the business district, but in the tourist areas and on the residential streets they are everywhere. But they don't take anything away from the aesthetics of the city. Something I have noticed in California, in both Sacramento and San Francisco, is that they just let the trees grow up into the power lines so that the lines just run right through the canopy. I'm going to communicate with the top at SCE&G as I did a few years back in an appeal to try to try to get them to stay downtown. Mr. Timmerman himself responded to me then, and I expect he will on this topic. I'll let y'all know what he tells me about the crew cuts they have been giving the trees around here.

I just got back from downtown Sacramento. Old Sacramento is intriguing. It feels like the old West. The buildings have been preserved very nicely. The regular part of downtown is very clean and modern, with such an impressive amount of trees. The streets are wide like Columbia's, but entirely too many of them are one-way. There are more high-rises than in Columbia, and they are taller, but not one of them is as pretty as the Meridian Tower - they just aren't. And the capitol can't hold a candle to South Carolina's - it just can't. I have kept a very open mind and those two statements come from as objective a frame of mind as anyone could have. Two things I have learned from this trip are that San Francisco can't hold a candle to New York City and the California capitol can't hold a candle to South Carolina's. It's funny - one of Sacramento's travel brochures calls the restoration of the capital one of the most greatest renovation projects in the history of the United States at a cost of 60 million and lasting 6 years. Well, South Carolina's was 50 million and took close to five years, so it must have been pretty important as well.

According to the Columbia Star, MensHealth magazine ranked 100 American cities by car crashes, speeding tickets, and the like, and guess which city ranked 100th? Yep, good ol' Columbia. A quote from the magazine says, "Ever watched a demolition derby? Spend a day in Columbia, South Carolina."

Hey Julie, not sure what you were trying to post, but you may just want to copy and paste the link here. Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

In other news, it looks like Forbes already has a new "Best Places for Business and Careers" list out. On this list, Columbia ranks 35th overall in the large metro category (out of 200 total that were ranked), which is up from 91st last year and ahead of DC this year, surprisingly--I think the "cost of doing business" indicator did them in. It's the highest ranking in the state.

Does anyone know if COR is still doing that lecture series, or if not, when it will resume?

I still get an email from them every month. Last month's lecture was on why Columbia is becoming a hot bed for telcommincations companies and why it's expected to become even more so. I missed it because something came up.

While I know rankings by certain publications aren't everything (some of them are pure fluff, as a matter of fact), I would think that there would be more attention paid to the Forbes ranking (a pretty reputable source) for Columbia this year. The metro area posted a VERY healthy gain from last year (from 91 to 35), which means the city must be doing something right in some category/categories.

According to the Columbia Star, MensHealth magazine ranked 100 American cities by car crashes, speeding tickets, and the like, and guess which city ranked 100th? Yep, good ol' Columbia. A quote from the magazine says, "Ever watched a demolition derby? Spend a day in Columbia, South Carolina."

Interesting take on why Columbia ranked as high as it did.

Yes! And guess what. Lupe Fiasco (from Chicago) a major rapper came to USC for a concert that I went to on Wed...I was SO embarrassed to live in this STATE. He said while he was coming from the airport he passed a place, he looked up and saw some weird flag with stars going across that was red and white on top of some place called Maurice's........He said he did his research on that bulls!*t ass flag on top of our state house. He said yeah, he saw it recognizes culture, history, heritage, but also that bulls!*t racism. Gotta LOVE Lupe. He dedicated his song "American Terrorist" to MAURICES. lmao!!!

People don't think that flag all over Columbia don't hurt but I think it gives Columbia and USC a bad image of looking like its still in 1861.

Edited by sonofaque86

http://blogs.thestate.com/bradwarthensblog...the_scaacp.html

Steve's Spurrier words on that flag

heres a part lol

Let's start a new organization, today, called "South Carolinians for the Advancement of All South Carolinians." Our aim will be to make the Legislature hear the voice of the majority of people of all colors in our state, who are sick and tired of this farce of flying that flag on our State House grounds, and fed up with the harm it does us all -- not just in terms of how the world views us, but in terms of how we see ourselves, and how we live together as a people.

Edited by sonofaque86

I'm not gonna lie. In 2000 when they started talking about taking the flag down I was 13/14 years old and lived in Columbia all my life and NEVER knew that flag was on top of the state house. I NEVER looked up on the dome when passing it. Now after they moved it I see that stupid flag EVERYDAY like right in front of my face. maurices didnt even have it up then so now its on all his restaurants. they need to put it in a museum. im tired of seeing that all around columbia. only a MINORITY of people like that flag like spurrier said. i hope alot of fuss comes up again about taking it down

Edited by sonofaque86