Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Its definitely time to take it down. It has no place on the state house grounds. If people have such a place for it in their hearts they still have the freedom to put it on the own property - Maurice's. We all need to write our state legislatures to get them moving on this issue. I truly believe that the majority of the state wants it down - I am friends with very few people who want to keep it.

On a slightly different subject, mainly because this discussion usually tends to get ugly (I support taking it down), has anyone else ever noticed the random, gravel parking lot next to meridian on main?

Why in the world hasn't that been developed, especially with the two new towers on each side of it, it should be prime real estate for a restaurant or some form of retail.

Looks like the nazis got a parade permit for Saturday:

http://www.thestate.com/154/story/39056.html

I've heard the Klan will be there showing 'support' and waving the CBF, so I'm sure we'll all look like a bunch of racist idiots on the national news Saturday night.

Disgusting. My wife and I are taking our girls to the Olympia Community Festival on Saturday. I hope none of these losers migrate over there after the parade. People should seriously be outraged by this s***. Every person from every progressive group, and every member of every faith community in Columbia should be out there together in counter-protest! This makes me sick to my stomach.

Edited by emerging.me

I remember hearing a guy from a town in West Virginia who organized a Unity Rally in another part of his town at the same time some Neo Nazis were demonstrating downtown.

The article says the group will be rallying against illegal immigration, but I'm sure that won't be the only topic discussed. Plus it just doesn't look good for the city, and having the Confederate flag on Statehouse grounds will only make it look like our state is in agreement with the racist, hateful mentality of such a group.

Well, on a slightly different topic, my parents came into town tonight from Greenville to visit me before graduation. I took them around the city and then went to go eat at Ristoraunte Divino in the Vista. Afterwards, we all walked around a while and let them just "experience" Columbia. The responses I got were amazing. My mom said that the Vista blows Main Street at home out of the water. And my father mentioned how he remembered only twenty years ago coming to the city when his company was using the old fire tower... and was shocked by how much the city had changed from "a bunch of rundown warehouses."

(Just to clarify, I'm not cutting at G'vegas, thats just what they had to compare it to since thats where they live currently. I love my hometown and what it has become, but to hear this from two G'vegas obsessed people was great!)

Yes! And guess what. Lupe Fiasco (from Chicago) a major rapper came to USC for a concert that I went to on Wed...I was SO embarrassed to live in this STATE. He said while he was coming from the airport he passed a place, he looked up and saw some weird flag with stars going across that was red and white on top of some place called Maurice's........He said he did his research on that bulls!*t ass flag on top of our state house. He said yeah, he saw it recognizes culture, history, heritage, but also that bulls!*t racism. Gotta LOVE Lupe. He dedicated his song "American Terrorist" to MAURICES. lmao!!!

People don't think that flag all over Columbia don't hurt but I think it gives Columbia and USC a bad image of looking like its still in 1861.

If he didn't know what the flag was, then he wasn't offended. He had to make an effort to be offended, which removes all credibility IMO. To assume that its solely an issue of race is not accurate. That just shows you the kind of ignorance that surrounds this issue. Fortunately that is not a problem for most UP forumers.

Well, on a slightly different topic, my parents came into town tonight from Greenville to visit me before graduation. I took them around the city and then went to go eat at Ristoraunte Divino in the Vista. Afterwards, we all walked around a while and let them just "experience" Columbia. The responses I got were amazing. My mom said that the Vista blows Main Street at home out of the water. And my father mentioned how he remembered only twenty years ago coming to the city when his company was using the old fire tower... and was shocked by how much the city had changed from "a bunch of rundown warehouses."

(Just to clarify, I'm not cutting at G'vegas, thats just what they had to compare it to since thats where they live currently. I love my hometown and what it has become, but to hear this from two G'vegas obsessed people was great!)

That is interesting. I don't think the Vista blows Main St Greenville out of the water at all (at least not at this point in time), but it is interesting to see that someone has that opinion.

And I'm not arguing that... just thought it was interesting input.

Now back on topic, if anyone wants to join USC students are protesting the Nazi march this weekend. I really hope it doesn't turn into some sort of riot or something. If someone gets hurt, its going to look horrible on the university, but if someone just accidentally found a way to accidentally tear down the flag accidentally that would be great. But only if its an accident done accidentally.

I've contemplated what the right thing is to do this weekend. Neither the "ignore them" approach, nor the "protest them" approach is neither right nor wrong. I haven't decided which I will do yet.

Maybe you could get a group of people together that turn their backs on the nazis as they walk by. Personally, I'm just not showing up, but I'm not sure that's the best response.

I haven't decided what to do either since there are other events going on like the Olympia Community Festival and the Oyster Festival. It would be great to see 2 or 5 times more anti-hate protesters than these lunatics out there.

I like the idea of everyone lining the streets and turning their backs, reading the paper.

Hey everybody... New Ideas for a New Carolina is having their annual business idea competition. This year there's a People's Choice competition with an online vote:

http://www.newcarolina.org/

Without getting into shameless self-promotion, let's just say I wouldn't be mad at ya if you were to VOTE FOR THE SECOND IDEA! ;) "Spark!" would be a nice addition to downtown Columbia's cool factor, I think. Hehe.

Edited by emerging.me

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized something: Columbia sure does have a LOT of churches downtown, especially for a city its size. I don't think uptown Charlotte has a third of the amount of churches that Columbia has downtown.

Every time I turn around in Columbia I find myself looking down a street with a church steeple or tower contributing to the ambience. They give the city much of its grace.