Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

^I think it looks better in the corner, but it could have been a bit larger.

Here's an interesting ranking I ran across in the August 2007 edition of Men's Health magazine. It ranked cities according to how many workaholics they have ("Cities That Need a Vacation" is the title of the article/study). Cities were ranked by measuring how many residents punch the clock (U.S. Census) and the amount of overtime logged (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). Then commute times (U.S. Census) and rates of high blood pressure and self-reported stress (CDC) were considered. Finally, how many vacation days go unused, as well as peoples' stress levels when they finally do get away were calculated. Columbia ranked 16th with a grade of "B+", between Honolulu (17th) and Philly (15th). Good to see Columbians knowing when to take a breather. :)

Oh this is the classical and archaeological trip in Provence ! I love that region, there is so much to say... A good place to live anyway, rather near the Alpilles or the Dentelles de Montmirail, the region between Aix and Marseille is already too much populated in my opinion, there are houses everywhere, sometimes the Marseillais call their city "Los Angeles" because of the sprawl. I hope you went for a sail from Cassis to visit the Calanques, the Mediterranean fjords, you mustn't miss them ! :camera:

We mostly stayed in the Vacluse, but we did make it to Cassis and the Calanques. The outer parts of Marseille and Aix do feel a bit like LA. Lots of sprawl, highways and lots of suburban shopping centers. Its interesting how similar things have become between Europe and America even inspite of the many differences.

This digression shows that Columbia is open to the world. Two years ago Spartan created the thread "Columbia vs France" to welcome me here. We taught and learned mutually (and my English is better since then). I will never forget how patient and friendly you are with me, I thank you for all.

Now, I also want to see photos of Columbia ! :)

I've always said our flag is one of the most beautiful around. It is quite unique, as well. Chtimi, one of the things you will notice, when you come to visit, is that the SC flag is incorporated into clothing, bumper stickers, etc. to a very large degree. There are stores here that primarily sell merchandise that incorporates the SC flag into their design.

Chtimi, thanks for that flag link. I think SC's is one of the prettiest flags anywhere. I really like New Mexico's too.

That site mentioned the "moon" in our flag design. Not quite correct - it is a crescent depicting the crescent motiff from our revolutionary army's headgear. And that item was to mimic the gorget officers wore round their necks.

Y'all have been discussing the Wilbur Smith Associates logo and building (which makes me giggle because I work there) - what do you think they (Parkway Realty) could do about the horrible parking deck? Don't you think it would look better if they removed the awful honeycomb skin?

• 2 weeks later...

This is not really the Innovista, but nearby--they are cutting down all the Bradford pear trees in the median along Blossom Street near the ugly pedestrian bridge between Main and Maxcy Gregg Park. The trees were somewhat of a hazard, blocking views down the hill, and were malformed due to constant trimming. Does anyone know what they will replace them with, or whether the medians are being torn out in favor of something wider, narrower, or more attractive? Will this removal continue with the pears down Assembly?

This is not really the Innovista, but nearby--they are cutting down all the Bradford pear trees in the median along Blossom Street near the ugly pedestrian bridge between Main and Maxcy Gregg Park. The trees were somewhat of a hazard, blocking views down the hill, and were malformed due to constant trimming. Does anyone know what they will replace them with, or whether the medians are being torn out in favor of something wider, narrower, or more attractive? Will this removal continue with the pears down Assembly?

It is part of USC's landscaping masterplan. I am sure the pear trees will be replaced with real trees, possibly the same type as they planted along the parking garage on Blossom.

I have never gone along with the pedestrian overpass there being an eyesore. The iron beams create a nice frame for the glass and the architecture is symmetrical. It is only upon close observation that one notices the surface of the beams are rusted and not painted dark brown.

Bradford pear trees are horrible trees for roadside plantings. I hope they plant something that will last. USC should really take queues from the Horseshoe, and plant more oak trees around campus. It takes a while for them to mature, but its well worth it in the long run. As for the median, anything will be better than a bradford pear.