Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Bradford pear trees are horrible trees for roadside plantings. I hope they plant something that will last. USC should really take queues from the Horseshoe, and plant more oak trees around campus. It takes a while for them to mature, but its well worth it in the long run. As for the median, anything will be better than a bradford pear.

Why are they so horrible for roadside planting? Do they not take well to that environment? I love the looks of them.

They're just crappy trees. I don't care for them because they are so low in height. They are no good for creating a canopy. They a very fragile trees- it doesn't take much of a storm to mess them up. The only good thing about them is that they are pretty in the spring when they bloom.

They're just crappy trees. I don't care for them because they are so low in height. They are no good for creating a canopy. They a very fragile trees- it doesn't take much of a storm to mess them up. The only good thing about them is that they are pretty in the spring when they bloom.

they are also an invasive, non-native species, are they not?

(and they smell like fish when they bloom. ew.)

Edited by emerging.me

Exactly. I don't hate them either. They are prefectly good trees in the right setting. Lining medians is just not one of them. They are one of the big mistakes in the past. They came to be populat areound the same time as pedestrian malls and the international architecture style.

Exactly. I don't hate them either. They are prefectly good trees in the right setting. Lining medians is just not one of them. They are one of the big mistakes in the past. They came to be populat areound the same time as pedestrian malls and the international architecture style.

I *DO* hate them!!!! Haha.

they are also an invasive, non-native species, are they not?

(and they smell like fish when they bloom. ew.)

Bradford pears are also beautiful in fall--their colors are a knock-out. However, they are not well-suited as a street tree for tight spots like the median of Blossom Street, get battered by storms, etc. They are non-native, but not too invasive, fortunately.

Bottom line: there are better choices, and I think USC knows this. Glad to hear they are implementing a master landscaping plan! I think waccamatt had the best idea for this narrow spot: plant palmettos. They would not interfere with passing vehicles, wouldn't block the view, and would look so impressive. :wub:

I like the median plantings on Gervais in the Vista. Beautiful.

Bradford pears are all clones, from what I've been told. Maybe that's why they drop huge limbs so easily. The ones on Sumter along the sidewalk at M Cafe have seen better days too. Should be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently there were postings on one of the forums about the Blossom Street median between Sumter and Pickens. I have looked all over the place and can't find it. Can someone please transfer this post to that forum if you can find it?

Anyway, the pear trees are gone, the irrigation hose has been laid, and Waccamatt, you got your wish! They are planting tall palmetto trees between the crepe myrtles in a staggered fashion. Instead of placing them evenly just across the wrought iron fence from each other, they're placing them diagonally.

Whether you're going up the hill or down it, that stretch is going to be a majorly beautiful drive with a tropical effect.

Good choice, Waccamatt

Thanks Corgi, I noticed them over the last couple of days and they will be a beautiful addition. One of these days I will replace the awful Sweetgum trees in my front yard with Palmettos and Maple Trees. The Sweetgums provide wonderful shade, but the gumballs are an annoyance - you can't rake them or mow them and they get caught in the gutters.

Thanks Corgi, I noticed them over the last couple of days and they will be a beautiful addition. One of these days I will replace the awful Sweetgum trees in my front yard with Palmettos and Maple Trees. The Sweetgums provide wonderful shade, but the gumballs are an annoyance - you can't rake them or mow them and they get caught in the gutters.

I swear sometimes I think people steal ideas from this board! Haha. Which is good, I guess because we are awesome. Ha!

Oh man... have you ever been hit by a sweetgum ball that the lawnmower sends flying?!? Not a good feeling. Ouch! Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if you guys haven't checked out the Columbia area with the birds-eye view feature on maps.live.com, do it now. Very sweet!

Damn You. I thought I'd get to break the news after I stumbled across the Columbia birdseye after mapping an Atlanta address with it. It's pretty widespread (I didn't expect) everything from Downtown, Sandhill, Little Mountain and Lower Richland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...