Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

There's an interesting article in today's "Post and Courier" about growth issues in the Charleston area. At one point in the article it says a study last year showed young people are moving away from the area to go to college and not returning. I wonder how this relates to a recent study talked about in another urbanplanet forum that showed about 2/3 or so of South Carolina college students are now staying in state after they graduate, and that the majority of those who are staying remain in the urban area where the school they attended is located. USC - 27,000 students, Clemson - 13,000 students, etc.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/ja...discussed27136/

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 3 weeks later...

The State has an article about the 30th anniversary of the Stevens & Wilkinson anniversary firm. They are pretty much reponsible, in one way or another, for the vast majority of the notable structures downtown (apart from USC structures), including the library, art museum, Meridian, First Citizens, and the convention center. It's a pretty good read. There's a pretty encouraging quote at the end:

With more people moving downtown and city agencies like the Design, Development Review Commission ensuring quality development, Lyles said the firm is bullish about the city

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that there has been a huge increase in the number of scooters on the road? Granted, I live across the river from USC, and most riders seem to be college age, but, man, there are a lot more of the things on the road.

I used to think they were DUI-mobiles for those that lost their licenses, but I see at least five 50cc scooters parked at the grocery store wen I go in.

Has anyone considered replacing their car with a scooter? If everone did, even if they rode when the temps were pleasant and it wasn't raining, it'd probably make an impact on our national oil consumption.

That being said, I really can't. I have a three mile stretch of 60mph undivided four lane with no shoulders that is heavily traveled with gravel trucks, so a 35 mph scooter wouldn't cut it. I saw one guy tring it about two weeks ago and he had a look of sheer terror on his face.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where to put this, but what's up with the huge increase in posts in the Columbia section this week? Is everyone on vacation? Considering there haven't been any major development announcements I think the last two days is the busiest I've seen this little forum. I was just curious what was driving the less frequent posters this week.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree. It's less cluttered and more aesthetically pleasing. Too bad they'll have to replace the skyline image in a little over a year. :)

It's the same old boring angle anyway. They should have used the shot from the 9th Street bridge, which would have to be replaced as well.

• 1 month later...

State Capitol Dome?

I noticed the last time I was in town the Capitol Dome is starting to turn green again. Are there any plans to restore it and keep it's current color? I remember when I was really little it was entirely green and have a painting I created in kindergarten or pre-school of it in that state.

Edited by Hybrid0NE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...