Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

So Columbia is the 14th "manliest" city in the U.S. The study was commissioned by COMBOS® Brand in partnership with Bert Sperling, the research expert behind the popular "Best Places to Live" studies. Each metro area received a manliness rating between 0 and 100 based on how well it performed in each of the study's manly categories. Factors used to determine the manliest city rankings included the number of U.S.-made cars driven in the city, number of sports bars and BBQ restaurants, number of home improvement and hardware stores as well as manly salty snacks consumption.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, all! Very new here, but I used to live in Columbia. I really miss it. I'm in Raleigh, NC now...booooo! One of my favorite views of the Columbia skyline was from Shakespeare Road at the top of the hill (behind WOLO...or where it used to be) before it descended to Fontaine Rd. If someone is out that way...take some pics...please. I rarely get to Columbia, so I can't take the pics!

Welcome I miss. If you don't mind, I would love to hear your comparison between Columbia and Raleigh. They seem like similar cities (Raleigh being a bit bigger). What are some things you like better about Columbia? Raleigh?

Welcome I miss. If you don't mind, I would love to hear your comparison between Columbia and Raleigh. They seem like similar cities (Raleigh being a bit bigger). What are some things you like better about Columbia? Raleigh?

It's really hard for me to describe the differences. For me, Columbia is just a nicer city. The people are nicer, the downtown area is nicer, the statehouse is nicer, and there is a sense of "home" in Columbia (but that could be my bias). I like Raleigh okay enough, and I would rank it ahead of Charlotte, but not ahead of Columbia. I am fiercely loyal to my homestate's capital! :D

I'm in Raleigh every week. I think the Wake County population is now 1.1M so the metro area is a good bit larger than Columbia's, and Raleigh continues to grow faster than Columbia. The downtown area is becoming a real downtown after years of neglect. When I first started going there about 20 years ago Raleigh and Columbia seemed very similar, but now Raleigh has much more of a big town feel than Columbia does. I'm not disparaging Columbia at all as comparing the two is probably not fair since Raleigh has grown faster than almost every city in the US. Having RTP drive the economy there is a huge advantage.

Two of my brothers live in Raleigh. I think Columbia's downtown is laid out better, and IMO Columbia's skyline is more balanced and more colorful as far as heights of buildings, their placement and the colors of the buildings are concerned.

Not to mention...NC's state capitol building is FUG! :ph34r: The new tower in downtown Raleigh has made a visual difference, but Raleigh still doesn't rank with Columbia with me.

Well, we all know that Columbia doesn't have anything like RTP, it being the economical juggernaut that it is. Innovista would do well to see even a fraction of the success that RTP has seen.

In terms of urban development, Raleigh is a few steps ahead of Columbia in revitalizing its main street. I've been to Raleigh but not had the pleasure of seeing the new Fayetteville Street in person, but from what I've seen from pictures, it looks like the city did a fine job with its streetscaping (found these pics online):

26.jpg

28.jpg

36.jpg

39.jpg

Hmm, it looks like a tight squeeze between the black planters and the wall to the left, and between the planters and the edge of the sidewalk. And comparing the street-scaping in those pics to Columbia's on Main Street, I don't see how they're ahead of Columbia. I prefer our lamp posts. And the leaves are coming out on the trees, and they promise to put on a super lush show this season. And I prefer our brick sidewalks.

Edited by CorgiMatt

The planters don't really take away from pedestrian's walking space; the sidewalks are still plenty wide. The lamp posts are a matter of personal taste, but I do like them. I also like Columbia's, particularly the feature with the city seal at the top, but I just think the lights are too dim.

Raleigh is ahead inasmuch as their entire main street has been streetscaped for about two years now, so the street is consistent end from end.

Wake County's population is 830,000 or so. Raleigh is part of a larger MSA, but I agree that Columbia's downtown is better. I've had some experience in both, granted that living in downtown Columbia MIGHT bias my opinion somewhat.

The parallels between the two are many. The most obvious is that both have this weird, disjointed relationship with their 'signature streets,' their universities, and general downtown activity. The presence of the largest universities in both states plays a significant role in what is happening around each downtown. North Carolina State pulls some activity out of the center of downtown with the Hillsborough St and Glenwood Ave areas much as USC and Five Points does for Columbia.

Main St vs Fayetteville St - Both streets are 9-5 activity zones. Fayetteville St, however, has a lot of great architecture and it is a great street from a pedestrian perspective. Main St just feels different, and not necessarily for the better. I think that in the long run Fayetteville St has the upper hand simply because they have a larger concentration of activities there, the biggest draw being the hotel/convention center located on Fayetteville St. They also have some great museums within walking distance. I can only wish that Columbia had museums like Raleigh.

Raleigh also has some great stuff going on with the City Market/Moore Square area.

In terms of the urban environment downtown, I think that in the long run, USC's Innovista will be instrumental in creating a great downtown, and IMO, It will offset the fact that Raleigh is part of a much larger MSA. Also, Columbia has a river, and is developing a great park and greenway system on it. This alone will make Columbia a great city one day in a way that Raleigh cannot duplicate.

Wake County's population is 830,000 or so. Raleigh is part of a larger MSA, but I agree that Columbia's downtown is better. I've had some experience in both, granted that living in downtown Columbia MIGHT bias my opinion somewhat.

The parallels between the two are many. The most obvious is that both have this weird, disjointed relationship with their 'signature streets,' their universities, and general downtown activity. The presence of the largest universities in both states plays a significant role in what is happening around each downtown. North Carolina State pulls some activity out of the center of downtown with the Hillsborough St and Glenwood Ave areas much as USC and Five Points does for Columbia.

In terms of the urban environment downtown, I think that in the long run, USC's Innovista will be instrumental in creating a great downtown, and IMO, It will offset the fact that Raleigh is part of a much larger MSA. Also, Columbia has a river, and is developing a great park and greenway system on it. This alone will make Columbia a great city one day in a way that Raleigh cannot duplicate.

Believe it or not, Wake County is just about to surpass Mecklenburg County as the most populous in N.C.--hard to believe! (Read: too many people--more than twice Richland County's, but within about the same square miles.)

Spartan, you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out our river and its amenities. Those wide, scenic, rocky shoals and roaring rapids-filled waters of our 3 Rivers converging right at our feet! Most cities would KILL for that! As it becomes more and more our focal point, it will blow 'em away.

I like Raleigh's downtown in a number of ways. Some things it has I wish we had in Columbia's downtown. The skyline of Raleigh is not that impressive, certainly not one that beats ours. The N.C. statehouse is not as attractive as ours, but there are also better looking ones in other states, so that is not that important.

I stayed in downtown Raleigh recently, and whoever commented that it shuts down at 5pm like ours was right! Fayetteville Street and around the statehouse was dead. At least Columbia does have the Vista so close. Raleigh's equivalent, the name of which escapes me now (it was along a street with tons of restaurants, etc.), was nice but did not quite have the vibe of the Vista, IMO. It was also quite a hike further away than the Vista is from the center of town.

Otherwise, I think the two downtowns are quite comparible. However, as we just mentioned, Raleigh doesn't have an exciting and beautiful RIVER RUNNING THROUGH IT! (Just my little poke at North Carolinians.) :shades:

Hey, I just noticed something about Columbia's Wikipedia entry: someone has deleted the section on Notable Columbia Natives/Residents! Does anyone here have a copy of what was previously there, or else we'll have to start all over--geesh, Louise!

Krazee, Spartan, don't y'all add things to Columbia's Wikipedia entry? Wonder what happened to that important part? Where's Hootie? :shok:

I can help, btw, if you two don't have anything in your records.

Believe it or not, Wake County is just about to surpass Mecklenburg County as the most populous in N.C.--hard to believe! (Read: too many people--more than twice Richland County's, but within about the same square miles.)

It is. Wake County is geographically larger than Mecklenburg County though, so it was always inevitable, given Raleigh's rapid growth.

Spartan, you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out our river and its amenities. Those wide, scenic, rocky shoals and roaring rapids-filled waters of our 3 Rivers converging right at our feet! Most cities would KILL for that! As it becomes more and more our focal point, it will blow 'em away.

Absolutely.

I stayed in downtown Raleigh recently, and whoever commented that it shuts down at 5pm like ours was right! Fayetteville Street and around the statehouse was dead. At least Columbia does have the Vista so close. Raleigh's equivalent, the name of which escapes me now (it was along a street with tons of restaurants, etc.), was nice but did not quite have the vibe of the Vista, IMO. It was also quite a hike further away than the Vista is from the center of town.

I think you're referring to Glenwood South.

Hey, I just noticed something about Columbia's Wikipedia entry: someone has deleted the section on Notable Columbia Natives/Residents! Does anyone here have a copy of what was previously there, or else we'll have to start all over--geesh, Louise!

Krazee, Spartan, don't y'all add things to Columbia's Wikipedia entry? Wonder what happened to that important part? Where's Hootie? :shok:

I'll fix it.

Well, 70,000 is a lot of people, but in the next 20 years Wake will overtake Meck. Its one of those unfortunate things because Wake County has much worse sprawl than Mecklenburg at this point.

Charlotte would kill for a river. I'm quite confident that if they could relocate the Catawba River they would do it.

Wikipedia saves ALL versions of its pages, so its just a matter of reverting it. I personally have not edited anything there in quite some time... but it sounds like Krazeeboi is on top of it.

Its annoying to edit anything on Wikipedia. There are Wikipedia Nazis who spend all of their waking hours editing. They come through and wipe out things that they don't like, even if the change is for the better. I spent a fair amount of time editing the Spartanburg page, making improvements for the better and taking a few of my own images to 'pretty up' the pages. They came through and wiped out the whole thing. I was quite annoyed. Someone else has since come in and done some other edits so the pages look presentable.

Well, 70,000 is a lot of people, but in the next 20 years Wake will overtake Meck. Its one of those unfortunate things because Wake County has much worse sprawl than Mecklenburg at this point.

Charlotte would kill for a river. I'm quite confident that if they could relocate the Catawba River they would do it.

Wikipedia saves ALL versions of its pages, so its just a matter of reverting it. I personally have not edited anything there in quite some time... but it sounds like Krazeeboi is on top of it.

Its annoying to edit anything on Wikipedia. There are Wikipedia Nazis who spend all of their waking hours editing. They come through and wipe out things that they don't like, even if the change is for the better. I spent a fair amount of time editing the Spartanburg page, making improvements for the better and taking a few of my own images to 'pretty up' the pages. They came through and wiped out the whole thing. I was quite annoyed. Someone else has since come in and done some other edits so the pages look presentable.

Wake County's growth rate in the last 10 years (%) is greater than Mecklenburg's, and if it continues even at the same rate, it will surpass Mecklenburg in population within 10 years. So, 70K would be no problem if things continue as is.

You are so right that Charlotte would kill for a river--and so would Raleigh. We are so lucky that our "Big Three" of Cola., Chas., and Grvl. ALL have river(s) running through them! :shades: They add tremendously to our quality of life, that's for sure.

I agree totally about Wikipedia and its Nazis! I hate to bother anymore for the same reasons you gave. But at least Krazeeboi will take care of famous Columbians. We can't have folks thinking that we have contributed NO ONE to the American experience, right?

Edited by digital_sandlapper

Yahoo.com has a slide show on the 15 most dangerous cities in the US. They use crime statistics for the cities' MSA's, but they label each slide with the name of the principal city of the MSA. Thankfully Columbia isn't on it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/artic...angerous-Cities

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 2 months later...

I think I've found Capitol Center's "twin":

KrogerGO.jpg

c37a782807eef03d015d5fab5e5b2ec1-grande.jpg

This is the Kroger HQ building in downtown Cincinnati.

For those who may be unfamiliar with the Capitol Center, here it is:

327_Outside_without_Building_Name.jpg

That is correct. I have a close friend that works at Kroger's headquarters in Cincinnati and we always joke about that.

• 1 month later...

I don't know where else to put this. I emailed the mayor and all of my city council reps the following attachment about a movement called CEOs for Cities. Daniel Rickenmann emailed me a thank you and said it looks interesting and that he may try to attend the urban planning session at the end of September in DC. Click on "meetings" on the website to see what he's talking about.

http://www.ceosforcities.org/

Edited by CorgiMatt