Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

• 1 month later...

Have you guys seen the show "King of the Crown" on TLC? It's about pageants and is filmed right here in Columbia. The show itself may not be a positive towards the city's image (we are talking about pageant queens here.....who can forget Miss SC who happens to be on the show). But, there are some great aerial shots of downtown and lots of other shots of the entire city between scenes, from the Vista, to 5 pts, West Columbia, to Shandon, etc. It really makes Cola look like a cool city. Check out TLC's website for when new episodes and re-runs air.

Edited by BrasilnSC

Have you guys seen the show "King of the Crown" on TLC? It's about pageants and is filmed right here in Columbia. The show itself may not be a positive towards the city's image (we are talking about pageant queens here.....who can forget Miss SC who happens to be on the show). But, there are some great aerial shots of downtown and lots of other shots of the entire city between scenes, from the Vista, to 5 pts, West Columbia, to Shandon, etc. It really makes Cola look like a cool city. Check out TLC's website for when new episodes and re-runs air.

Of course it does...Columbia IS a cool city. ;)

I watched both Columbia episodes filmed so far of "King of the Crown" and no national TV show has ever made this city look so good. It is nothing but impressive. I didn't even see where the show made anything or anyone look especially bad. So Pelion is a "tiny, tiny, tiny town." It's obvious in the footage of Columbia that it is not a tiny city. It looks like a megapolis. The only frustrating thing is that the shots are so quick; they flash by so fast. But they look fantastic. It's also obvious the camera man has an impeccable eye for composition. He shows the city off beautifully. I'm certain that lots of people watching the show across America opened their eyes wide to discover there's a city here, and they've got to think there must be a lot going on here judging by the shots.

Hey gang... I hope you don't mind, I'm going to put in a shameless plug for a new coworking venue that I'm helping to catalyze here in Columbia: www.columbiacoworking.com.

The concept is essentially a cafe-like environment geared towards mobile workers.

We're still looking for a cool (affordable) space, but The Vista and Main Street are both in play. If anyone knows of any good options... holla.

Edited by emerging.me

I vote for Main Street or a site adjacent to Main on this one. City Center Partnership needs to know about this if they don't already. They are ready to bend over backwards to do anything they can to help anyone who wants to locate in the Main Street corridor.

Great! I sent Matt Kennel a message last night about it, actually, and plan to phone them on Monday. Some municipalities are even helping to fund spaces like this because they increase creative clout and can serve as start-up incubators... once people get together and begin collaborating. I hope that's what will happen in downtown Columbia with our space.

My hope is that we can co-opt some space from the city (or another benefactor) for 6-8 months. By then the community should be large enough where we can afford a decent rent -- members will pay tiered monthly membership fees based on usage.

Edited by emerging.me

Hey everyone this is Growingup15. i havent came on in a While but this is Something i know yall will like. its from me and my Newscast. Heres a New promo i Recreated from an old one back almost 2 years ago.

also heres the Thing i need everyones help that comments on here on Urbanplanet's Columbia Forum. i need help on Info on City developments and projects so i can get stories together on my "Speak up Columbia" Show. if you need more info heres my Email: [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

The Free Times in its current annual "Best Of Columbia" contest, they included a "biggest eyesore" category. The Confederate flag won. Hear that, legislators who use Columbia's name to refer to the General Assembly?

Well that thing has never been supported by Columbians - remember when the city tried to sue the state to get rid of it?

• 3 months later...

Costco and BJ's are hurting the sales of grocery stores like Kroger and Safeway. I like my neighborhood Kroger and Publix, so I'm not so sure I want Costco, etc., moving in. Some of the most progressive, nicest metros and communities in the nation have refused to allow Walmarts in order to help preserve the businesses they already have. I don't shop at Walmart and I don't like the idea of more Walmart-type stores moving in and hurting the stores we already have.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wholesale-clubs-grow-as-apf-3936241115.html?x=0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like for the first time in 35 years, the next governor is poised to be from the Midlands, whether you're talking about the GOP frontrunner (Haley, from Lexington) or the Democratic candidate (Sheheen, from Camden). An article in The State speculates about what that could mean for the region in terms of large economic developments.

Looks like for the first time in 35 years, the next governor is poised to be from the Midlands, whether you're talking about the GOP frontrunner (Haley, from Lexington) or the Democratic candidate (Sheheen, from Camden). An article in The State speculates about what that could mean for the region in terms of large economic developments.

While the governor might provide some assistance, I think the article is making a lot out of nothing, which it later goes on to settle with. The local leaders and the metro itself needs to be able to speak well enough for itself. If that's not the case, the governor will be able to do very little. CU-ICAR has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years, ALL while a Charleston governor was in office (OR out of office 'hiking').

Edited by GvilleSC

While the governor might provide some assistance, I think the article is making a lot out of nothing, which it later goes on to settle with. The local leaders and the metro itself needs to be able to speak well enough for itself. If that's not the case, the governor will be able to do very little. CU-ICAR has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years, ALL while a Charleston governor was in office (OR out of office 'hiking').

But there is still a point to be made, I think. Do you think the Upstate would have gotten BMW if it were not for Carroll Campbell? I agree that Boeing in Charleston probably had very little to do with Sanford.

But there is still a point to be made, I think. Do you think the Upstate would have gotten BMW if it were not for Carroll Campbell? I agree that Boeing in Charleston probably had very little to do with Sanford.

The only time that I can tell when the governor's roots MIGHT would come into play would be if a company were looking at competing sites within the state. But, how often does that really happen? With BMW, maybe. I honestly don't know. Boeing? Probably not, unless they considered the Upstate's aviation cluster. It seems like the author is making excuses as to why Columbia didn't land certain economic developments when other regions did.

If Hydrogen companies choose Columbia for an R&D location, it's not going to be because of where Sheheen or Haley are from, it's going to be because of the City of Columbia and USC.