Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

maybe one day s.c. will see that the flag hurts us more than it helps us. Im tired of going out of state and when asked where i'm from the first thing people say is the state with the confederate flag on the state house!!! Even states with a more racist history down us for this!! This flag make our state seem pretty backwards. Like were still in the 1800's.

I thought we were still in the 1800's. What year is it now? :P

It continues on to say 42 stories on Main Street. Even if the floors are only 10' with a 2' ventilation and spacing between... we're looking at 504'. wow... I just hope its not a box building and has some architecture in it.

It was an "overheard conversation" and the city was discouraging it? That's absurd.

It was an "overheard conversation" and the city was discouraging it? That's absurd.

If the city discourages that, then the city is defintely not trying to be a regional player in the new south movement. It has to be more than that.... I doubt the city would turn something like this down. Especially how hard everyone came down on the city for not progressing.

Hmmm...we could speculate on this one all day long. At any rate, I think one reason why this developer may be looking into Columbia is because, as was stated, the city has a pretty high-occupancy rate in the CBD, downtown residential is on the verge of a pretty big upswing, and I think the market is starting to become oversaturated in cities like Charlotte and Jacksonville, with lots of proposals for high-rise condo buildings. So why not start looking at cities that look promising as far as "the next level" is concerned and invest there?

I wonder if the "Doug" that posted there is our DougL?

This is indeed intriguing. I wonder why teh city would not be infavor of such a thing. He could have been frustrated at the process of getting his project started. Perhaps its the location, rather than the city. Maybe he is trying to tear down some historic building or maybe the city won't buy out the property first. Speculation is indeed infinite here. I suspect that the city would be in favor of this. I hope we hear more on this soon.

Also, what is thie blog thing? how can we be sure that is actually Bob Coble posting there?

I wonder if the "Doug" that posted there is our DougL?

This is indeed intriguing. I wonder why teh city would not be infavor of such a thing. He could have been frustrated at the process of getting his project started. Perhaps its the location, rather than the city. Maybe he is trying to tear down some historic building or maybe the city won't buy out the property first. Speculation is indeed infinite here. I suspect that the city would be in favor of this. I hope we hear more on this soon.

Also, what is thie blog thing? how can we be sure that is actually Bob Coble posting there?

I believe it was the message board on the mayor's official website, so I'm guessing people know him by his username. I'm glad to see that he's posting there -- because he certainly never writes back to emails I've sent. Maybe I'll try there. Good stuff.

It continues on to say 42 stories on Main Street. Even if the floors are only 10' with a 2' ventilation and spacing between... we're looking at 504'. wow... I just hope its not a box building and has some architecture in it.

My only problem with a 40-story tower would be that if it is not in the right place it will throw off our balanced skyline and look weird sticking up all by itself. Could it be that the current Free Times's article on Addams University Bookstore moving to Assembly were Soaps Laundry mat was is related to this tower rumor?

My only problem with a 40-story tower would be that if it is not in the right place it will throw off our balanced skyline and look weird sticking up all by itself. Could it be that the current Free Times's article on Addams University Bookstore moving to Assembly were Soaps Laundry mat was is related to this tower rumor?

The Addams Bookstore location is where Holder Properties is going to build a condo tower. They are still acquiring properties in that area, but I know they already have the meat market, the bookstore and the convenience store.

• 2 weeks later...

Been wanting to post this for a while... my scanner software is screwed up, so I just took a picture of the picture. This is my grandparents walking down Main Street in Columbia. We think it was taken some in the late '30s early '40s. The sign in the top left is for "Marilyn Shoes," which was right next to where Jammin' Java -- my favorite downtown hangout -- is now. I tracked it down using one of those postcard books -- which are really cool by the way. The building on the right, I believe, is the one they just tore down to make way for the new condos. Pretty crazy huh? Look at how busy the street was!! Apparently this was taken by a roving photographer -- the guys that would just randomly snap pictures of people on the street and the approach them to sell 'em a copy. Crazy huh? I thought it was really special.

407677122_l.jpg

Edited by emerging.me

Awesome picture, EM. It is unfortunate how so many people and businesses moved out to the suburbs through the years, but I think Five Points and the Vista have done pretty well. Hopefully with the new residential developments springing up in the downtown area, Main Street will soon teem with that type of activity again!

I went to Columbia for the first time in many years yesterday, mainly to take the kids to EdVenture.

Afterwards, we drove along Gervais Street through downtown. I was pretty impressed with what I saw there. It's not nearly as "dead" as I remember it being.

One thing that struck me is there were several (three that I recall) old train stations that had been converted into shopping/dining. Were those really train stations? I'm curious as to why there were so many of them? Does anyone know the story behind this or know where I can find the information online? I'd be interested in learning more.

Wow RT how long has it been since you have been to Cola ;) . What you saw is the humble beginnigs of the "Vista". This was once Columbia's old warehouse distrcit that recieved an article in national geographic for its blythe. About 12 years ago this area began rennovating itself and it is now starting to catch fire! Those restaraunts, and shops at one time was the Columbia train station. I remember leaving there for a track meet at U of FL. back in 88". I was twelve then. Anyway this area is literally exploding with growth! Everything from Canalside, Greenway Park System, to Innovista, along with other developments going up in West Columbia (known as wither New Brookland, or Vista West).

Here's some info.

The Congaree Vista

Columbia Development Corp.

Vista from The State

Edited by The_sandlapper

One of the renovated train stations is the old Amtrak station. The new one is oon Pulaski Street in the Vista. The other old train station was a freight depot. The other converted train station is where California Dreaming is - the old old train (Union) station from the late 1800's early 1900's, when rail travel was king. Columbia has been a major rail center for 150 years.

I know one of the old railroad stations is now the Blue Marlin restaurant.

I really do have a new appreciation for the Vista. The old and the new complement each other so beautifully within the district. The newer structures, such as the Hampton Inn and EdVenture, really blend in well with the more historic structures within proximity.

Columbia was certainly a railroad hub back in the day, linking the city to Augusta (which was a major textile center), the Upstate, Charlotte, and Charleston. As a matter of fact, Finlay Park back in the day (then known as Seaboard Park) was used as a rail station. The park may look new, but it actually goes back to the mid-1800's; what we see now is basically a reincarnation of the park. Check out any old maps of Columbia and it will be there.

Edited by krazeeboi