Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

WIS News is reporting that crime in the city of Columbia was down in all categories, including murder, in 2005. It was the biggest decrease in crime in the Capital City in 10 years. They have a chart that does show an increase in one category - car thefts I think, so I'm not sure why they're news story says all categories. But all violent crime was down.

WIS News is reporting that crime in the city of Columbia was down in all categories, including murder, in 2005. It was the biggest decrease in crime in the Capital City in 10 years. They have a chart that does show an increase in one category - car thefts I think, so I'm not sure why they're news story says all categories. But all violent crime was down.

Now that is good news.

There is a sharper version of that out on the internet somewhere. Its really cool to look at. I think there is a similar one for Charleston.

Yes, it really does look nice. (I like seeing what use to be in an around our old neighborhoods)

which helps explain why so many columbians are always digging in my neighborhood..

at least over the past 4 decades or more...

I would like to find the history of a piece of land downtown (..like what factory/plant was

there in the 1800's ..and what was later eracted..and so on..)

Hey fellas... I was downtown today... it was really nice (but windy)... took some pics... I'm down at Jammin' Java now uploading them. The condos next door are really coming along.

Most of the images are self-explanatory. Some are kinda random, so if ya have any Qs about what something is just ask.

Downtown Columbia Pics -- Jan. 18, 2006

Awesome pics, EM! This picture really shows how much of a difference Meridian has made in the skyline view from Finlay Park and how First Citizens is trying to get in the shot. It also gives good representation of downtown density:

columbiajan1806_02.jpg

This one captures a portion of Columbia's variety within its skyline (it includes the statehouse's dome):

columbiajan1806_07.jpg

We're just going to need you to get used to the year being 2006, not 2005. :thumbsup::P

I am mostly kidding... but has it occurred to anyone else that Columbia may make a future appearance on "Most Haunted Communities" -- one of those documentary-style shows they air on like TLC or Discovery? Haha. ... Our new premiere downtown neighborhoods -- Bull Street and CanalSide -- will be built on the former sites of the state's "Asylum" and "Death Row."

I am mostly kidding... but has it occurred to anyone else that Columbia may make a future appearance on "Most Haunted Communities" -- one of those documentary-style shows they air on like TLC or Discovery? Haha. ... Our new premiere downtown neighborhoods -- Bull Street and CanalSide -- will be built on the former sites of the state's "Asylum" and "Death Row."

I can see it.

GREAT shots!! Man, that REALLY makes me miss walking around Finlay & other downtown areas taking photos... :cry: I really appreciate seeing these, so thank you so much!!!

I'll have to see if I can dig up some old photos I took from Finlay @10 years ago...I think I have one shot almost identical to one of yours...only it's pre-Washington Mutual (whatever it is now), Meridien, and FC!! A "side-by-side" would be fun to see!

columbiajan1806_02.jpg

I took these on a hazy, sizzling, 100-degree day in July 1993...the crepe myrtles were the only flowers in bloom, of course! :D Sorry the images are kinda small...just did a quick scan of some old 35mm shots!! My 2nd shot is closer to EM's for comparison. Nice change in density from Sidney/Finlay, for sure!! :yahoo:

Cola%20July%201993.jpg

If you want to get to Columbia from the Homepage, it is now easier to do so. You should see a Mid-Atlantic link, and under this you see several southern states. You should see South Carolina in the list. You can click that to link the main SC forum. I like the latest update much better than the one of a couple days ago. Hope this helps. :D

The Southeastern USA was becoming too large, so we split some of the states into a new forum. We now have two Southern forums- the Upper South and the Lower South. These each share a common forum called "The South."

We are now in the Upper South (presently called "Mid-Atlantic, but that will change). Another way to do it is to click on the 'forums' link in the upper left. The links' titles have not yet been updated by Neo.

Also, those are excellen pics! They really show how that gap has been filled. The last two towers to be built in Columbia have not had a box-top, so I am confident that future ones won't either. If we get this 40-storey one, I hope it will have a pinnacle of soem sort.

I think that sounds good!

I would initiate a photo of the day thred but I don't have enough pics.

Its a collaborative effort. I don't have any new photos to share, but I have lots of older ones. The Greenville folks seem to go out and take some new ones every now and then, or take a camera with them when they go out for wahtever reason. Whatever they do, its makes for an interesting thread, with lots of good angles, and shots. Gvl Photo of the Day