Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

My apologies for the delay in responding, but here goes (my apologies in advance for all the quoted responses, monsoon!)...

Wow RT how long has it been since you have been to Cola ;) . What you saw is the humble beginnigs of the "Vista". This was once Columbia's old warehouse distrcit that recieved an article in national geographic for its blythe. About 12 years ago this area began rennovating itself and it is now starting to catch fire! Those restaraunts, and shops at one time was the Columbia train station. I remember leaving there for a track meet at U of FL. back in 88". I was twelve then. Anyway this area is literally exploding with growth! Everything from Canalside, Greenway Park System, to Innovista, along with other developments going up in West Columbia (known as wither New Brookland, or Vista West).

Here's some info.

The Congaree Vista

Columbia Development Corp.

Vista from The State

It's been a looooong time, I'll put it that way. Longer than 12 years at least. In 1988 I was a Freshman at the University of Florida. :-) (no kidding).

Thanks for the links!

Is this what you were refering to as far as the renovated train stations?

Digicam044.jpg

Digicam041.jpg

Digicam043.jpg

Digicam066.jpg

Yes, indeed. Those are the ones!

One of the renovated train stations is the old Amtrak station. The new one is oon Pulaski Street in the Vista. The other old train station was a freight depot. The other converted train station is where California Dreaming is - the old old train (Union) station from the late 1800's early 1900's, when rail travel was king. Columbia has been a major rail center for 150 years.

This vista area and these renovated stations are awesome!

I remembered I found this great link about Columbia's railroad stations.

Columbia Railroad Stations

Thanks! I'll check it out! :-)

I know one of the old railroad stations is now the Blue Marlin restaurant.

I really do have a new appreciation for the Vista. The old and the new complement each other so beautifully within the district. The newer structures, such as the Hampton Inn and EdVenture, really blend in well with the more historic structures within proximity.

Columbia was certainly a railroad hub back in the day, linking the city to Augusta (which was a major textile center), the Upstate, Charlotte, and Charleston. As a matter of fact, Finlay Park back in the day (then known as Seaboard Park) was used as a rail station. The park may look new, but it actually goes back to the mid-1800's; what we see now is basically a reincarnation of the park. Check out any old maps of Columbia and it will be there.

I agree, too. I do have a great appreciation for it myself. I'm planning on taking another day trip down to Cola just to check the vista out, soon! It certainly has captivated me!

Thanks again for all the information, y'all!

Wow, Columbia's getting rave reviews from a Greenvillian....who would've thunk. :P

I just wish that somehow Gervais could become more pedestrian friendly. It seems to be the "dividing line" in the Vista.

I'm across Gervais Street in a blink. I don't get all the fuss about the wide streets. The widest ones have a median in the middle that serves as a landing, Gervais included. When riding in my truck I enjoy looking down the side streets, because the wideness of the streets along with the green lining from the forestry give the city such a graceful look, especially where the lay of the land is mildly hilly.

Its a collaborative effort. I don't have any new photos to share, but I have lots of older ones. The Greenville folks seem to go out and take some new ones every now and then, or take a camera with them when they go out for wahtever reason. Whatever they do, its makes for an interesting thread, with lots of good angles, and shots. Gvl Photo of the Day

I've got 2 or 3 I could lend to the effort. I'll take more the next time I'm down there, too.

That would be great if it happened. Columbia could stand to have a 40 story tower in the skyline, another milestone if anything. I'd be curious to see why this developer is looking into mid sized city markets?

Here's an article in the business section of today's edition of The State that talks about residential development, specifically the condo market, in the city. One factor that I don't think was mentioned was cheap land, especially compared with the coast.

It's interesting to contrast this article with the one about the Bull Street project. The former discusses how the downtown condo market is heating up, with new proposals and construction occurring; the latter talks about how hard it is to get anything done downtown in terms of projects.

^C'mon guys, comment on the cool building! :shades:

Here are some updates from Feb. 8's city council meeting as reported by The Columbia Star:

• Jim Apple, CEO of First Citizens Bank, is the new chairman of the City Center Partnership. For the next year, Apple wants to target three issues: (1) improve lighting, (2) redirect released prisoners out of downtown, and (3) complete the Main Street enhancement project to Elmwood Avenue, all the while filling up empty storefronts and other underutilized spaces.

To #1, I say "Yes!" This has been one of my primary complaints about Main Street. I'm glad that it is at least showing up on the register. I'm baffled by #2. Can somebody fill me in? Is this in regards to the homeless situation?

• A review of the city's affordable housing program in the four city council districts shows that from 2001 through 2005, Districts 1 and 2 used up about $7 million each in City Living Housing Initiative loans and grants. District 3 spent almost $9 million; and District 4, not quite $1 million. Altogether, over $24 million was spent for the five years. I'm quoting the next part:

The current scene is grim, if council can be believed. Educated, successful, relatively affluent families are moving inside the city limits in droves. The horror! Property values are on the rise. The shame! Columbia might actually approach urbanity soon enough. The nerve! Cromartie declared the rising trends unacceptable, and he professed intentions to stop gentrification. "We need to see to it CanalSide and Bull Street will not be gentrified," said Cromartie.

While I have basically abandoned all hope for CanalSide, I hope the Bull Street project can at least pull off some semblence of economic diversity. Although Cromartie is using "gentrified" incorrectly, I see what he means.

• Emily Cooper, co-chair of Habitat 29203, asked council to maintain the city's overall diversity and particularly the "rainbow charm" in her Eau Claire neighborhood. Cooper said, "Elmwood Park, I'm told, is 20% African

Edited by krazeeboi

I'd like for the next residential development to go up in Columbia to look like this project slated to go up in Lexington, KY:

lofts.gif

To be honest I don't care for a building whose top floors are narrower than the building as a whole. Personally I could stand for First Citizens to retain its footprint width all the way to the top. I like the brick on your illustration.

Over the weekend I received news on the new bus transit building is well on it way..infact the new building may have already gone up... :thumbsup: yes... kline iron and steel, now the old bus transit..

come on Huger street make a grand entrance into the Vista (sort of like gervais and blossom street bridge

does coming in from west columbia) but Huger St. hopefully would be on a larger scale with office and residential buildings, new roadsways to handle the traffic flow into the city of columbia from I-26.. :yahoo:

I just wanted to show off this really cool picture I took of Trinity Episcopal Church downtown, which has got to be one of the coolest church buildings I've ever seen:

trinityepiscopal.jpg

I love that churh, one of my favorite landmarks in the city! Looks like an old spanish mission from the days when spain and the french huegonots used to inhabit colonial SC.