Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

thanks for posting that... I had never thought about the building codes associated with live/work units.

But, I have a completely separate question. Has anyone heard any speculation about a possible widening of 126, 26, 20, and/or their intersection? Honestly that intersection is just becoming unbearable here lately. Also, this could just be in my head, but has anyone else noticed what seems to be more traffic downtown in the last few months?

thanks for posting that... I had never thought about the building codes associated with live/work units.

But, I have a completely separate question. Has anyone heard any speculation about a possible widening of 126, 26, 20, and/or their intersection? Honestly that intersection is just becoming unbearable here lately. Also, this could just be in my head, but has anyone else noticed what seems to be more traffic downtown in the last few months?

I have a perfect solution: people move back into town in mid to high density developments and either walk to work or take a trolley or monorail, which we need badly, IMO.

A word of caution about live/work units, such as Renaissance Plaza, that are growing in popularity all over the country, depending on SC laws: http://marynewsom.blogspot.com/2006/02/pla...pias-crash.html

I don't see the difference in codes making a significant impact on the cost of units. First of all, structurally, the IBC (International Building Code) and the IRC (International Residential Code) are ALMOST identical. There may be some different rules with fire separation, but it would be no more stringent than any multi-family apartment unit. Apartments are built under IBC and last I checked, there was no problem with them competing with SFR units on price.

The downtown office real estate market is very healthy now. And at night more people are coming to the Vista, both because of word of mouth over time and because of more restaurants and night clubs. Also, there's usually something going on at the Convention Center. Center City Columbia is starting to turn heads. Even many local suburban city naysayers are beginning to wake up. According to an article in today's The State, a city council member and the mayor talked recently about more and more people, especially young people, moving into the city because they want to be involved. All of those things are adding up to make downtown more vibrant. That means more traffic.

Traffic has always been kind of 'bad' downtown. Rush hour is miserable. I find that taking the non major roads (not Assmbley, Huger, Gervais, Bull, or Elmwood) is consitently faster during the more congested times of day. Its the best thing about having such a large grid pattern.

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that Carolina basketball has been aired alot more on TV this year? They are playing again tonight on ESPN. There season has been heartbreaking but atleast they are getting some love on a national and regional scale this year. I wonder if Spurrier being there has anything to do with generous airtime? Either way I like it though. I constantly hear the annoncers say "Carolina", and Columbia w/o adding SC and that's how it should be. Hope the pull off another upset tonight!

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that Carolina basketball has been aired alot more on TV this year? They are playing again tonight on ESPN. There season has been heartbreaking but atleast they are getting some love on a national and regional scale this year. I wonder if Spurrier being there has anything to do with generous airtime? Either way I like it though. I constantly hear the annoncers say "Carolina", and Columbia w/o adding SC and that's how it should be. Hope the pull off another upset tonight!

They've had alot of TV games because we won the NIT last year and had 4 starters returning. Speaking of heartbreaking, I just got home from the Carolina LSU game. Another last minute loss. :( I haven't missed a USC home basketball game since December 1996 and only a half dozen since 1982, so these losses REALLY hurt.

Edited by waccamatt

^Yeah I saw that yestarday and posted in the SC economic engine thread. Didn't get many responses though? Kinda nullifies that whole Greenville/upstate we should secede with CLT, & RDU economic engine thing. As I said though the state's economic engine may come as a surprise but if one truly thinks about it should be a no brainer.

For the 7th year in a row, The State has dominated the S.C. Journalism awards. Every newspaper has its critics, and I don't think The State is perfect, but I am proud that it beats all other newspapers in South Carolina year after year for excellence. The comments in today's article about the awards are great.

This is way off topic, but I'd guess the Greenville forumers are smarting over the huge front-page article in today's The Greenville News.

I replied to the comment in the SC's Economic Engine thread. You oughtn't look down so much on Greenville, as it is a very important city in this state. I don't ever recall replying in the "secession" thread, because I do not agree with that philosophy. Consider the source of that thread. Will we ever get along? I seriously doubt it, but hope to see the day. :)

I replied to the comment in the SC's Economic Engine thread. You oughtn't look down so much on Greenville, as it is a very important city in this state. I don't ever recall replying in the "secession" thread, because I do not agree with that philosophy. Consider the source of that thread. Will we ever get along? I seriously doubt it, but hope to see the day. :)

I didn't know a Greenvillian could ever feel that his city was looked down on by a Columbian. I always assume Greenvillians look down on Columbia. I assume the same of Charlestonians. I just sometimes comment on things like that article because of my feeling that Columbia is looked down on by people from SC's other largest cities.

I can understand your feelings, but all you have to do is visit each of the others to see. I think it is quite clear that these cities all line up well as equally important, and it appears that the growth is equally strong within each. Differences make them unique, but size and individual importance is becoming (and should be) less noticeable. :thumbsup:

I can understand your feelings, but all you have to do is visit each of the others to see. I think it is quite clear that these cities all line up well as equally important, and it appears that the growth is equally strong within each. Differences make them unique, but size and individual importance is becoming (and should be) less noticeable. :thumbsup:

Hey I agree with that!