Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

I didn't know a Greenvillian could ever feel that his city was looked down on by a Columbian. I always assume Greenvillians look down on Columbia. I assume the same of Charlestonians. I just sometimes comment on things like that article because of my feeling that Columbia is looked down on by people from SC's other largest cities.

I think the problem here (for lack of a better word) is that there are so many Greenvillians on this board. They tend to dominate state discussions. Charlestonians feel the same way about Columbia and Greenville. Its just not true though. Greenville also has a lot of bragging rights becuase not only do they have a lot of planned projects, they are getting things done. One could also make the arguement that up until a few years ago, Greenville was not at the same level as Charleston or Columbia... thats as a city, not necessarily economically.

Columbia's projects are starting off slow (Canalside). But once they get going they will be equally impressive.

Columbia is one of the best places to live in the state. Its high quality of life rankings repeatedly back that up. I can go on forever about why I love Columbia... Just don't get discouraged.

They've had alot of TV games because we won the NIT last year and had 4 starters returning. Speaking of heartbreaking, I just got home from the Carolina LSU game. Another last minute loss. :( I haven't missed a USC home basketball game since December 1996 and only a half dozen since 1982, so these losses REALLY hurt.

Well, it seems as though Carolina is starting to win when it counts. It beat Mississippi State the other day, and just recently got through defeating Tennessee 79-71. I guess there is a little light at the end of the tunnel for Odom. ;)

Well, it seems as though Carolina is starting to win when it counts. It beat Mississippi State the other day, and just recently got through defeating Tennessee 79-71. I guess there is a little light at the end of the tunnel for Odom. ;)

Yep, I took yesterday and today off to watch the SEC Tournament. Before we went on the slid I was going to go to Nashville, but I'm happy I at least got to watch these wins on TV. 8 more straight for the NCAA title. Go Cocks! Cockadoodledooooooooo.

Oh well, USC gave it a valiant effort, but fell to Florida in the SEC Championship game, 49-47. I hurts more when you come so close. Maybe they'll get an invite to the NIT and win it again?

I feel so sorry for Tre Kelly. He missed that 3-point shot at the end that most likely would have won it. Oh well, he's only a junior.

Hey guys! I've been in Washington DC for several days now on vacation. While killing some time today, I walked into a Barnes & Noble bookstore. I was in the travel section and noticed one of those city guides for Charleston. The first thing I noticed in the introduction was a boast about Charleston being the 2nd largest city in SC, which is true. What really ticked me off is that in the next statement it mentioned that only GREENVILLE was larger! A complete inaccuracy! How does this get into printed media like this? Greenville's city proper is about have the size of Columbia's. Granted the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson metro is larger (and is also probably larger than the sqare mileage of several small states). And, of course, no mention of Columbia at all! What do you guys think about this!?

There's no excuse for that, whether we're talking about the population of the city proper, UA, or MSA. Columbia has been the largest city in SC for some time now, it has the 2nd largest UA (in 2000), and the 2nd largest MSA for 2000, but now it is the largest according to the revised definitions of the census bureau. I hope you got the publisher's name or contact information to let them know of their error.

I was reading through a travel guide last week at a B&N in Greenville which emphasized Columbia and Charleston, but mentioned Greenville as a quaint mountain village of 56,000 - very little else. I guess it depends on the publishers. I have noticed many inaccuracies in these kinds of books. :(

There's no excuse for that, whether we're talking about the population of the city proper, UA, or MSA. Columbia has been the largest city in SC for some time now, it has the 2nd largest UA (in 2000), and the 2nd largest MSA for 2000, but now it is the largest according to the revised definitions of the census bureau. I hope you got the publisher's name or contact information to let them know of their error.

The book was called Insiders' Guide to Charleston. Publisher: Globe Pequot Press. I believe it was the 9th edition. You are all welcome to check this out for yourselves. By the way, I love Columbia because it's a wonderful city and because I live here. I'm also proud that both Greenville and Charleston are also wonderful cities in South Carolina. We just need to observe the facts, no matter which city they favor.

The facts are that cities do not stop at their corporate limits. A city is better defined by its metro or urban area. MSA's are what companies use to determine where they locate their chains, and they are usually how the government compares cities.

I wish the momentum in the Vista and on Main was more fluid. It won't happen until Assembly gets narrowed and beautified.

Once the other 3 beautification projects are finished we can push the city to work on Assembly Street. I haven't heard much lately on the North Main beautification. Has anyone heard when that will happen?

County population estimates were released today by the US Census Bureau. Using the current MSA formulation (which consists of Calhoun, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lexington, Richland, and Saluda counties), the 2005 Columbia MSA population would be 689,878, up roughly 10,000 residents from 2004. Of course, this is assuming that no other county has been added to the MSA (which probably isn't the case).

The CSA population (which includes Newberry County) would be 727,128, up ~11,000 from 2004.

Edited by krazeeboi

I was disappointed. No population figures. They just talked in general terms about cities as economic engines and the need for updated annexation laws, which is a subject I am interested in, but no pop figures today.

The US Census Bureau released its county population estimates through 7/1/05 today. Richland County's population was estimated to be 340,078 as of that date. The six-county Columbia MSA population was estimated to be 689,878. From 7/1/04 to 7/1/05, Richland County's population increase was estimated to be well over 4000 and Lexington County's increase was estimated to be over 4000 but less than Richland. Of note to me is that they both outpaced Charleston County's estimate for the same time period with that county gaining 2 thousand and something. Richland is just getting cranked up.

All of our metros gained between 10,000-11,000 residents. Healthy, but the increase in Wake County, NC alone rivals that of our three major MSAs combined. We've yet more work to do.

Not concerned about NC. And don't want growth to come faster than it can be planned for.

Here's something interesting regarding our earlier discussions (arguments) about city/urban area/county population growth within the Columbia and Charleston regions. The Census Bureau numbers released today show that from 2004 to 2005, Richland County ranked 5th in the state compared to Charleston County's 8th place ranking in population growth, and 10th in the state compared to Charleston County's 14th place ranking in growth percentage. Richland County's population during that same period reversed a trend and edged Lexington County's - 4,481 to 4,411. Lexington County ranked #6 in both of the aforementioned growth categories. Charleston County's increase during that period was 2,965.