IN PROGRESS: Save the Bay Headquarters

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Save the Bay from the Save the Bay headquarters! :o

Actually, it's not that terrible. I see thay've got some solar going on, and it looks like they've piled earth along the sides of the building which will insulate it and conserve energy. Now watch them go and ring it with a giant paved parking lot.

I've been meaning to try to dig up some info on this project, thanks for posting it.

Save the Bay from the Save the Bay headquarters!  :o

Actually, it's not that terrible. I see thay've got some solar going on, and it looks like they've piled earth along the sides of the building which will insulate it and conserve energy. Now watch them go and ring it with a giant paved parking lot.

I've been meaning to try to dig up some info on this project, thanks for posting it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They'll have beautiful views of the bay!

Agreed. The views are among the best in RI. And being the powerhouse fundraiser that they are, STB has the ability to revitalize the outer point by themselves.

As far as the nitty gritty goes on the building design, the solar should be great if they can get it working, but the green roof on the north side is already a bust. Aparently they were installing the wrong kinds of plants (not the ones orignially designated?) for a north facing open salt breeze application.

The original landscape was done by Andropogon out of MA, and looked to be really interesting from old STB proposals I've seen around. A lot like Collier Point I believe.

• 1 month later...

I got to walk through the new headquarters today. I have to say, as stupid as it looks fromthe outside, it's awesome inside and has amazing views of the bay. When you walk in on the floor there's a huge map of Narragansett Bay thats gotta be atleast 20 feet wide. Every window has an amazing view, especially the classrooms which have windows on two sides that give a great view of Edgewood harbor and the rest of the bay.

Outside there's an ampitheater that the guy said was built using old granite curbing that was buried on the site. The whole site is permeable surface too, except for a few paved sidewalks. Eventually they're gonna build a dock as well to give tours of the bay to students, etc.

Overall I was really impressed. Although the whole site screams suburban office, its a good use for a former brownfield and utilizes environmentally friendly tactics with its green roof and massive mounds of dirt/grass that cover over half of one of the walls. The inside is spectacular too, with uncanny views of the bay.

Stupid question...  Where exactly is this and how do you get there?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From Allens Ave., go down Harborside Blvd (Washington Park area) and at the end, theres a right hand turn that leads to the new building-you can see it pretty well its kinda in the middle of nothing.

• 5 months later...

Archived