Federal Hill Restaurant/Retail

Cotuit

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I was at a Board of Licenses meeting at City Hall last week. Someone was applying for a license to operate a bar/pub at the old Gracie's location.

The pub is called Tammany Hall and is now open. The old bank building (I think it's a bank) across from Artini and Chef Walter's that has been persistantly vacant is finally getting a tenant it seems. There's some new stylish lighting and awnings outside, and it looks like new windows have been put in (Adesso maybe...).

• 2 weeks later...

There was a Subway next to Aqua Viva for about a minute and a half. There is now a sign on the building that says "Artini" a cafe and lounge is coming soon.

It cracks me up that Subway actually thought they could last on Federal Hill. What's next, Olive Garden?

Some of my favorite spots on Atwells are the Providence Oyster Bar (for a nice restaurant), Angelo's (it's a RI tradition, and its cheap!), and Jessie's (for a dessert bar).

This area (Thayer too I suppose) is by far the most vibrant in the city. Imagine Weybosset or Washington looking like Atwells!

The old bank building (I think it's a bank) across from Artini and Chef Walter's that has been persistantly vacant is finally getting a tenant it seems. There's some new stylish lighting and awnings outside, and it looks like new windows have been put in (Adesso maybe...).

This is moving right along. There were people in their working on it on Monday. There's a large bar so far.

• 1 month later...

Dressing up the slum?

2006-0303-fedhill001.jpg

2006-0303-fedhill002.jpg

This is the building that Ocean State Chocolates is in. Between Roma and Artini. If they take down this scaffolding to reveal new vinyl siding, I will slit my wrists!

Traffic humps on Atwells? :shok: You know what that means... they'll all be flying down Spruce to Dale St and someone will get clipped in front of Caserta's. But we all know that cop was up to no good that night the girl died. He was, as they say these days, overserved.

Has anybody been to Tammany Hall yet?

I wish they would open up a bar on Atwells near Eagle Square or up on the Mount. We "gained" a 24 hour Laundromat where Blockbuster used to be at Atwells and Mt. Pleasant when they moved the store to the shopping plaza, and Taste of China (takeout only) and Mexico (which closes at 9:00) are next door. The only place around is the Old Timers' Tap on Mt. Pleasant Ave. which looks like a real dive, but I've never walked in. I'm only 25, and I hate Natural Light.

Traffic humps on Atwells? :shok: You know what that means... they'll all be flying down Spruce to Dale St and someone will get clipped in front of Caserta's. But we all know that cop was up to no good that night the girl died. He was, as they say these days, overserved.

Has anybody been to Tammany Hall yet?

I wish they would open up a bar on Atwells near Eagle Square or up on the Mount. We "gained" a 24 hour Laundromat where Blockbuster used to be at Atwells and Mt. Pleasant when they moved the store to the shopping plaza, and Taste of China (takeout only) and Mexico (which closes at 9:00) are next door. The only place around is the Old Timers' Tap on Mt. Pleasant Ave. which looks like a real dive, but I've never walked in. I'm only 25, and I hate Natural Light.

Old Timer's is where the politicians used to hang out and cut deals. It's mentioned a few times in the Prince of Providence.

Old Timer's is where the politicians used to hang out and cut deals. It's mentioned a few times in the Prince of Providence.

Yea, good book... I guess you used to be able to put down a couple grand on the Pats there in the old days as well. :shades:

Traffic humps on Atwells?

I don't think random humps are the right answer, but raising the interesctions at Dean, DePasquale, and Knight would help things, it'll stop people from flooring it on the yellow.

The Dean intersection needs to be completely rebuilt. Dean north of Atwells needs to be redesigned to stop being a surface highway. It needs to be narrowed and moved over, (remove the island and remove the parking on the east side of the street) to line up better with the southern section. Lane direction signs need to be installed too because Rhode Islanders are apparently too stupid to know you can't turn left from the right lane. And maybe a sign that says red means stop with a big swatch of color to show people what red is, maybe a kindergarten teacher on the corner to go over colors with people, am I starting to sound sarcastic? People are indeed litterally this stupid. Raising this intersction would also help with the fact that people drive through the intersection northbound at breakneck speeds. Oh and some functional crosswalk signals would be nice.

Atwells and DePasquale works as designed, a raised intersection will stop people from gunning it through the yellow as I said before, and slow them on green late at night when speed is an issue. Why this intersection hasn't received LED traffic signals yet is beyond me. The lenses on the lights are so old and discolored it's a wonder anyone knows what color the light is. And again, some functional walk signals. :rolleyes:

A traffic light is most certainly needed at Knight, and obviously if/when Belmonte Castello happens it will be needed even more, I don't see why this is a question. Pedestrian activity in this area is heavy due to the fact that so many people get off the bus there and walk to the towers. There's also a lot of people walking to/from Eagle Square. Further more, by the time you reach Knight, most of the heavy traffic has thinned and traffic speeds up again, even at rush hour and on Friday restaurant nights.

In other areas, such as Sutton, Acorn, America... there needs to be bump outs to allow people to have a shorter distance to cross and narrow the street a bit to give traffic the impression that the street is smaller.

At the East end, the Bradford Street intersection needs some help. There are a lot of people (especially elderly people on their way from Dominica Manor to Dunkin Donuts) crossing there, and there is a surprising amount of traffic on Bradford Street itself. I don't know if a traffic light is absolutely needed, though if a large residential project was built on one the parcels between Broadway and Atwells it probably would be. At the very least, bump outs for the sidewalks are needed and the crosswallks need to be repainted (they were never repainted after the repaving). No brick crosswalks please though (in fact, all the brick on Atwells needs to be removed). Zebra crossings are much better.

Also, at Bradford, the outbound bus stop should be improved. There are many people from Dominica Manor waiting out in the rain and snow because there is no shelter and no bench at the outbound stop. It's heavily used by people going to Eagle Square. Many people wait for the outbound bus at the inbound stop then dart across the street when they see the bus/trolley coming over the highway.

• 3 weeks later...

Dina's magically re-opened this week. :huh:

And now it's magically closed again, for good this time. The inside is gutted and the "Pizza" sign whihc was set vertically on the second floor and lit, and which I lived, is gone. :( Next door, Mia Sushi, which closed last year, had activity inside tonight. Don't know if the Mia and Dina's spots are being combined or what. In the place that was briefly Casablanca, it looks like a new bakery is opening? Don't know what that says about the Heritage place plan.

• 1 month later...

I went to Angelo's for lunch today. No nonsense Italian cuisine, very good service. I had a cup of Escarole soup and the Veal Parmesan. Very good, the sauce was excellent.

Mom had the eggplant, which was spectacular... I haven't found a good eggplant dinner since I was at this joint across from the Garden in Boston 3 years ago - which I couldn't tell you the name of if you paid me what Jeremy Jacobs made last year.

I'll be back!

I haven't found a good eggplant dinner since I was at this joint across from the Garden in Boston 3 years ago - which I couldn't tell you the name of if you paid me what Jeremy Jacobs made last year.

I'll be back!

Oh please, don't get me started on that cheap ba*#$@%!!!!!!

The old Providence Cheese Shop location at Dean and Atwells has some interior renovation going on, I really wish they'd just bulldoze that entire block.

The location that was a sushi place next door to what was Dina's across from Bank of America has a new awning up that says "Lot 401 Restaurant East." Though the location is west of the Lot 401 in the J.D. :unsure:

What was Aqua Viva in Chef Walter's building is becoming a gourmet food to go place (according to Providence Montly). Looks like it's about ready to open. Aqua Viva is going to Pawtucket with Chef Walter's cooking school. Walter's is on the second floor of the Atwells location.

• 2 weeks later...

The old Providence Cheese Shop location at Dean and Atwells has some interior renovation going on, I really wish they'd just bulldoze that entire block.

The location that was a sushi place next door to what was Dina's across from Bank of America has a new awning up that says "Lot 401 Restaurant East." Though the location is west of the Lot 401 in the J.D. :unsure:

What was Aqua Viva in Chef Walter's building is becoming a gourmet food to go place (according to Providence Montly). Looks like it's about ready to open. Aqua Viva is going to Pawtucket with Chef Walter's cooking school. Walter's is on the second floor of the Atwells location.

Also,

The convenience store next to BOA was just sold and there are permit signs for a new business in the window. Adesso is moving in shortly to the renovated building that used to be a karate school. Federal Hill is showing some new signs of life. Any news on when the Rialto is breaking ground?

Did Federal Hill place a ban on diners in the month of May?

The Grill on the Hill is closed indefinitely, and Al and Betty's was closed on Tuesday around 9:15 am.

What's up?! :huh:

• 1 month later...

The Grill on the Hill is closed indefinitely, and Al and Betty's was closed on Tuesday around 9:15 am.

I heard someone say in passing, while I was walking down the street that Al & Betty's was re-opening. Take that as you will, it's literally 'word on the street.'

Anyone know what's up with Angelo's? They've been closed for a few weeks (ages in the restaurant world) and have been remodeling the interior. The work has moved outside where they are now repointing the bricks on the mural and also demoing the faux stone on the facade (tentative yay, depends on what the new facade looks like).

Is Angelo's coming back to that spot? Are they upscaling at all? Just a time for a big reno maybe?

ocean state chocolates is relocating to Wickford. The new location will feature free parking.

They have one of those 'non-transparent' store fronts like MuMu. It's hard to tell if they're open half the time. It hasn't helped that the building they're in has been covered with scaffolding the last few months. Also, not many visitors venture very far beyond DePasquale Square, the west end of Atwells is sort of a no mans land. Hopefully 333 Atwells will help to draw visitors further down Atwells. It would also help if there were more shops on Atwells encouraging people to stroll (this is my boyfriend's problem with the area, he doesn't tell people to go to Federal Hill unless they are hungry).

They have one of those 'non-transparent' store fronts like MuMu.

True...

It would also help if there were more shops on Atwells encouraging people to stroll (this is my boyfriend's problem with the area, he doesn't tell people to go to Federal Hill unless they are hungry).

Also true... I consider Federal Hill a point-to-point eating destination. I never stroll it.

- Garris

I heard someone say in passing, while I was walking down the street that Al & Betty's was re-opening. Take that as you will, it's literally 'word on the street.'

The only reason I tried the place is its in the city and close enough to the highway to appease my suburbanite family. The food is ok. I'd like to try Nick's but I believe they still think Broadway is scary (like the last time they were there - around 1991).

Is Angelo's coming back to that spot? Are they upscaling at all? Just a time for a big reno maybe?

I hope your prediction's right. It's probably the right time to say goodbye to the 70s wood-panel walls and get some snazzy menus to replace the "price list" which hangs on the wall in the middle of the dining room.

Go to Andino's for lunch. :thumbsup: The atmosphere and service would suggest the meal prices be higher... but they're not, and the food is very good. I think its the best value on the Hill.

Archived