Federal Hill Restaurant/Retail

Cotuit

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly is the entity occupying the first floor (right side) of the building across from Euro Bistro on Atwells? Anyone know?

I always see people hanging out outside late night... :huh:

IT'S PINK! I LOVE IT!

2006-0802-dolcevilla001.jpg

Nice sign too, which I believe is a temporary banner, it looks like there's fastening for a more substantial sign.

2006-0802-dolcevilla002.jpg

Imagine trying to get a pink building or a sign that big through the Downcity Design Review Committee? Now, the building Gepetto's is in needs to be painted blue.

Are we going for the art deco look now? I feel like I'm still in Miami....just got back now! I think it looks a little tacky...maybe if all of Atwells was themed like this..it would be OK. One or two buildings like this on the strip might be a great contrast, but grouped together??? I'm still looking for the palm trees.

The people with disposible income are not moving to Atwells, they are moving to Broadway and the Armory. This is why I'm so concerned about the 'Back of the Hill' area. This area has the potential to become a very attractive owner occupied neighborhood, if only they'd stop tearing down buildings for surface parking.

I think for a lot of the people moving to the Armory/Broadway one of the great features is that it is close to federal hill. I love being able to zip over to Scialo and pickup some pastries. I think that one of the things keeping people from wanting to move TO the hill is the density. I'm all for urban density, but in the immediate Hill area it is all extremely working class dillapidated houses that are right on top of each other with nothing but pavement in between. I would love to live right on the hill and be able to walk from my house to the shops and restaurants, but I need at least a little backyard and a few trees to feel human. If the housing infrastructure was taller buildings with some green space it would be another story. The sad thing is that a lot of them are really neat old houses, they were just unfortunately all built 2 feet apart.

Liam

I think there can be high density houses (even attached row/townhouses) which contain a fenced-in backyard/garden the size of which would not be a vast expanse but certainly large enough for private outdoor leisure. I'm almost certain that this is the case in London. Any ex-New Yorkers know if this is the case there among the brownstones of Brooklyn and Manhattan?

I think for a lot of the people moving to the Armory/Broadway one of the great features is that it is close to federal hill. I love being able to zip over to Scialo and pickup some pastries. I think that one of the things keeping people from wanting to move TO the hill is the density. I'm all for urban density, but in the immediate Hill area it is all extremely working class dillapidated houses that are right on top of each other with nothing but pavement in between. I would love to live right on the hill and be able to walk from my house to the shops and restaurants, but I need at least a little backyard and a few trees to feel human. If the housing infrastructure was taller buildings with some green space it would be another story. The sad thing is that a lot of them are really neat old houses, they were just unfortunately all built 2 feet apart.

Liam

i live in Fed Hill and i'd be hard pressed to move any closer to Atwells (currently about 4 blocks away) for a number of reasons:

1. that i'd be afraid that my house or all the houses around me would be knocked down for yet another giant parking lot.

2. that it is often dirty and ratty with all the restaurant's dumpsters. Living among restaurants is hardly charming.

3. That it has the potential to be loud for a good portion of the evening and certainly most days.

4. that on fridays it smells like fish up there--the air quality up there is terrible.

that said, i might consider one of those 333 Atwells condos as it would have quiet off street parking and be a little insulated from the noise.

The Hill has got to be one of the rattiest neighborhoods in the city, I'd never want to live on the first floor of any apartment right off Atwells. Sucks that one of the most vibrant and happening streets is also the most rat infested, the price to pay I guess for all that good food.

I think there can be high density houses (even attached row/townhouses) which contain a fenced-in backyard/garden the size of which would not be a vast expanse but certainly large enough for private outdoor leisure. I'm almost certain that this is the case in London. Any ex-New Yorkers know if this is the case there among the brownstones of Brooklyn and Manhattan?

Absolutely! You can definitely have high density housing (much more dense than the hill even) and still have greenspace. Unfortunately the Hill evolved as a working class neighborhood. If you needed more room for you extended family you built another house in your backyard. If you then needed parking you paved what yard was left. It has made for a pretty lousy selection of residential.

went to Cassarino's Friday - (food was great - try the cajun chicken penne dish). I saw some guys working on what looks like will become a small grocery store. Not sure if anyone knew about that yet, so I figured I'd let y'all know...

It might be Spezia. It's a natural food market going into the old Aquaviva space.

what can you tell us about Cafe Dolce Vita and the whole breakfast/pink building thang?

I can tell you it is open. And I can report that a friend who went for dinner LOOOOOOOVED it. I haven't been yet.

Absolutely! You can definitely have high density housing (much more dense than the hill even) and still have greenspace. Unfortunately the Hill evolved as a working class neighborhood. If you needed more room for you extended family you built another house in your backyard. If you then needed parking you paved what yard was left. It has made for a pretty selection of residential.

Abolish the parking ban and you would instantly see an increase in both yards and trees in Federal Hill.

Abolish the parking ban and you would instantly see an increase in both yards and trees in Federal Hill.

Amen!

I've had a number of discussions with people about the logic behind the parking ban. The one advantage that I see is that people don't get all territorial about "their" parking spot which they dug out of the snow in the middle of January. In some places like Cambridges it seems that once you've done that, the space is yours until the spring thaw!

Ultimately, when you weigh the pros and cons, I think overturning the parking ban would help maintain our grassy side- and back-yards which would help reduce runoff and make Federal Hill a more pleasant place to live.

Kent

Ultimately, when you weigh the pros and cons, I think overturning the parking ban would help maintain our grassy side- and back-yards which would help reduce runoff and make Federal Hill a more pleasant place to live.

Well welcome to UP Kent! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed some people working in the little space that used to be a real estate office next to Mediterraneo this morning.

Someone's also put newspapers over the windows of the spot that used to be Al & Betty's at the corner of Atwells and Dean. I spoke to one of the former employees of Al & Betty's a few months ago and she said she wanted to open a cafe in that spot, but I don't know if she is actually going through with that or if something else is happening there (or maybe someone just likes newspaper covered windows).

Someone's also put newspapers over the windows of the spot that used to be Al & Betty's at the corner of Atwells and Dean. I spoke to one of the former employees of Al & Betty's a few months ago and she said she wanted to open a cafe in that spot, but I don't know if she is actually going through with that or if something else is happening there (or maybe someone just likes newspaper covered windows).

Yeah, I'm leaning towards tacky, they are reusing the sign that's been there since Providence Cheese and probably before. Really I just don't like it from a graphic design perspective, you don't remember the name (and neither do I) because you can't really read the name.

Archived