What will Union County look like....

atownrocks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monroe will be the new ghetto, Weddington/Waxhaw will be the new upscale areas. there will definately be a town center/mall or few. Places like Wingate and New Salem may still be rural though.. though Wingate might experience some growth due to the college there

Personally, if we don't curb suburbia in time cities like Marshville and Wingate will eventually be taken over by suburban sprawl when the US74 bypass gets built. I hate what Waxhaw has become because I remember what Waxhaw was like as a great small town. Now with the McMansions and strip-malls rapidly filling in the countryside I feel like Waxhaw may soon never be able to reclaim what made it so desirable in the first place. News of the upcoming Birkdale style development further bothers me and I wonder if Waxhaw's downtown retail can withstand the blow created by stopping Charlottean's on Providence before they really enter the town. Leaving Waxhaw with only humdrum chain options just like every other suburban town. I wish people knew Waxhaw's incredible history and worked to preserve the Revolutionary Battlefields and historic homes. Waxhaw has some amazing stories that will soon be forgotten in a suburban haze. Weddington on the other hand will probably continue to be field upon field of mediocre McMansions as far as the eye can see. I still wonder what fake stucco and buckled vinyl siding will look like in 30 years. Oh wait; western Union County isn't thinking that far ahead.... Monroe being slower to grow than its peers like Concord is in full embracive mode to whatever anyone is willing to give it which is a true shame because Monroe's downtown, although sleepy now, has the potential to be remarkable. I think Monroe will simply continue to grow in the same manner it has for the last 20 years. It will focus on auto-oriented development along 74 and will continue to move development northwest. I think Union County deserves better than this but I think Union County locals are still to "small town" to truly understand how to properly handle the growth that will continue and the newcomers are only going to add to the growth problems that they began. I would love to see Union County focus its phenomenal growth into positive patterns and I would love to see its towns mature into something great. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen because no one there knows what they are doing. Union County will pretty much be the same later as it is now, except there will be a whole lot more of it.

Here is a more general question - compared to Atlanta or other larger urban areas - which 'sides' of Charlotte are receiving more attention? As an example, the entire north side of Atlanta is the most favored, with the northeast & northwest being more affordable as the north (Duluth / Roswell / east Cobb) is the most affluent. The east, west & south suburbs are also more affordable, with many of these being home to large numbers of minorities (Clayton & Dekalb are majority Black).

Considering Charlotte has grown southward at a faster pace since the 1970's, but since the 1990's has recentered growth back to the north - are there any sides more favorable now? Certainly it seems the east side towards Albemarle & the west side between Gastonia & around the airport are growing the slowest.

I would have viewed Monroe & Rock Hill as being the future hot spots, since Matthews / Mint Hill / Pineville have been so popular. But that certainly has appeared to change as north Mecklenburg & Concord are doing extremely well, and the growth has been better managed.

Sorry, I'm starting to ramble so I'm ending this little chat with myself ;)

That's an excellent question that I constantly wonder about here. Unlike many metro areas, none of the surrounding counties are considered "swanky"...i.e. Buck County, PA....Westchester County, NY.

I think the general feeling is that the surrounding counties are all still somewhat "burnnecky" though this is certainly changing. Western Union county and Southern Iredell along the lake are the most upscale. Cabarrus is seeing lots of growth, but most of it is all entry level housing. York County is similar, though somewhat higher end. Gaston is seeing almost no growth, but will soon though the towns and county are somewhat resistant to it. Lincoln and Lancaster have seen little yet, though even in the last 2 years large project have been announced there. That was a rambling response.

In general, I would say that Union is seeing the most upscale additions, though none of it is sustainable.

That's an excellent question that I constantly wonder about here.  Unlike many metro areas, none of the surrounding counties are considered "swanky"...i.e. Buck County, PA....Westchester County, NY.

I think the general feeling is that the surrounding counties are all still somewhat "burnnecky" though this is certainly changing.  Western Union county and Southern Iredell along the lake are the most upscale.  Cabarrus is seeing lots of growth, but most of it is all entry level housing.  York County is similar, though somewhat higher end.  Gaston is seeing almost no growth, but will soon though the towns and county are somewhat resistant to it.  Lincoln and Lancaster have seen little yet, though even in the last 2 years large project have been announced there.  That was a rambling response.

In general, I would say that Union is seeing the most upscale additions, though none of it is sustainable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, I think Gaston County is about to take off. I'm afraid that the suburbanites that are crying so hard to break up CMS schools will target us next for inhabitation. The city of Gastonia actually has 4,000 housing units planned coming up so Gastonia is actually going to be the first to have noticable growth. I think it's just a matter of time that the sprawl from both gastonia and charlotte will swallow up mount holly and belmont whole.

Unfortunately, I think Gaston County is about to take off. I'm afraid that the suburbanites that are crying so hard to break up CMS schools will target us next for inhabitation. The city of Gastonia actually has 4,000 housing units planned coming up so Gastonia is actually going to be the first to have noticable growth. I think it's just a matter of time that the sprawl from both gastonia and charlotte will swallow up mount holly and belmont whole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they are smart about their growth... I Love going into mt holly's little downtown and getting that warm small town feeling...

but over time... I think most if not all small towns around charlotte are going to be one large suburb... i.e. Atlanta :-/

I am glad to see that some of the northern cities are taking steps to control growth and development but its not enough... everyone has to be on the same page and I just don't see that happening

I think Union will implode.  No new roads funded, too many new single-family homes, no access to rail, no tax base (residential doesn't pay for all the services it uses).  Too bad.  It used to be a beautiful area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I worry about York County - too often, it is easy for me to not understand the pain of locals that complain about coming development. But there are areas of York County that I would be very upset to see filled with shopping centers & subdivisions since it is my home, and where my mother's mother's side of the family is from.

What is the future for the pocket around Waxhaws, between Monroe & the Lancaster County neck? There aren't major roads - 521 to the west & 74 to the northeast - I've wondered how long it will take for that area to fill in. I can imagine obviously development will swarm along 74 into Monroe as it is. But even though I'm not familiar with that area, I am aware that the Waxhaws is a very significant cultural area, certainly much of it is worth preserving.

Waxhaw has NC16, which wasn't much of a road when you grew up, but now it's the lifeline for all of south-southeast Charlotte......and here comes the people. Waxhaw does have a charming little downtown, but strip centers and "town-centers" are going to see to it that no one ever visits........it is in a slighly better position though since home prices tend to be somewhat higher. They can almost pay for themselves.

about the shopping centers thing... I can see Monroe Mall in the near future probably closing for a new major mall that might be built on the bypass somewhere... and then some "town center/outdoor village" type thing and definately a power center or 2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I think you are right. At least I hope so. does anyone else agree.

Waxhaw is soon to get the "Cureton" development. To my knowledge it is supposed to be like Birkdale Villige but more upscale. This is a little info from Waxhaw's website:

The developer of Cureton has reported that the commercial portion of Cureton is on grade already and that the pad for Harris Teeter was ready to build. He also says that the lots for phase III of the residential part of Cureton start at $250,000 and that all had been pre-sold. This equates to home prices around $1.25 million.

Waxhaw is soon to get the "Cureton" development.  To my knowledge it is supposed to be like Birkdale Villige but more upscale.  This is a little info from Waxhaw's website:

The developer of Cureton has reported that the commercial portion of Cureton is on grade already and that the pad for Harris Teeter was ready to build.  He also says that the lots for phase III of the residential part of Cureton start at $250,000 and that all had been pre-sold.  This equates to home prices around $1.25 million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so would the village shops be more upscale than Birkdale's then?

I believe it was meant to be to a certain extent. It's all in the demographics. Last time I heard Weddington was NC's top city for average household income. The money doesn't stop at the town's limits. I think the thinking is that people from Providence CC all the way throughout Western UC, Wealthier Monroe residents and even parts of Lancaster County would rather shop here than travel all the way to SouthPark or Carolina Place. I don't think we can expect too much here above and beyond Birkdale. Cureton will likely land the usual suspects, a Gap, Banana Republic, maybe an Abercrombie etc. etc. and blah blah blah. I doubt Versace would be interested. ;)

Yeah, and I love the fact that all of this will be built in Waxhaw and not Weddington. I love that NC 16 won't be widened for five years. That all of that traffic will come through Weddington and clog up the intersection with NC 84, especially since their zoning says NO to any commercial development. I love that all those SUVs will be sitting and waiting in bumper to bumper traffic as gasoline approaches $3.00 a gallon. That those million dollar McMansions in Weddington will loose their appeal as schools can't keep up with growth or the need for funding.

do you think that people living in million dollar houses send their kids to public schools? IMO gas won't reach $3.00.

I do agree that 16 will be clogged, even more so then it is now. Thats sorta sad, Waxhaw will indeed fall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, most of those houses don't cost that much. They're around $400K. But those folks all moved to Weddington and Wesley Chapel for "low taxes, good schools and a 1/3 acre lots".

Yes, gas will hit $3.00. Remember, we have to pay that huge tax to the Saudi government. California gas prices are currently around $2.90 per gallon. I paid $2.39 yesterday at Costco in Charlotte. Current average for gas in the US is $2.26. A year ago it was $1.80. Adjusted for inflation, gas will reach its all time high (in the USA) at $2.99 per gallon.

From what i heard, NCDOT wants to relocate parts of US 74 as a freeway from I-485 to the Rockingham-Hamlet Bypass. This will certainly encourage new sprawl in Union and Anson County which hopefully both counties will have smart growth intiatives. I-40 SE of Raleigh, random development is taking place in Johnston County (especially Clayton). Johnston County reminds me a lot of Union County in the regard of attracting lower end housing.

Yeah, and I love the fact that all of this will be built in Waxhaw and not Weddington.  I love that NC 16 won't be widened for five years.  That all of that traffic will come through Weddington and clog up the intersection with NC 84, especially since their zoning says NO to any commercial development.  I love that all those SUVs will be sitting and waiting in bumper to bumper traffic as gasoline approaches $3.00 a gallon.  That those million dollar McMansions in Weddington will loose their appeal as schools can't keep up with growth or the need for funding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup Providence Road will be clogged as hell. There's no interstate going down to Waxhaw or no corridor like Hwy 74...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/11416045.htm

there's an observer article about the horses of Union County and how the "pastoral paradise" is fading away

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/11416031.htm

and here's an observer article about Rural Vs. Suburbs where developments are popping up in such rural areas.

Archived