What will Union County look like....

atownrocks

Cabarrus is seeing some very high end homes built in the Northwest part of the county. No suprise this part of the county is closest to Lake Norman. The land in NW Cabarrus is beautiful with rolling hills climbing quickly in that area. It makes for some very nice views. Alot of the developments are very very upscale. I doubt Cabarrus will reach Unions "prestiege" such as it is. But then again its hard to view any part of metro Charlotte as prestigious. I would think SouthPark is where its at. I live in Bucks Co. PA btw.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But then again its hard to view any part of metro Charlotte as prestigious. I would think SouthPark is where its at. I live in Bucks Co. PA btw.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right....the people who live in SouthPark don't even live in trailers <_<

• 9 months later...

Waxhaw is soon to get the "Cureton" development. To my knowledge it is supposed to be like Birkdale Villige but more upscale. This is a little info from Waxhaw's website:

The developer of Cureton has reported that the commercial portion of Cureton is on grade already and that the pad for Harris Teeter was ready to build. He also says that the lots for phase III of the residential part of Cureton start at $250,000 and that all had been pre-sold. This equates to home prices around $1.25 million.

An Update on Cureton http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/13705037.htm

Union County is about to get less "junky." Apparently it has been passed in country government to fine anyone who has "junk" outside their home or business. This includes things like "trashiness" around the property and things such as junk cars.

I found out about this through my parents so I cannot verify the claim.

I have to say I'm not thrilled about Cureton. This development will kill off the last active and working downtown in Union County IMO.

i tend to agree. i get the sickest feeling driving to my parents house in waxhaw. providence rd. used to be a fairly scenic drive - now littered with mcmansions and even worse, cookie cutters. my biggest concern is the lack of infrastructure to handle this... i mean in cureton alone, 750 houses.

i consider myself an urbanist, pro-growth and density, and at heart pro-development. i just don't see how (waxhaw, union county and the country) can continue building in such a careless, ignorant way. the once beautiful wooded rolling hills reduced to flatened, treeless crap... in my case it isn't NIMBYism, it's NYFSIMBYism... you can guess what the YourFS is.

i think some of shook design projects end up being nice, and from the renderings i've seen they did a good job @ mimicing waxhaw's old buildings (not that thats a good plan) - but all the same. the problem is as stated by many including appatone, that this project will probably be a dagger through the heart of old waxhaw.... one thing that will be pretty freakin hard to fake, though, is the train thats disects the downtown and the old bridge that crosses over. as long that those things remain, old waxhaw will always be unique and desired.

i tend to agree. i get the sickest feeling driving to my parents house in waxhaw. providence rd. used to be a fairly scenic drive - now littered with mcmansions and even worse, cookie cutters. my biggest concern is the lack of infrastructure to handle this... i mean in cureton alone, 750 houses.

I agree, Waxhaw/Weddington are losing their charm to sprawl and mcmansions. One day it will all backfire, I think. Look at Providence Road, it's one lane! It cannot handle this growth.

Monroe will be the new ghetto, Weddington/Waxhaw will be the new upscale areas. there will definately be a town center/mall or few. Places like Wingate and New Salem may still be rural though.. though Wingate might experience some growth due to the college there

is Monroe not a very good area? The demographics make it seem very poor. Am I right to assume it is not a place one would like to live?

Monroe isn't really bad but it isn't somewhere I would chose to live. I'm from Union Co. and I see Monroe almost everyday. Shopping and dining options are slim but growing, the mall is expected to renovate and expand and the new power center with Best Buy and Target is bringing in new retail and dining as well. Downtown Monroe is on the verge of a rebirth. There doesn't seem to be any new money moving into it, but there is still a considerable amount of wealthy families that live around Monroe in the more rural areas and in places in the city like downtown and in Rolling Hills. Most of Union Co.'s new money tends to concentrate in the western part of the county. Union Co.'s school system is pretty good but the difference between schools like Weddington, Parkwood, and Piedmont vs. Monroe and Forest Hills is quite extreme I believe but I also think Monroe High stacks up pretty well against other schools in the Charlotte area, I

• 2 weeks later...

Archived