Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

South%20View-large.jpg

Munkenbeck & Marshall, Design Plus

The latest rendering of the new Art Museum. A little "blockey" for my taste, but it is an Art Museum. I believe this will be the view looking Northeast from around TGIF's. I am curious to know of what material the gray areas are made? Anyone from Design Plus lurking around :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South%20View-large.jpg     

Munkenbeck & Marshall, Design Plus

The latest rendering of the new Art Museum.  A little "blockey" for my taste, but it is an Art Museum.  I believe this will be the view looking Northeast from around TGIF's.  I am curious to know of what material the gray areas are made?  Anyone from Design Plus lurking around :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that the site is would be optimized by a higher rise building. A low rise building like that in the heart of downtown (is it the site downtown under construction?) is a waste of prime real estate. That structure should be on the outskirts of downtown....not in the center

Too late. See previous photos, like this one by grcentro. Ground is broken and they are working on what looks like demolition of the old footings that used to be there. It had been a parking lot and a few small buildings on Monroe Mall for a long time, and I believe was a department store quite a while ago. The building on the other corner of Monroe Mall and Ottawa where Hoekstra's Shoes (sp?) is a great one. I loved it when they had it wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper just before unveiling the renovation a few years ago. If anyone has photos of that building, please post.

55.jpg

I think that the site is would be optimized by a higher rise building. A low rise building like that in the heart of downtown (is it the site downtown under construction?) is a waste of prime real estate. That structure should be on the outskirts of downtown....not in the center

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FRED!!

Please repeat BUT SCREAM IT AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS!!! That site was MEANT to be the centerpiece of downtown and the footprint of the tallest building between Chicago and Detroit (as well as being the hub of the skywalk system)!!

See, I truly am not a mindless GR cheerleader. You just have to hit on the right point of GR STUPIDITY for me to go off on the River City.

-Metrogrkid

Here's another rendering:

PARK%20ENTRANCE.jpg

No, this building most definitely does not belong on that site. The location is nearly unbeatable and should have been home to something much grander.

But to rub in some salt...it is UGLY. Sure, it's "art", but it also has no soul! Why am I looking at a modernized form of cold, inpersonal Brutalism? They worked so hard to beautifully restore Monroe Center...and now will have a few concrete blocks for new neighbors.

Modern architecture is not a bad thing, especially for an art museum...but just have it designed by an artist.

(I suppose Ghery was unavailable? ;) )

Ahh, ok. I thought it was a lawn they put in front of the museum, lol. Ann Arbor has one of those Maya Lin grass "sculptures" too. My design class last semester had to go all the way to Ann Arbor to sketch it.

Here is my class, as they stand and wonder why they all drove to Ann Arbor just to see this! Interesting? Yes. But not worth a 40 minute drive.

IMG_3487.jpg

I think the materials used is going to make or break this design. I know that it is mainly concrete, but there is also supposed to be wood used throughout. I probably won't know whether I like it or not until it is done.

The lights shooting out of the roof (the cubes in the rendering) should be cool at night. I wish they'd do a nice rendering. I never get a good feel for a building from Computerized rendering.

The latest rendering of the new Art Museum.  A little "blockey" for my taste, but it is an Art Museum.  I believe this will be the view looking Northeast from around TGIF's.  I am curious to know of what material the gray areas are made?  Anyone from Design Plus lurking around :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is another model from Munkenbeck & Marshall UK

mm_projects_grand_03.jpg

I guess I really hit a nerve with my posting about the art museum. I agree that this location was all wrong for the museum. Especially since it will be the first impression that many visitors get when they come out of the Convention Center/Amway Grand/Alticor Marriot and venture out into the downtown area. I don't think they should have used a design that will be one of those "love it or hate it" kind in such a prime location. Tall, sleek, classic, approachable would be words I would have liked to use for a development there.

Do not let the same thing happen at Division and Fulton. PLEASE!!!

my sense is that this building is going to look dated in 10 years. I see a strong emphasis on internal spaces (emphasized by the skylights above the gallery space) and a very old-fashioned prolonged entranceway. another example of a structure like this is the cranbrook museum of science in bloomfield hills. in that design, created in the 1930s (I believe)by eliel or eero saarinen, a staircase leads to a raised entrance separated from the parklike surroundings of the museum. because the museum's audience is "captive," which is to say they are there specificially to enter the museum, the entrance is usually an active place. my question - and I raise it because I have seen other museums (and libraries...) much more integrated into the streetscape through direct street-level access - is how much this building is going to bring people out into the street, not just out of buses and cars and into the building. no doubt it will have its own self-contained cafe and gift shop, probably a bus pickup-dropoff spot...why not bring it into the street? I am not a skywalk enthusiast. we live in a temperate zone. but monroe and the streets below it are wonderful, and that's a place people will come from to visit the art museum. why not honor their trip with a true destination. there are no linkages here, just a people-sucking gallery with soaring exhibition spaces. rem koolhaas would be proud. since it's ugly it's going to take the rest of the neighborhood covering for it to make sure it won't be a dead zone after the novelty wears off.

after the van andel museum, the GVSU campus, and the library, why this? for shame.

here's cranbrook:

http://www.buildingphotos.com/00photos/BL-cransci.jpg

I ask, where do the people fit? I see the skylights, I know the art's inside, but how do people belong here?

at least rosa parks circle is beautiful.

Josh, Yes and Yes as far as I know. I think the museum has a courtyard but other than that it is all building. I believe both the cafe and giftshop will have outdoor entrances along monroe center. They will also provide the warming house and skate rental in the winter for the ice rink.

Joe

Does anyone know if the actual building will cover the entire site that they dug out? Also, will the restaurant have access from the street?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REMEMBER PEOPLE: This whole debacle of a building occurred simply because no one or no group came forward with a more cohesive, synergistic and appropriately world-class 24-hour mixed-use development. Let this maddening waste of the most prime piece of downtown real estate galvanize us as the collective UrbanPlanet-GR group to fully participate in the ongoing proposal-producing function of the MBEI Metro Center Steering Committee and its upcoming transition into a new MBEI-associated Committee for the Design of a World-Class Downtown Grand Rapids (after the Metro Center plan has been completed on April 23, 2005 - see METROPOLITAN CENTER thread later during week of April 18 for a project update).

-Metrogrkid

I like it. I also like the site. This is the type of design that a sketch or a model does not do justice to. It will have large open spaces and it will be bright, ideal for a museum.

Also, what better place is there for what will probably be one of the cities larger draws. I am all for bringing people downtown for stuff like this - there is no point having it on the edge.

Give it time, this structure will probably become a singature piece for the area. It is a perfect location also for those looking for more entertainment downtown as it will be home to many events.

Supernova,

That is what I am hoping for. A signature piece of architecture. I like the concept, It remains to be seen how well it fits in the space and interacts with the street.

As I said before, I think the materials are going to be key. Will it be a masterpiece, or look like it belongs on GRCC's campus? We probably won't know until they cut the ribbon. ;)

Joe

Give it time, this structure will probably become a singature piece for the area.  It is a perfect location also for those looking for more entertainment downtown as it will be home to many events.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article in the Grand Rapids Press Yesterday:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...90861212690.xml

It says that they brought in another architectural firm to finish the project (Workshop Hakomori Yantrasast). They rearranged the interior and got rid of a lot of the wood elements, like large wood beams at the entrance. The unfortunate part is that the wood / modern mixture is what made me think it won't look like a GRCC building. We'll have to wait and see but I am less optimistic about the design.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent discussion on the Museum controversy. The chatroom members should volunteer for the building committee who sadly don't understand the issues at all.

M+M design in being built minus the urban and environmental advantages. Director wants a fortress to preserve art and doesn't want too much cityscape to intrude, so transparency has been eliminated, relationship with streetscape and park reduced, wood changed to concrete. Director has demanded that nothing in materials or details be "experimental" so cliched museum solution has replaced forward looking "Green" structure. GRAM website tries valiantly to make a mess look like it is on purpose but entire team of 2004 has been replaced...Clent rep, CM, M+M and even the partner at Design+ who supported the original design. It is a sad travesty of the original intentions of the major donor who is a champion of treading lightly on the planet.

Munkenbeck,

How did this happen? It seems like the Director of the museum would have to answer to someone. Is the original architectural steering committee still in place? I know that Sam Cummings, several architects, etc. were all on the original committee that chose M+M. Do they approve of the changes? Is there mutiny at GRAM?

I have to say, this building spooks me. I hope we don't end up with a big concrete block in the center of the city.

Joe

Excellent discussion on the Museum controversy.  The chatroom members should volunteer for the building committee who sadly don't understand the issues at all.

M+M design in being built minus the urban and environmental advantages.  Director wants a fortress to preserve art and doesn't want too much cityscape to intrude, so transparency has been eliminated, relationship with streetscape and park reduced, wood changed to concrete.  Director has demanded that nothing in materials or details be "experimental" so cliched museum solution has replaced forward looking "Green" structure.  GRAM website tries valiantly to make a mess  look like it is on purpose but entire team of 2004 has been replaced...Clent rep, CM, M+M and even the partner at Design+ who supported the original design.  It is a sad travesty of the original intentions of the major donor who is a champion of treading lightly on the planet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent discussion on the Museum controversy.  The chatroom members should volunteer for the building committee who sadly don't understand the issues at all.

M+M design in being built minus the urban and environmental advantages.  Director wants a fortress to preserve art and doesn't want too much cityscape to intrude, so transparency has been eliminated, relationship with streetscape and park reduced, wood changed to concrete.  Director has demanded that nothing in materials or details be "experimental" so cliched museum solution has replaced forward looking "Green" structure.  GRAM website tries valiantly to make a mess  look like it is on purpose but entire team of 2004 has been replaced...Clent rep, CM, M+M and even the partner at Design+ who supported the original design.  It is a sad travesty of the original intentions of the major donor who is a champion of treading lightly on the planet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I can't speak for the whole group, but it is an honor to have you join our discussion. Your bio on your website is quite impressive. My neighbors across the street moved here from the Greater London Area, and I love to chat with them about the differences in housing between here and there. They could not believe the average size "garden" here is 10,000+ square feet, and the average home is 2000+ square feet now.

All of these changes at the GRAM are quite shocking! I think it was only mentioned briefly by the local media. Is the GRAM publically funded at all? Whether it is or not, they should understand they are "stewards" of that location at such a pivotal spot downtown. Someone with any media contacts should have this investigated further. I now have a sinking feeling in my stomach :sick:

I think this partially stems from the elitist attitude of the arts community. I hope they don't mess it up and build an albatross smack dab in the middle of OUR city.

I think people need to question the design of this building, its pedestrian accessability (which is a major push for the city of GR. If Joe Moch can't build a big faceless wall at the street level of his development, why should we hold the Art Museum to any less of a standard). Plus, doesn't the city have a serious stake in this? Didn't they donate the land to the Art Museum?

We need some answers. I have seen modern, concrete building done very well, but it is a very fine line between perfection of design and "looks like a jail".

Joe

Wow!  I can't speak for the whole group, but it is an honor to have you join our discussion.  Your bio on your website is quite impressive.  My neighbors across the street moved here from the Greater London Area, and I love to chat with them about the differences in housing between here and there.  They could not believe the average size "garden" here is 10,000+ square feet, and the average home is 2000+ square feet now.

All of these changes at the GRAM are quite shocking!  I think it was only mentioned briefly by the local media.  Is the GRAM publically funded at all?  Whether it is or not, they should understand they are "stewards" of that location at such a pivotal spot downtown.  Someone with any media contacts should have this investigated further.  I now have a sinking feeling in my stomach :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived