Georgia Off-Topic

Spartan

This is a thread where we can discuss anything concerning Georgia or its cities that would not warrant a thread of its own, or something that would not otherwise be posted on this site. Please feel free to contribute as much as you like. My only request is that you don't post entire articles in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this thread for random things related to ATL or GA?

If so, I found something in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that I'd like to bring up. It's not an article, just an interesting bit of info I found.

Edited by ironchapman

Two things:

1. To prove the strength of our sewer system and infrastructure, a water main broke on Peachtree Street for the fourth time yesterday.

Score one for our infrastruction and sewer system.

2. Isn't it odd that, although Atlanta isn't thought of as a tourist destination like, say Miami is, yet its signature tower is a hotel. Most sites I have been to think that the Westin Peachtree is ATL's signature tower.

Edited by ironchapman

Generally speaking it is the signature tower. It was the most prominent tower for years before BofA or whatever you consider to be the signature tower. It is certainly one of the most unique in the US- the only thing similar that I know if is in Detroit.

That is an interesting point you make though.

Another oddity about the Westin: it is nowhere near the tallest, but is is still considered to be ATL's signature tower. Most cities' signature buildings are the tallest in the city. (Ex: Sear Tower, Chic; BofA HQ, Charlotte; Empire State Building, NYC...etc.)

Some places don't have a signature skycraper, but still do have some sort of tall structure as their signature. (Ex: CN Tower, Toronto; Space Needle, Seattle; Eiffel Tower, Paris...etc.)

According to the AJC's Metro section, Mayor Franklin accepted the John F. Kennedy Award for Leadership.

Also, on Atlanta's website (see the hyperlink in my signature), Atlanta was named a top mid-sized arts destination.

Extra Note: Gov. Perdue is working on signing a bill to help promote Georgia as more of a Hollywood film destination.

That arts desination list was done by American Style Magazine. I understand their criteria for putting Atlanta in the mid-size city catagory, but I think they lost credibility in doing so. I don't think its fair to compare some of their mid-size like Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, & Tampa with other ones like Savannah, Ann Arbor, Alexandria, Colorado Springs, & Salem, OR. Their full rankings of large, mid-size, & small cities can be found here.

You what Georgia's forum needs?

I have seen this on several other forums, and it has been successful.

It needs some sort of "Picture of the Day" thread.

The only reason I haven't yet created one is because I don't know if too many people would frequent it.

Detroit's has been very successful in it's forum.

Schools are out in some counties around the Metro today.

Specifically my county (Douglas) and and Cobb County Schools.

Interesting Bit: I go to Chapel Hill High School, which is out today. I always find it funny when people I meet on vactions, etc. think I go to a Chapel Hill (NC) high school.

In other news:

UGA pulled out from its postion as researchers in the Cobb County Schools' laptop experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that arts ranking thing too, and I was shocked to see Atlanta in the "mid sized" city category, but they were probably just thinking about the actual city, not metro. Still, it's bigger than most others. And is the Kroger closing already? Didn't that just open relatively recently? Pity, I thought that was a great sign.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

umm.... you mean to tell me sparklers were banned in GA!! What did you all do for the holidays before they lifted the ban? And I thought FL had it bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We smuggled them in from Alabama, Tennessee, or whatever other state was closest to you.

The law wasn't exactly the most strictly enforced, though. Often on several holidays, you would see fireworks from someone's yard.

^ That's why you see tons of fireworks stores in the border counties in SC, TN, AL.  North Augusta, SC and Hardeeville, SC (I-20 and I-95) have huge fireworks businesses because of Georgia's restrictive laws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same goes for 85 and all connections in NC, because they have similar restrictions :)

I heard that they couldnt keep sparklers on the shelf in GA since they became legal.

I have never understood the point of making fireworks illegal. You only get hurt from them if you are stupid, in which case any injuries are your own fault to begin with.

Same goes for 85 and all connections in NC, because they have similar restrictions :)

I heard that they couldnt keep sparklers on the shelf in GA since they became legal.

I have never understood the point of making fireworks illegal. You only get hurt from them if you are stupid, in which case any injuries are your own fault to begin with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you heard was true.

I think it was more of a 4th of July rush that really started it.

Since then, the rush has slowed some. You can now find them at a variety of places (Wal-mart, Sam's, and Target to name a few).

• 1 month later...

For those of you who don't know, RC Cola just celebrated its 100th birthday. It was first made in Columbus in 1905 by Claud Hatcher in the basement of his family's grocery store.

Any thoughts?

It's amazing how long this little guy has survived despite the competition.