2 Acela trains laid up under Providence Place

pdxstreetcar

Seeing grafitti while on the train is one thing and your point is well made. Living around it however and having to pay repeatedly to remove it from your own private property is not just annoying, it is criminal distruction of property. I realize I take this issue more seriously than most but we've all got a few things that make our blood boil- this just happens to be mine.

Also FYI, our President is much more of a new englander than he wants you to know. He was born in New Haven CT, went to boarding school in Mass, college in CT, grad school in MA, and spent every summer in Maine. Where he picked up his Texas accent and swagger is beyond me - My father actually went to high school and college with him and apparently he had no accent back then. It would be nice to see him fund Amtrak better though :whistling:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also FYI, our President is much more of a new englander than he wants you to know. He was born in New Haven CT, went to boarding school in Mass, college in CT, grad school in MA, and spent every summer in Maine. Where he picked up his Texas accent and swagger is beyond me - My father actually went to high school and college with him and apparently he had no accent back then.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've often wondered about that myself! And I wonder if he picked up his drinking habits while attending Yale. Even though he dosen't now drink, he's an alcoholic and Laura Bush once threatened to leave him years ago if he didn't stop drinking Jim Beam.

Seeing grafitti while on the train is one thing and your point is well made. Living around it however and having to pay repeatedly to remove it from your own private property is not just annoying, it is criminal distruction of property. I realize I take this issue more seriously than most but we've all got a few things that make our blood boil- this just happens to be mine.

Also FYI, our President is much more of a new englander than he wants you to know. He was born in New Haven CT, went to boarding school in Mass, college in CT, grad school in MA, and spent every summer in Maine. Where he picked up his Texas accent and swagger is beyond me - My father actually went to high school and college with him and apparently he had no accent back then. It would be nice to see him fund Amtrak better though  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I stand corrected about his New England expirience. Maybe his father bought him plane tickets everytime he travelled? Haha.

And yes, I've talked to several people like yourself who hate graffiti with a passion. I'd probably feel the same way if I had to clean it off of my property (of course if it was my property, if you can believe it, I'd leave it!). I'd assume if you had you're way, the city would be completly devoid of graffiti, but to me that would be depressing (as I said earlier). Anyhow, this isn't a discussion about graffiti, so let get back on (AM)trak.

Theres one thing having graffiti on the back side of a blank wall but its another thing when its on the side of a $3 million high end rail car (and is supposed to be the future of rail travel in America). When I went over to check out the laid up Acela's in North Providence I was closely watched by Amtrak security and I was just walking along the street.

When the Acelas were first laid up I did see some graffiti on the side of one of the cars while I was traveling up to Boston on the train. This Acela graffiti really pisses me off too.

I'm not a graffiti fan but I can acknowledge that some graffiti is technically good. I haven't seen any in Providence that I could describe as good. It's ugly and amateurish. The city could do a MUCH better job removing it.

Theres one thing having graffiti on the back side of a blank wall but its another thing when its on the side of a $3 million high end rail car (and is supposed to be the future of rail travel in America).  When I went over to check out the laid up Acela's in North Providence I was closely watched by Amtrak security and I was just walking along the street.

When the Acelas were first laid up I did see some graffiti on the side of one of the cars while I was traveling up to Boston on the train.  This Acela graffiti really pisses me off too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not a graffiti fan but I can acknowledge that some graffiti is technically good. I haven't seen any in Providence that I could describe as good. It's ugly and amateurish. The city could do a MUCH better job removing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interestingly, merchants I have talked to feel the city is fairly responsive. They will apparently remove graffiti from brick, walls, and non-painted surfaces fairly quickly, but it's the graffiti on the painted surfaces that drives them nuts. I know one building owner in Wayland Sq has essentially given up on removal (stupid move, in my opinion) because he's sick of painting.

- Garris

Good to hear that the city is on the ball. Maybe it's that some of the property owners don't make the effort. Some of the most egregious examples are on the Narragansett Electric substation on the River Walk around Dyer St. and on the Point St bridge. It's clearly a case of a few repeat offenders whose tags represent quantity over quality.

Interestingly, merchants I have talked to feel the city is fairly responsive.  They will apparently remove graffiti from brick, walls, and non-painted surfaces fairly quickly, but it's the graffiti on the painted surfaces that drives them nuts.  I know one building owner in Wayland Sq has essentially given up on removal (stupid move, in my opinion) because he's sick of painting. 

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's your opinion on the artwork under Rt 195 on Wickenden/Point St?

Maybe it's that some of the property owners don't make the effort.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This may be the case. Apparently, if you call the city about it on a brick or concete non-painted surface, they'll be there to remove it the next day...

- Garris

What's your opinion on the artwork under Rt 195 on Wickenden/Point St?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually like that as well as the artwork under the 6-10 connector when you drive into Olneyville. Murals I have no problem with.

This may be the case.  Apparently, if you call the city about it on a brick or concete non-painted surface, they'll be there to remove it the next day...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Graffiti on brick and unpainted concrete is easy to clean because the chemicals in cleaning products are designed to loosen paint. This becomes a problem when graffiti is done on painted walls because cleaning chemicals cannot distinguish between graffiti paint and wall paint, effectively removing each or in bad cases smearing them all together. That is why painted walls cannot be "buffed", only painted over.

• 2 months later...

Archived