Need for Metro GR Real 24-Hour FM R & B Radio

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your talking about Power 96.5 WQHH. They are a full time rap/hip-hop/R&B station, although I think they play jazz on Sundays. I rarely listen to radio, but when I do thats the station I listen to.

Yah, thats it hood. I demand that station whenever I'm past Ionia on 96 heading to Charlotte and Lansing. I think if we got a gush of wind comming from the East I'd be able to get a signal.

i love the way wsnx can go from some commerical hip-pop (black eyed peas) tune to a rock tune (linkin park) to a cheesey girl song (that american idol girl)....blech. Now it seems they import all their tunes complete with the pre-done studio mixes/fades from song to song.

My wish for GR radio would be something formatted like:

BBC 1xtra: The Home of New Black Music (in the UK) I highly recommend you check out Deviations with Benji B, Robbo Ranx Dancehall Splurt and Semtex's Sat Night Mixtape...

a radio station where the station literally changes with the DJ based on the style of music they play.

Grand Rapids could support a hip hop/R&B station easily. It always hurt me to hear a hip hop station on AM radio because the sound quality is just too poor. Look at Muskegon. They have 103.7 FM (The Beat) and its BUMPIN'. Hip Hop and R&B all week long and on Saturday mornings there is excellent Blues music for a few hours. Its locally owned and it has TONS of listeners. Soooooo much better than listening to Clear Channel. Not only are they playing the music people want to hear, they do a ton of neighborhood improvement with job fairs, community based projects, etc. Grand Rapids could do the same type of thing.

I haven't listend to FM radio (other then NPR) in a long time.

actually I haven't listened to music at all since I stopped really listening to FM radio. And i'm not a man of prosperity either, so I dont have XM, or piles of CDs, and I dont have massive stockpiles of illegal MP3s either, so I dunno.

So no radio in the car :) Maybe the quality is dead, but not the listenership. If it was dead amoung the youth then advertisers would have one hell of a time getting thoes companies to picth some money their way.

thats about the only place I catch NPR anyway :P

• 1 year later...

Finally got XM Satellite Radio. Can't believe I waited as long as I did (actually my wife bought it for me). You can get a car receiver for free, and then for about $11/month, you totally feel like you're in a big city (and not inundated with the pathetic lineup of radio offerings and unfunny DJ's around here), and 0 commercials*.

"Fred" on XM (channel 44) is pretty sweet, with classic alternative all day (Thomas Dolby, Peter Murphy, Smiths, Bauhaus, Talk Talk, you get the picture).

Full XM Lineup

*I am not a paid agent of XM :lol:

Finally got XM Satellite Radio. Can't believe I waited as long as I did (actually my wife bought it for me). You can get a car receiver for free, and then for about $11/month, you totally feel like you're in a big city (and not inundated with the pathetic lineup of radio offerings and unfunny DJ's around here), and 0 commercials*.

"Fred" on XM (channel 44) is pretty sweet, with classic alternative all day (Thomas Dolby, Peter Murphy, Smiths, Bauhaus, Talk Talk, you get the picture).

Full XM Lineup

*I am not a paid agent of XM :lol:

Low Power FM might be part of the way to bring more variety/diversity to the airwaves. There was a bipartisan bill introduced yesterday called the Local Community Radio Act. See: www.freepress.net/lpfm

Reading through the parameters, these stations would have a primary mission of delivering information, so I'm assuming it couldn't be all music, but it's a chink in the armor. I'm assuming (again) that these limits are to protect big business' interests.

Archived