Monroe Center progress

joeDowntown

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it is "owned" by John Wheeler's (Rockford Construction) kids so it has some money behind it. The funny thing is the article starts out talking to the kids but ends talking to the folks at Rockford Construction:

"One of the big questions you get from people looking to buy residential units downtown is, 'Where do I buy my groceries?' So we're supplying an answer to that," said Hassberger, who plans to move into a condo above the market later this year.

Kind of sounds a bit like Rockford is running the showing and giving their kids some education in business 101. Either way, good for them and good for downtown!

Joe

Okay, I'm going to take the plunge. I'm all for the great things (e.g. grocery store) going in on Monroe Center Mall. But there is another side.

Here is the letter I sent to City officials this past Monday:

To Whom It May Concern:

Please consider this letter notice of possible legal action for a nuisance injunction based upon the following.

I live at 60 Monroe Center NW

Joe:

The City Building Inspector is keeping an eye on them. I think they're doing it right. But the City people are telling me that there is probably nothing they can do about this because all the code requires is that the kitchen is vented. Period.

And then the Building Inspector tried to tell me that odors are subjective, blah blah. But anyone who has ever been downtown a block away from Yen Ching knows how powerful Chinese cooking is! And that is why Rockford Construction got rid of them.

I am not trying to keep the kids from going into business (I really miss Yen Ching and I know I'll be eating at this new place quite often because I am stuck on Chinese food!), but I am not high enough to be spared the odors. I am on the 7th Floor and the air current comes up right my way. And I have only one working window.

All I want is for them to somehow filter the air coming out of the kitchen.

And I hate to be a real hard*ss about it, but it really will ruin my furniture, etc. and bring the value of my condo down.

Budgie

P.S. Interestingly, the Historic Preservation Commission (to which I addressed the letter in addition to the Building Inspector) wants nothing to do with this issue. They immediately faxed back a letter asking me to remove them from my mailing list because they don't have "jurisdiction" over the People's Building as it is not locally designated as a historic landmark. They didn't bother to tell me that it is nationally designated, however, and has been since 1990.

What is up with these people?

Hey, guys...

I LOVE Chinese food. If you're thinking that I'm being discriminatory, you are way off base. And, frankly, I resent the implication. One thing I am not is a NIMBY. I lived next door to Jellema House AND kitty-corner from an adult foster care home for over 15 years.

What I want is really very simple: just filter the vented food odors. If you took a look at the alley behind their place and the proximity to my condo, you would totally understand my predicament. You must understand that when I bought this place, Yen Ching was open across the mall. I ate there quite often. It was my favorite restaurant.

By the way, I think the people building the place are doing a wonderful job... MUCH nicer than Rockford's work on the grocery store across the street. It's just a fact of life that Chinese food smells strong when they cook (soy, sesame oil, etc.). It is what it is. And if you think that's discriminatory, you are being ridiculous.

Indeed, the proof is in the pudding. Hopefully there will not be a problem. However, I must lay the foundation now in case there IS a problem. Otherwise the court will ask me, "Well, if you knew there would be a problem, why didn't you come to us BEFORE the restaurant was complete and in operation? When it would have been easier and less expensive to come up with a solution?"

So, real advanced in 616, I appreciate your opinion and I don't want to argue with you, either, but you have me totally wrong. So, too, GRDadof3.

Believe me, I have already taken a lot of bad by choosing to live downtown, and I'm not beotching about that because the good outweighs it. But I AM beotching about how underhanded Rockford Construction was in the way they handled this one.

Budgie

The building I work in had a Fish Fry move in next door. We have since moved our A/C intake, adjusted their exhaust, and added an electronic air filter for our furnace. I still don't know how long we will last before the smell gets the better of us. This is not in GR, but everything is up to code and it's just annoying.

• 5 weeks later...

I had to work in Rockford today, and the GR Planning Commission could take a page or two out of Rockford's (20 minutes North) playbook. There is a sidewalk sale going on now through Saturday, and the place was hoppin. I would guess the retail is at 100% occupancy, and all locally owned stores. They have also recently added piped in music throughout the downtown that really makes for a festive atmosphere.

759964D0FA1311D9AF9D140418F73B1D.jpg

73A69580FA1311D995FBC38B18F73B1D.jpg

77DA7B30FA1311D9A7B00B9818F73B1D.jpg

79CF6D60FA1311D986A7303418F73B1D.jpg

7BBF2F70FA1311D9837C757018F73B1D.jpg

7E288E50FA1311D994CE1CA918F73B1D.jpg

801E6AE0FA1311D9B813B3E018F73B1D.jpg

82872D80FA1311D9A26F7F5D18F73B1D.jpg

84D8BEA0FA1311D990B855D618F73B1D.jpg

86CD62B0FA1311D9AB50A42918F73B1D.jpg

3AEF1FE0FA1411D9966B8DA818F73B1D.jpg

Ahhh, Rockford. Rainbow City USA :P:rolleyes:

I had to work in Rockford today, and the GR Planning Commission could take a page or two out of Rockford's (20 minutes North) playbook.  There is a sidewalk sale going on now through Saturday, and the place was hoppin.  I would guess the retail is at 100% occupancy, and all locally owned stores.  They have also recently added piped in music throughout the downtown that really makes for a festive atmosphere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You make a good point grdad. The piped-in music is pretty cool, especially lively downtown areas. Even though Detroit is practially dead, Greektown was jammin the last time I was there and they have music piped in too, not to mention the flaming cheese :)

Everyone loves the "locally owned stores" idea but it is hard in downtowns because the rent is usually high. I think the monroe mall is well on the way to that kind of activity. If the retail can generate patrons and people start living downtown, that place will be a great downtown in 10 years.

Another cool downtown is Denver's 16th Street Mall. Free electic street car, hybrid buses, tons of life, locally owned shops next to big chains, believe it or not. It all works though due to the diversity of people down there, different types of buildings, etc.

• 2 years later...

This is the best thread I could find for this post. Don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Charlie's Tailor recently expanded to a new place on 53 Monroe Center. I haven't been able to make it downtown for a couple weeks; how long has this store been there?

Rapid Growth Article

"His new store at 53 Monroe Center is just around the corner from his old shop. But Charlie says he's in a better location for the new service he's offering-Jadestone Custom Clothing, custom made suits for men and women."

This is the best thread I could find for this post. Don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Charlie's Tailor recently expanded to a new place on 53 Monroe Center. I haven't been able to make it downtown for a couple weeks; how long has this store been there?

Rapid Growth Article

"His new store at 53 Monroe Center is just around the corner from his old shop. But Charlie says he's in a better location for the new service he's offering-Jadestone Custom Clothing, custom made suits for men and women."

Archived