Next in Norfolk

Greekboy80

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah near the Scope is a lot of parking lots if I'm not mistaken, and the Downtown Plaza shopping center! That is our goldmine!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They definitely won't rush on putting something on those plots of land. Downtown land is becoming so rare and hard to come by that the city would rather put something there 20 years from now when a dream come true opportunity comes (i.e. MacArthur Center Mall and all the parking lots it was built on, etc...).

As I said before, in the next few years, look for downtown to be pushed across Brambleton in more than just name. That block of Granby where the big gun shop is has a lot of lot and derilect buildings that should be developed. There are a couple of mid-rises, in fact one that is just being remodeled on Monitcello.

The goldmine that Norfolk has is the fact that there are all those housing projects surrounding downtown. They need to be redeveloped into something else so that downtown will continue to grow.

Downtown could really use some more retail at street level to compliment the mall. They also need a new library because the one that they have there is a disgrace.

The goldmine that Norfolk has is the fact that there are all those housing projects surrounding downtown.  They need to be redeveloped into something else so that downtown will continue to grow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your right about that!

Its a good idea but, where is everyone going to go that lives there? they gonna build a housing project high rise?

Yeah Norfolk's library is pretty bland from what I remember....is it the one near MacArthur Memorial? If it is, then wow, it needs to be replaced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bland? roach-infested heap would be a more apt description. I guess it is hard to see how bland it is when you are overpowered by the stench of mold/body odor/employees' bad breath when you walk in the door. Of course the sleeping security guard at the front door is an added "bonus".

Well, returning to the original question. I think that after Harbor Heights, Trader, Hilton, Granby Tower, and Harbor's Edge, that a new office tower will be announced. I also think that Fort Norfolk will develop very nicely and hopefully get closer to completion in the coming years.

Let's hope there will be, my concern is that we do get that building and we fill it with a new company to the area with very high paying jobs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get your hopes up though. It's an opportunity but Norfolk themselves are low on cash to give loans, grants, and subsidies to entice such companies. We gotta save for a new library, a long-term savings for a new arena, several mil for a conference center, an insanely expensive courts tower, debt payments of MacArthur Center, renovation and refurbishment of Scope, plus the large number of homes the city said they will be buying over the next few years to be re-built. If a big-paying job is to come, the company will have to be the one to want to come on their own and pay for the majority of expenses. And with Va. Beach sugar-coating their Town Center, it is much easier said than done. What Downtown Norfolk has that TC does not have or at least has limited is the quality atmosphere for businesses which is one of the major reasons Trader decided to come to Norfolk. But it obviously takes more than just that.

rust the hq for Trader is on Granby and Plume in an old E shaped building. VaBeach was so upset because they were trying to steal the company and in the process get a new tower added to there skyline.

I am happy to hear about Fort Norfolk. I have always wanted to see that area becom so much more, it was such a prime location and should be one of Norfolk's top dollar neighborhood.

Alot of that neighborhood is going to be retirement high rises. I heard that they might build another 17 story building like the one they are working on now. Still my main issue is that we get less dependant on the military and grow like a true metro and have more white collar jobs. We have so many blue collar jobs, not that there is anything wrong with that. I just moved up from blue collar to a white collar job.

Archived