Next in Norfolk

Greekboy80

rust the hq for Trader is on Granby and Plume in an old E shaped building.  VaBeach was so upset because they were trying to steal the company and in the process get a new tower added to there skyline.

I am happy to hear about Fort Norfolk.  I have always wanted to see that area becom so much more, it was such a prime location and should be one of Norfolk's top dollar neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What people fail to mention is while it is true that Norfolk had Trader first, Trader also had an established presence in Va. Beach . They were not trying to steal jobs, they were simply trying to keep the jobs they had. As a taxpayer in Va. Beach, i for one would have been quite upset if they let jobs that existed in this city pick up and move to another city without putting up some sort of fight. For once they were performing their duties to this community, i will not fault them for that.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What people fail to mention is while it is true that Norfolk had Trader first, Trader also had an established presence in Va. Beach . They were not trying to steal jobs, they were simply trying to keep the jobs they had. As a taxpayer in Va. Beach, i for one would have been quite upset if they let jobs that existed in this city pick up and move to another city without putting up some sort of fight. For once they were performing their duties to this community, i will not fault them for that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually they were upset that Trader publishing didn't choose TC for their new HQ site. One of the city people made a comment about them not moving into the TC area. It was on www.hamptonroads.com. Vdogg where have you been, you haven't been posting very much anymore.

Actually they were upset that Trader publishing didn't choose TC for their new HQ site. One of the city people made a comment about them not moving into the TC area. It was on www.hamptonroads.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but that official was upset over them choosing DT Norfolk over TC due to the traffic situation. His point was that the traffic in that area was not that much worse than DT Norfolk. Having been stuck downtown during rushhour before, i think he does have somewhat of a case for that statement. Especially when both the midtown and downtown tunnels are blocked. That being said, i really don't believe that the city leaders climbed down into their secret cave to hatch some diabolical plan to steal jobs from Norfolk. They were trying to keep the jobs in the city, and as stated in an article in the Trader section, when it became clear that that would not occur they worked with others to at least keep the jobs in the region. The competition was not just with Norfolk, it was with several other cities across this country.

Yes, but that official was upset over them choosing DT Norfolk over TC due to the traffic situation. His point was that the traffic in that area was not that much worse than DT Norfolk. Having been stuck downtown during rushhour before, i think he does have somewhat of a case for that statement. Especially when both the midtown and downtown tunnels are blocked. That being said, i really don't believe that the city leaders climbed down into their secret cave to hatch some diabolical plan to steal jobs from Norfolk. They were trying to keep the jobs in the city, and as stated in an article in the Trader section, when it became clear that that would not occur they worked with others to at least keep the jobs in the region. The competition was not just with Norfolk, it was with several other cities across this country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless we all forget that no matter where Trader went, Town Center, Downtown Norfolk, or the moon, the same exact people would fill that building so it isn't really any city trying to take jobs from one another but going in the best interest of pursuing economic development.

Let us be more clear too in the Va. Beach officials wording. "Downtown Norfolk isn't any better traffic-wise. Look what happens when there's a bridge-lift or when the circus comes to town." Well let's see, true traffic is hell on both situations but out of 365 days of the year, I think the circus is only around at a max of 5 days of the entire year and the bridge lift isn't too much of a hinderance knowing that people can still exit off I-264 on waterside drive or brambleton ave. For all the other Trader employees that would work at the Va. Beach location coming from 464 or portsmouth would face greater hell when they get to the Pembroke/Town Center area simply due to any other way to get to that area is clogged. Both va. beach blvd and independence blvd aren't 5 or 6 six lanes each way for nothing and even with that many lanes its still sucks. I honestly don't have a DAILY problem driving through downtown streets and surrounding highways with heavy volume and traffic (except the midtown tunnel but I rarely need to use it anyway.)

lemme add that va beach also offered incentives to trader when they said they were concerned that norfolk offered incentives. hmm... why talk about a city doing something bad when you do it too? just a thought...

Unless we all forget that no matter where Trader went, Town Center, Downtown Norfolk, or the moon, the same exact people would fill that building so it isn't really any city trying to take jobs from one another but going in the best interest of pursuing economic development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats a good point. And the people who work for Trader aren't likely to pick up and leave their current city for the other since both cities are so close to eachother. Va.Beach may be losing the commercial taxes, but they will probably still keep the income generated from having Trader employees living in their city.

Thats a good point. And the people who work for Trader aren't likely to pick up and leave their current city for the other since both cities are so close to eachother. Va.Beach may be losing the commercial taxes, but they will probably still keep the income generated from having Trader employees living in their city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Va. Beach is close and convienent enough that it is not necessary for Norfolk to take its citizens. I doubt ANY city pursues a company to reduce population of another. And you're right, Va. Beach Trader employees are still going to spend a majority of their money in Va Beach. Additionally, Va. Beach may be losing in the neighborhood of $30-40 million in commercial taxes in the next 20 years but they are likely to be in already far better financial shape than Norfolk so it balances out then right?

Alot of that neighborhood is going to be retirement high rises. I heard that they might build another 17 story building like the one they are working on now. Still my main issue is that we get less dependant on the military and grow like a true metro and have more white collar jobs. We have so many blue collar jobs, not that there is anything wrong with that. I just moved up from blue collar to a white collar job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if Atlantic City area does turn into a retirement haven that would be good news for the hospital and medical professions. Especially having the people so close to the hospital in case something happened.

Does anyone know about that old warehouse that is near PETA that they were trying to convert to housing? I know they said something about the bulkhead needing repair. It was in the paper awhile back but I see nothing new happening there.

And one last thing: have any of you been down and seen the cool warehouses on the waterfront down there? Talk about a cool venue for retail...

Well if Atlantic City area does turn into a retirement haven that would be good news for the hospital and medical professions.  Especially having the people so close to the hospital in case something happened.

Does anyone know about that old warehouse that is near PETA that they were trying to convert to housing?  I know they said something about the bulkhead needing repair.  It was in the paper awhile back but I see nothing new happening there.

And one last thing: have any of you been down and seen the cool warehouses on the waterfront down there?  Talk about a cool venue for retail...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I've wondered about the converstion of that old warehouse also. But then again, they said the entire Atlantic City/Fort Norfolk revitalization would take 10-20 years depending on demand and the economy so don't expect Harbor's Edge to spark a Downtown-like building boom

It will take alot of this development a long time to set in. We have a tremendous amount of development in this area going from williamsburg to vabeach. I love the fact that this area is coming so alive after laying so dormant for so long. I think all of this will make it very attractive for people to want to come here and soon this will spark a major league team in this area. If you guys said 5 years ago vabeach would be building the town center or downtown would explode like it has i would have laughed in your face. Lets hope this development will in fact benefit us all as a region.

Fort Norfolk is only the actual historic fort that is there, which is a small part of that area in red. 

The area in red is known as "Atlantic City" in the city's development plans and was once a working class neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh ok....thanks for clearing that up. So I guess Atlantic City could turn out pretty nice once development starts full steam! :thumbsup: It won't add to the skyline much, but it sure has potential for an awesome waterfront city/area.

Fort Norfolk is only the actual historic fort that is there, which is a small part of that area in red. 

The area in red is known as "Atlantic City" in the city's development plans and was once a working class neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the new name for the area will be fort Norfolk.

Actually the new name for the area will be fort Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually like the name Atlantic City. It recalls the neighborhood that once existed there and is more interesting IMO. I like when cities apply "city" to neighborhood names. Philadelphia's University City, etc. It gives the impression that the area is lively and interesting. But I guess Fort Norfolk is somehow more marketable

I actually like the name Atlantic City.  It recalls the neighborhood that once existed there and is more interesting IMO.  I like when cities apply "city" to neighborhood names.  Philadelphia's University City, etc.  It gives the impression that the area is lively and interesting.  But I guess Fort Norfolk is somehow more marketable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree, i dont think fort norfolk has any form of marketablity in my opinion. Calling it Atlantic City of norfolk is much more flashy and moves away from the navy which is something norfolk needs to do to ever become a real competitive city. By that i dont mean get rid of it, i just mean not use it as its main attraction but develope something different.

It's hard to judge Fort Norfolk when it's been so "hush hush"... I don't think anyone anticipated Town Center becoming a major dining hub, nor the same with Port Warwick, so perhaps something in the retail mix that is unexpected will draw people to Fort Norfolk? It's just too far out to judge, but I do hope it makes some sort of impact on DT Norfolk.

Archived