Next in Norfolk

Greekboy80

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I typed Marathon Development Group into Mozilla and pressed enter and it says the site is under construction.... so maybe they didn't have one yet afterall...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's about damn time. It simply amazes me that a company that important didn't have a website until now.

Has any one heard on what's suppose to be going on with the DT Plaza, what type of development is supposed to go there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As of right now its parking for the cruise ships until as said by the mayor interested developers want the land but I think its in the works already. They will just use the land till the developers get everything set to build. Remember it takes a year or two get a building going so it could be another 6 months to a year till we hear if something will happen with that land. :thumbsup::whistling:

As of right now its parking for the cruise ships until as said by the mayor interested developers want the land but I think its in the works already.  They will just use the land till the developers get everything set to build. Remember it takes a year or two get a building going so it could be another 6 months to a year till we hear if something will happen with that land. :thumbsup:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think the vertical power center idea will resurface? Some Miami company wanted to build one in the late 90's at the DT Plaza, but the Tech Bust killed it. There're a couple of them here in the L.A. area. In the right place they are successful. In the wrong place, they tank. It'd be perfect to bring a Best Buy, B&N, Expo Design Center (all those condos are the target market), Target, Staples, and maybe a mid-level market like Kroger to downtown.

Think the vertical power center idea will resurface?  Some Miami company wanted to build one in the late 90's at the DT Plaza, but the Tech Bust killed it.  There're a couple of them here in the L.A. area.  In the right place they are successful.  In the wrong place, they tank.  It'd be perfect to bring a Best Buy, B&N, Expo Design Center (all those condos are the target market), Target, Staples, and maybe a mid-level market like Kroger to downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so. The center piece of that was going to be a 33-story building and that would have been nice. :)

But thats not a national website. That's a website that just deals with Granby street and no other development outside that area. We want to know about all of the projects they may have coming here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but the site is only about Marathon Development and thier projects and gives contact info....seems like the best official site they have up as of now.

its only for granby though...they have websites for their other projects as well, such as the nolde bakery lofts in Richmond.... however, they dont have a corporate website like many other development companies do. For example, Daniel Corp. has an official website, with details on things theyve done or will do. They also have specific websites for each project...

Think the vertical power center idea will resurface?  Some Miami company wanted to build one in the late 90's at the DT Plaza, but the Tech Bust killed it.  There're a couple of them here in the L.A. area.  In the right place they are successful.  In the wrong place, they tank.  It'd be perfect to bring a Best Buy, B&N, Expo Design Center (all those condos are the target market), Target, Staples, and maybe a mid-level market like Kroger to downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A good idea then and an even better one now.

Kroger probably won't be coming downtown anytime soon with the new G.W./Farm Fresh grocery store being built in Harbor Heights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The G.W. is somewhat small for a full selection grocery store and it appears to be an upscale one at that. If I still lived in HR, I'd consider myself to be DT target market: young professional. Out here in SoCal, we have several gourmet stores from local markets like Irvine Ranch Market to regional chains like Gelson's and Bristol Farms. On occasion I splurge on some fresh fish and bread and prepared gourmet meals from these places. However, I do most of my shopping at Albertson's and Ralph's (Kroger's west coast chain). A lot of people I know do the same. With the population growth in DT, it can support two stores: one for everyday and the other for dinner parties and such.

The G.W. is somewhat small for a full selection grocery store and it appears to be an upscale one at that.  If I still lived in HR, I'd consider myself to be DT target market:  young professional.  Out here in SoCal, we have several gourmet stores from local markets like Irvine Ranch Market to regional chains like Gelson's and Bristol Farms.  On occasion I splurge on some fresh fish and bread and prepared gourmet meals from these places.  However, I do most of my shopping at Albertson's and Ralph's (Kroger's west coast chain).  A lot of people I know do the same.  With the population growth in DT, it can support two stores:  one for everyday and the other for dinner parties and such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that we would need two more Granby Towers before we could support another Grocery store DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is this vertical power center you speak of? :D

Is it a high rise shopping center???

What is this vertical power center you speak of?  :D

Is it a high rise shopping center???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure whether this is a rhetorical question or not, so I'll answer it. It's a parking garage version of a shopping center. For example: Parking and Target on level one, Parking on level two, Staples and Kroger and Parking on level three, B&N and Walgreens and Parking on level four, and TJMax on level five.

Not sure whether this is a rhetorical question or not, so I'll answer it.  It's a parking garage version of a shopping center.  For example:  Parking and Target on level one, Parking on level two, Staples and Kroger and Parking on level three, B&N and Walgreens and Parking on level four, and TJMax on level five.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone still think that this is still possible for the city of Norfolk?

Anyone still think that this is still possible for the city of Norfolk?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the only way to get large stores into downtown. I doubt a big box like Target or Lowe's would be involved (just too large), but stores like Best Buy, B&N, BB&B, Office Depot, etc. have no other options DT if they want a full service store. They could be involved in a high-rise development but one retailer would take the entire ground floor. Economics doesn't justify a stand-alone. Putting them together provides a combined draw. If you live in Cpeake and you want a book, you can go to your B&N. But if you're in DT for work, shopping, or whatever, a power center could draw you over to buy that book or DVD player. And the power center wouldn't just be for DT residents. It's for everyone living in west and north Norfolk unless someone wants to redevelop the mess that is Ward's Corner.

Archived