Providence Must-Sees

emerging.me

Hey all,

We're heading up to Providence in mid-May and I was wondering if you guys could tell us some definite must-sees. We're there for a few days, but I don't know if we can stay for Waterfire on the 28th -- obviously, I'd love to. Probably staying at the Westin. Hitting Providence for a few days and then moving on to Boston and some exploring and adventure in more rural areas.

Specifically... I'm a fan of unique architecture, cool neighborhoods and funky areas. So, if you can give suggestions on those as well, it'd be cool.

Also... maybe the best live music venue? I like modern rock, acoustic singer-songwriter type stuff, etc.

I spend most of my UrbanPlanet time on the Columbia, SC board, but I've really enjoyed checking out this section of the site. Nice job, Cotuit.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benefit Street, WaterPlace Park, Prospect Park (great view point of skyline), State House: these are all close together and you can just walk around and see them all. Westminster street in downtown might be good to check out but right now theres not too much there.

Federal Hill on the west side is a great Italian section.

Wickenden is an interesting funky street. Thayer is a popular street but is mostly take out food places catering to college students.

Benefit Street, WaterPlace Park, Prospect Park (great view point of skyline), State House: these are all close together and you can just walk around and see them all.  Westminster street in downtown might be good to check out but right now theres not too much there.

Federal Hill on the west side is a great Italian section.

Wickenden is an interesting funky street.  Thayer is a popular street but is mostly take out food places catering to college students.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great suggestions.

As for places outside Prov., there's obviously Newport, but there are tons of funky little places throughout the state, such as Galilee, Peace Dale, Wakefield, Wickford (in South County), Bristol and Warren (in the East Bay), you might even check out some of the Blackstone Valley to the north of Prov., get breakfast at the Modern Diner in Pawtucket (cash only), and you might explore the villages of Ashton and Albion on the Blackstone River and then hit Woonsocket where you can get dinner and maybe some live jazz at Chan's.

Great suggestions.

As for places outside Prov., there's obviously Newport, but there are tons of funky little places throughout the state, such as Galilee, Peace Dale, Wakefield, Wickford (in South County), Bristol and Warren (in the East Bay), you might even check out some of the Blackstone Valley to the north of Prov., get breakfast at the Modern Diner in Pawtucket (cash only), and you might explore the villages of Ashton and Albion on the Blackstone River and then hit Woonsocket where you can get dinner and maybe some live jazz at Chan's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome. Thanks to all for the suggestions! Some were already on my list, and I've added the others. Feel free to keep sharing if more come to mind...

Hey all,

We're heading up to Providence in mid-May and I was wondering if you guys could tell us some definite must-sees. We're there for a few days, but I don't know if we can stay for Waterfire on the 28th -- obviously, I'd love to.

Awesome. Thanks to all for the suggestions! Some were already on my list, and I've added the others. Feel free to keep sharing if more come to mind...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please check out South Main St. This area (downtown) gets overlooked at lot, but it's quite lively every night. Many fine restuarants and historic buildings, and a small cinema with couches and a sidewalk cafe.

Archived