Bangor - A Queen City exclusive!

Welcome to Bangor, Maine! Population 31,000-ish. It is officialy the second largest city in Maine, and located about 2 and a half hours from Portland.

Bangor was once the logging capital of the world and is where Steven King was born. It's also near the Univeristy of Maine (which is what brought me up this way).

15oq.jpg

across14tq.jpg

across28vs.jpg

art14xg.jpg

square4yt.jpg

square27ud.jpg

On an unrelated note, Bangor has been the home to the "National Folk (Music) Fesitrval" the past 2 years and this upcoming year will be home to the "American Folk Fesitval" becuase some other town is getting the national one.

down17an.jpg

water19ii.jpg

water27dc.jpg

canon14pl.jpg

up29rq.jpg

up11oo.jpg

The opera house is still in use, or so they say

across38pk.jpg

You are in this general area

map1.jpg

busstop3py.jpg

320kr.jpg

This is the one googled shot in this thread, a picture of the Paul Bunyon statue which is located near the Bangor Auditorium and is supposed to celebrate the area's ties to the lumber industry.

bunmaine.jpg

Abraham Lincoln's first vice president (Hannibal Hamlin) thanks you for viewing this thread. :)

bye4dq.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very Nice.  I saw Bangor on City Cofidential.  It was about this murder of a doctor.  I had some nice views of Bangor.  They went though a nice lecture on the town.  I was impressed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That show is so funny, they've had two Rhode Island ones, one in Providence and one in Barrington. They spend the intro to the show showing you how wonderful the city is and showing beautiful pictures, then go into the horrible tragic things that happened.

Bangor is not worth a visit LOL who ever said that take it back.... Its like Fitchburg Mass cut in two. If u like Fitchburg than u will probably like Bangor Maine. Its friggin halarious how its Maine's 2nd largest city.

This is MAine....

Portland = 65,000 population

Bangor= ~39,000

Lewiston= ~39,000

what else is there?

NOTHING ....trees

Is it really the oldest? I would have expected Arizona or Florida to claim that title...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Florida is number two. The aging of the New England population is going to be a big issue in the coming years as far as things like health care costs are concerned.

Sorry to be pendantic, but Bangor is the third largest city, (Lewiston is second) and Stephen King lives in Bangor, but was born in Portland and grew up in Durham.

I'm a graduate of the University of Maine, Orono, and visited Bangor frequently. While perhaps not as exciting as New York City, nor as picturesque as Acadia National Park, I have fond memories of the city, and it derserves more growth and prosperity than has been it's lot in recent years.

Sorry to be pendantic, but Bangor is the third largest city, (Lewiston is second) and Stephen King lives in Bangor, but was born in Portland and grew up in Durham. 

I'm a graduate of the University of Maine, Orono, and visited Bangor frequently.  While perhaps not as exciting as New York City, nor as picturesque as Acadia National Park, I have fond memories of the city, and it derserves more growth and prosperity than has been it's lot in recent years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points indeed. I wasn't aware that Lewiston on its own (without Aurburn) was that big yet. And I still think they should built a Stephen King statue down by the river.

In other news, I too will be a graduate of the Univeristy of Maine (class of 2009) B)

Lewiston has always been second largest, and Bangor third, Actually both cities (and Portland too) have been losing population every census for the last thirty years. Lewiston at it's height, around 1970 had a population of 42,000, Portland, around 75,000, and Bangor, about 35,000.

Actually the Paul Bunyon statue looks a little like Stephen King, when he had his beard...

That show is so funny, they've had two Rhode Island ones, one in Providence and one in Barrington. They spend the intro to the show showing you how wonderful the city is and showing beautiful pictures, then go into the horrible tragic things that happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that show is funny, i remember seeing the one on the footbal player in charlotte. i think their profiles of the cities are pretty interesting though. sometimes i watch them just to get to know a little more about the town that the murder happened in. :lol:

Some people actually choose to live in portland over  say boston, gasp!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd live in either Portland or Burlington, VT now if my boyfriend wasn't such a wimp about winter. I lived in Portland for a little while, it can be quite a bore if you're under 21, not a lot going on for the 18+ crowd. But I really liked it all the same.

Archived