Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoreyPortlandME

Bangor!

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to Bangor, Maine! Population 31,000-ish. It is officialy the second largest city in Maine, and located about 2 and a half hours from Portland.

Bangor was once the logging capital of the world and is where Steven King was born. It's also near the Univeristy of Maine (which is what brought me up this way).

15oq.jpg

across14tq.jpg

across28vs.jpg

art14xg.jpg

square4yt.jpg

square27ud.jpg

On an unrelated note, Bangor has been the home to the "National Folk (Music) Fesitrval" the past 2 years and this upcoming year will be home to the "American Folk Fesitval" becuase some other town is getting the national one.

down17an.jpg

water19ii.jpg

water27dc.jpg

canon14pl.jpg

up29rq.jpg

up11oo.jpg

The opera house is still in use, or so they say

across38pk.jpg

You are in this general area

map1.jpg

busstop3py.jpg

320kr.jpg

This is the one googled shot in this thread, a picture of the Paul Bunyon statue which is located near the Bangor Auditorium and is supposed to celebrate the area's ties to the lumber industry.

bunmaine.jpg

Abraham Lincoln's first vice president (Hannibal Hamlin) thanks you for viewing this thread.

bye4dq.jpg

Yay, a classic New England city! I've never seen pics of Bangor before, it's quite nice. Also that building with all the rafters, is it under construction or renovation?

Hmmm, I always wondered what Bangor looked like after I visited Portland. Looks like a great little Maine city.

That stream running through downtown has a lot of potential...

Bangor..gosh, I miss the place. I went to UMaine and grew up in southern Maine. The photos do the city justice. Nice to see Paul again...

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

That building with the scaffolding is under some sort of exterior renovation or perhaps being cleaned for the first time in many decades. They sure don't build 'em like that anymore.

And I am in the same boat as mainegal821, coming from the south and going up to umaine.