PROPOSED: Quonset Point Gateway

Cotuit

Quonset Business Park

Three developers have offered plans for building commercial, office and hotel space at the entrance to the state-owned industrial park.

BY ANDREA L. STAPE Journal Staff Writer | April 19, 2005

The state is in the process of choosing a developer to transform the entrance of the Quonset Business Park into retail shops, office space and hotel rooms.

The approximately $100-million, 87-acre proposed development would serve as a gateway into the state-owned industrial park and as a catalyst for future business expansion at Quonset, said Charlie Francis, president of C.B. Richard Ellis Rhode Island, a professional real-estate broker hired by the state to sell and lease land in the 3,174-acre North Kingstown industrial area.

"If you think about it, it's still pretty dismal when you arrive at Quonset and that needs to be changed. That's what this is all about," said Francis.

Carpionato's proposal is for "The Promenade at Quonset," which would include slightly more than 1 million square feet of shops and restaurants as well as office and hotel space. The proposal describes a town center with a structured "greenway harking back to the town greens of the colonial era."

Cornish Associates' proposal talks about creating a neighborhood that encourages pedestrian traffic and creates "outdoor rooms." In addition to office space, it includes a post office, theater, grocery store and possible residential areas. Currently, though, the town of North Kingstown doesn't allow housing at the site, said Francis.

New Boston Development's proposal also looks to create a village-type atmosphere, complete with a bandstand or gazebo and an outdoor theater. New Boston also specficially mentions a bank, a grocery store and a pharmacy in addition to office space.

Continue reading at ProJo.com

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to say the least. My parents recently moved to North Kingstown right near Quonset. The new development should definitely have some housing (with some cheap units) though, since the town is lacking in affordable housing to begin with. The area's filled with NIMBY's though, so who knows what will happen...

Sounds good to say the least.  My parents recently moved to North Kingstown right near Quonset.  The new development should definitely have some housing (with some cheap units)  though, since the town is lacking in affordable housing to begin with.  The area's filled with NIMBY's though, so who knows what will happen...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's all hope Michael Kent of North Kingston dosen't get his hands on that property. Mr Kent has got to be one of the biggest A holes in this state. He owns The Complex on Pine St and The Strand, amongst others. He's the kind of guy who'll spend $1 million dollars on legal fees to prove he's right. His neighbors in NK protested when he wanted to put an addition to his house and they won. To get even, he cut down all the trees in the front of his property and painted the stumps yellow, green and other weird colors. He's made a lot of noise down in FL (second home) also.

This seems to be one of the governor's pet-projects. Is the mayor of NK a republican, does he have a good relationship with the governor? Hopefully he can ensure that the governor picks the right developer.

My pick would be Cornish. What they've done Downcity, and their work at Mashpee Commons on the Cape make me feel they are the best for this kind of project. And I hope they can get the zoning changed to allow for residential development. This is really the perfect area to run rail or express buses to Providence from.

Not sure about politics in North Kingstown...I know there was a lot of negative concern over putting a container port in at Quonset, despite its economic opportunities.

If they're smart, the town will use Quonset to fulfill their affordable housing needs, since I remember reading that they were in trouble for not having enough affordable units percentage wise. Despite popular belief that North Kingstown is filled with wealthy sprawl lovers, the Quonset area of North Kingstown is actually one of the only areas in South County that has a minority and lower income presence currently.

This would be a great place for a commuter rail stop, in fact the Sierra Club supports a commuter rail with its southern terminus at Quonset (to prevent more sprawl they said). Right now though all thats going on is a new highway (route 402 relocation) connecting the port to Route 4, which many groups like the Sierra Club also opposed. RIPTA's 14 bus serves the area as well (which i will most likely be taking to work this summer if i live at home) with frequent service that is highly underutilized despite the fact that it gets you to Providence for only $1.50.

The DOT and EDC are also looking into using one of the old rail lines that connects to the AMTRAK main line for a bike path into Quonset.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ProJo article

Basically about how the state is luring specific industries to specific parts of the 3,000 acre park, and how the park has survived a major base closing much like the ones happening around the northeast currently.

For the "quonset gateway" section of the park, it mentions a New Boston Development Partners LLC plan for a supermarket, hotel, office and retail space, restaurants and a bike path. No housing plans though, which is what the area needs....

• 11 months later...

Does this new road totally bypass Devil's Foot Rd?

Yes it does. It goes from Roger Williams Way and Davisville Road in Quonset under Route 1 (with an interchange) and then runs south of Devils Foot Rd as four lanes and then connects to Davisville Rd over the Amtrak lines where it goes back down to 2 lanes. The section over Route 4 is also complete and now serves as a temporary detour for Frenchtown Road traffic.

An aside, the TOD mentioned in the article along the NE Corridor (West Davisville), where did this come from? There won't be any TOD there because there will be no commuter rail stop there. Wickford Junction and East Greenwich are pretty set in stone, so unless there are new plans for an additional stop at West Davisville then this won't serve anything. West Davisville was the Sierra Club's wish for a final stop and was mentioned in the Washington County TOD study but other than that, there's been nothing.

• 3 months later...

PROJO Blog:

Quonset gateway plans to be unveiled

Plans for a new ``gateway'' to the Quonset Business Park in North Kingstown include a mix of retail stores, office space, walking paths and greenspace.

The Quonset Development Corporation that runs the old Navy base and New Boston Development Corp., the company hired to design the entrance, will present the plans this morning at the park.

The proposal includes ``The Shops at Quonset Point,'' an $80 million mix that includes a hotel, visitors' center, restaurants, a bank, a drug store and other shops.

PROJO Blog:

Quonset gateway plans to be unveiled

Plans for a new ``gateway'' to the Quonset Business Park in North Kingstown include a mix of retail stores, office space, walking paths and greenspace.

The Quonset Development Corporation that runs the old Navy base and New Boston Development Corp., the company hired to design the entrance, will present the plans this morning at the park.

The proposal includes ``The Shops at Quonset Point,'' an $80 million mix that includes a hotel, visitors' center, restaurants, a bank, a drug store and other shops.

Retail complex unveiled for former Navy base

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...07.2d882a0.html

The project will be funded through New Boston Fund's Urban Strategy America Fund. New Boston said the fund's mission is to bring returns to investors while promoting economic development in an environmentally conscious way.
Preliminary sketches of the storefronts show connected, street-level shops with a corrugated metal facade. They are reached by a wide sidewalk partially covered by a multicolored metal awning.

New Boston said the complex will be "pedestrian friendly" and will include green space.

Can someone explain to me how this development can be "pedestrian friendly" when there are exactly zero sidewalks from the shops crossing the parking lots and across the drainage swales to the street? There are lots of houses and apartments in the immediate area that could use a genuine pedestrian friendly development.

Their definition of "pedestrian" seems to be someone who already drove there. Not that you could cross Route 1 at that spot on foot without seriously jeopardizing your life.

When does this developerspeak end? Why don't they just claim it's an ocean-front highrise? It's almost more accurate-it's gotta be almost 20 feet (high for someone with a fear of heights) and a lot closer to the ocean than, say, similar strip malls in Vermont.

When I saw the pic Cotuit posted from Channel 10 I thought WOW, North Kingstown is going to build something nice and pedestrian friendly, how great! Then I saw the site layout a few posts down....what can I say, typical NK development. I wouldn't expect anything more out of such a lame town. Another missed opportunity to build something nice and walkable. FYI, this area is surrounded by lower income apartments and duplexes and is on a major bus route. Perfect opportunity to cater to those without cars, yet it will be missed.

Another missed opportunity to build something nice and walkable. FYI, this area is surrounded by lower income apartments and duplexes and is on a major bus route. Perfect opportunity to cater to those without cars, yet it will be missed.

Agreed. Plus, the folks living in the apartments north of the development behind the Getty station will have lovely views of the ass end of Kohls, a row of dumpsters, and maybe even a dropped trailer or two looking out their windows across Newcomb Rd.

I guess this is the kind of suburban development we should have learned to live with by now. Its definitely walkable and pedestrian friendly - in a Garden City sort of way.

Agreed. Plus, the folks living in the apartments north of the development behind the Getty station will have lovely views of the ass end of Kohls, a row of dumpsters, and maybe even a dropped trailer or two looking out their windows across Newcomb Rd.

I guess this is the kind of suburban development we should have learned to live with by now. Its definitely walkable and pedestrian friendly - in a Garden City sort of way.

It really angers me. North Kingstown has navy housing converted into Crossroads RI Apartments on Devil's Foot Road, Section 8 housing at Kings Grant (the apartments on Newcomb Road), rows of efficiency apartments converted from old motels down the street on Route 1, an entire neighborhood of dense duplexes off Post Rd across from 7 Moons and a number of mobile home parks all in this immediate area. There's sidewalks up and down Route 1 and pedestrian lights at all the intersections. Why in the hell are we now adding new development and making it autocentric? We could easily make this a nice little dense development with good connections to the surrounding housing, add more service on the #14 bus and make it always express from East Greenwich and wa-la!, North Kingstown could something more than Wickford surrounded by aging sprawl and McMansions.

Archived