PROPOSED: Quonset Point Gateway

Cotuit

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this part of the industrial park (the gateway) has long been viewed as comercial. The interior portions of the park is where the corporate/industrial stuff will go. The commercial aspect was to act as a 'convenience' to the thousands of future workers on thier way in/out of work, etc. I do have to admit that I pictured a much differant mix of commercial (and differant layout/design) than what is going in there now though. The Dave's sounds pretty good though...

All development is not good development. They are putting a fvcking big box shopping plaza in an industrial park that the state of RI spent millions and millions of $$ to provide better highway access through the "desperately needed" transportation bonds in an effort to attract big tax paying high salary corporations to this state. I am outraged. Forget about the fact that we "educated" RI'ers just approved another huge white elephant transportation bond this past election year. And to you "urban" folks that were mesmerized with certain verbage and literature when you voted yes...verbage that included commuter rail as part of the package.....sparking one of those joyful moments in life....Do you think that this area has any chances now of getting commuter rail? Seriously, we've just spent millions of dollars so some lardass on the couch in So. Kingstown can drive right off the highway and shop at kohl's without having to drive the additional 6 miles to Warwick for their big box sinful pleasures. This is pathetic and borderline criminal. I'm so disgusted with the short-sightedness of the people in this state. I thought the Pawtucket train station was enough but this is more icing on the cake! :angry::angry::angry:

Jerry, first of all, calm the f*ck down.

Second of all, what do I have to do to get you to stop passive aggressively attacking other members, enough already.

Third, as mental757 states, this has always been a commercial zone. The Quonset access road was not specifically built for this project, it was built for the industrial and office uses further inside Quonset. And Quonset has slowly been showing signs of attracting more business. The businesses inside Quonset will want this retail and will especially want the proposed hotel. This project, as tacky strippy as it is, will help sell the rest of Quonset.

Does this state really need ANOTHER Lowe's??? They and Home Depot are becoming like Dunkin Donuts now. And Dave's is currently right up the street on Frenchtown Road, so will they be closing that store to open a new one here?

I for one am very disapointed with how Quonset Gateway is turning out. On the other hand, what can we really expect in North Kingstown? Commuter rail will go nowhere near this site so all we can base any good urban form around is RIPTA bus service, which isn't capable of justifying making this area a dense walkable area connected to others via transit. Same thing for Chapel View I guess.

It really angers me. North Kingstown has navy housing converted into Crossroads RI Apartments on Devil's Foot Road, Section 8 housing at Kings Grant (the apartments on Newcomb Road), rows of efficiency apartments converted from old motels down the street on Route 1, an entire neighborhood of dense duplexes off Post Rd across from 7 Moons and a number of mobile home parks all in this immediate area. There's sidewalks up and down Route 1 and pedestrian lights at all the intersections. Why in the hell are we now adding new development and making it autocentric? We could easily make this a nice little dense development with good connections to the surrounding housing, add more service on the #14 bus and make it always express from East Greenwich and wa-la!, North Kingstown could something more than Wickford surrounded by aging sprawl and McMansions.

Agreed. Along with Don Powers, I designed a master plan for Quonset Point under the team of Cornish and Leyland. We were not chosen because we insisted on integrating housing into the mix - this was not wanted by the surrounding towns (housing = children = too much burden on schools - this is one of the biggest barriers to new urbanism in Mew England).

• 3 weeks later...

I hate being a word nazi, but the mis-use of the word editorial always bugs me a little (and I think a lot of people don't realize how it's being misused.) So hopefully no one will consider me too big of an a-hole for pointing out that "editorials" are the official opinions of the paper/publisher. Those are the unsigned bits on the far left in the ProJo. The other pieces on the page are commentaries, opinions and columns, and those are usually referred to as op-eds, because they are printed opposite the editorials. Letters to the editor aren't editorials either, they're just letters to the editor. I think a lot of confusion comes from the idea that there's an "editorial section" in which all the above appear together (though in the ProJo I think it's marked "Commentary," which is more precise).

Just wanted to put that out there, don't hate me! :unsure:

I hate being a word nazi, but the mis-use of the word editorial always bugs me a little (and I think a lot of people don't realize how it's being misused.) So hopefully no one will consider me too big of an a-hole for pointing out that "editorials" are the official opinions of the paper/publisher. Those are the unsigned bits on the far left in the ProJo. The other pieces on the page are commentaries, opinions and columns, and those are usually referred to as op-eds, because they are printed opposite the editorials. Letters to the editor aren't editorials either, they're just letters to the editor. I think a lot of confusion comes from the idea that there's an "editorial section" in which all the above appear together (though in the ProJo I think it's marked "Commentary," which is more precise).

Just wanted to put that out there, don't hate me! :unsure:

Last night, while checking this week's wonderful weather forecast at NOAA I noticed the following "top story".

NOAA considders RI's Quonset Point / Davisville facility as home port for Ocean Exploration ship

I am excited that we are being seriously considered for this. We have one of the highest concentrations of Oceanographic talent in the US and the more we can do to leverage these unique resources the better. It may not bring tons of jobs to the area directly, but it will have a definite positive impact on the state.

Last night, while checking this week's wonderful weather forecast at NOAA I noticed the following "top story".

NOAA considders RI's Quonset Point / Davisville facility as home port for Ocean Exploration ship

I am excited that we are being seriously considered for this. We have one of the highest concentrations of Oceanographic talent in the US and the more we can do to leverage these unique resources the better. It may not bring tons of jobs to the area directly, but it will have a definite positive impact on the state.

Thanks Matt! Good to hear...

I was hoping that someone would eventually volunteer through GC:PVD to be a "Lighting Czar" of sorts to follow-up on such things and build contact lists at the various buildings.

Out of curiosity, I remember someone posting to UP about a year or two ago who said they were someone working on public and civic lighting projects and art. Is that person still reading outhere, whoever you are?

- Garris

Archived