Top Cities for Relocation 2004

Tayfromcarolina

Just thought everyone would like to know why that feeling like everybody you meet here in NC isn't from here might be truer than you thought. They arent they are from elsewhere.

1:07 PM CDT on Monday, April 11, 2005

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

The next time you pass a moving van on the interstate highway, it's likely to be heading for Dallas.

Or Washington, Atlanta or Chicago

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that many people pouring into Raleigh (and the triangle area in general), it should be clear that we need the TTA rail system to provide a framework for development. Give people a choice other than to sprawl out in suburban apartments and subdivisions of McMansions across the countryside. If the regional rail system could capture even 10% of the people who move here, just imagine what the triangle would look like five years after opening day...

With that many people pouring into Raleigh (and the triangle area in general), it should be clear that we need the TTA rail system to provide a framework for development. Give people a choice other than to sprawl out in suburban apartments and subdivisions of McMansions across the countryside. If the regional rail system could capture even 10% of the people who move here, just imagine what the triangle would look like five years after opening day...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just hope this doesn't mean that by the time I can afford to buy a house at today's prices that property values have gone up too high for me again. This is what I've experienced in CA already and I'm dang tired of it!

Rust Belt here I come? At least there house prices are falling :P

MM

• 1 month later...

I attest Washington being #1 is mainly because of the Dulles Greenway & VA 28 corridors that are attracting large corporations. Northern Virginia has out of control sprawl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, but let me be the first to say that NoVa sucks. I've lived here (well 4 days/wk.) for over a year now, so I can attest to that. It's ridiculously expensive, poorly planned, traffic is some of the worst I've ever seen, and there's nothing to do for single 20-30 yr olds...except go to D.C. which is about 25 miles away.

But there are a ton of corporate HQs around here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No offense to anyone there, but who the **** wants to move to Dallas?

Texas in general has some of the worst weather catastrophes in meteorological history.  Also, Charlotte is hot enough during the summer months...why would I want to go somewhere thats 105+ degrees in June-Aug?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crazy people move to Dallas. That's what it's there for, the nation's sanitorium.

Seriously, would you want your neighbors to be heat-loving crazies? Of course not. Glad they're somewhere else!

j/k Dallas obviously. Except for the heat part.

• 4 months later...

No offense to anyone there, but who the **** wants to move to Dallas?

Texas in general has some of the worst weather catastrophes in meteorological history. Also, Charlotte is hot enough during the summer months...why would I want to go somewhere thats 105+ degrees in June-Aug?

A lot of people move to Dallas because it's in one of the fastest growing regions in the country and has one of the best job markets. I could care less about the weather just as long as I have a good job and a decent place to live. I'd pick Dallas over Charlotte anyday.

Archived