european transports

urban10

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how european metros and buses differs from the american subways and buses including the british underground/bus transit  in fare payment,conditions and etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that I am the best person to answer you because I never been in the US (but I will hopefully soon :) ).

But I can say that European transport systems is generally considered very good.

Here in Stockholm half of our public transportation system is paid via taxes (we have probably the worlds highest taxes - I want to get out of this sick country :) ) and the other half with tickets.

A monthly ticket that gives you unlimited travels with the subway lines, buses, trams, commuter trains, ferries etc. cost $87 or $52 if you are a student, senior citizen or with other special needs.

The British underground (or tube) are also pretty good. But old! It was built in the late 1800-century and it shows! But the trains come and go almost every minute so you never have to wait and with the London traffic it's the best transportation system in rush hour. A one week card cost $33.

Below are a few images from Stockholm public transportation system....

000012840.jpg

The new commuter train.

C20_2l15_Nyboda.jpg

The subway train.

sl_c20_2067.jpg

Subway.

vagn2000bild2.jpg

Inside the subway.

The biggest difference is that Europeans actually use their rail systems. With the exception of New York City, most of America relies on their cars to get around.

On my trips to Europe I have found the rail sytem much more convenient for getting around the large cities (Paris, London).

Here in Stockholm half of our public transportation system is paid via taxes (we have probably the worlds highest taxes - I want to get out of this sick country  :) )

WHAT? have you ever bought alkohol in norway? ...Now stop complaining! :P

My impression of U.S mass transit compared to european mass transit... well, the main difference is that SO many people use it in europe, while in the u.s most cities don't even have a proper public transportaion system. My town of 40,000 people have a much better public transportation than Boulder, colorado... and in boulder is three times as big! And note: boulder was voted the best middle-sized city to live in in the entire u.s.

A thing though was that the public transportation system was about half the price as it is here.

In the norwegian states of Vestfold, Buskerud, and Telemark, a youth/student-card costs 200kr ($32), and you can travel as much as you'd like within those states for one month. A VERY good deal, I'd say. For adults though, sadly, it is four times more expencive.

In OSLO a montly ticket for mass transit (included unlimited rides for: subway, trams, local trains, ferries, and buses) cost 700kr ($110). If you are a student it costs 400kr ($64).

The standard of the buses where I live, Vestfold, are very good. I'd say top notch. In oslo the buses are about the same, though they may appear more "hazzled" with.

The trams in oslo vary in quality.

SL95_147_Jernbanetorget_Oslo_020519.jpg

SL79-1_108_Aker_Brygge_Oslo_021031.jpg

and the underground looks like this:

2003120707%20suburban%20norway%20oslo%20t-bane.JPG

The quality is poor - the interior is OK and clean, but they break down ALL the time. New ones are ordered though:

T-bane_siemens_13897c.jpg

Will start service from 2006 and all will be replaced by 2008. ...probarly 2012.

The local trains:

nsb_bm69_688_1.jpg

Old ones were poor, but clean. These are the new ones:

type72-m-pass_1518388a.jpg

I've always admired European transit. I think the quality of transit correlates with the design of the city. From what I've seen, most of Europe's cities are relatively dense, compared to America's suburban sprawl. It's much easier to have successful mass transit in dense, walkable cities than in the automobile suburbs.

Archived