Downtown Detroit

meguy22

Minneapolis just dosnt have that, thats why i dislike it, and what would being in the city have to do with seeing its skyline?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, a terrific skyline is kinda useless to the people in the city if the streetscape lets it down. Houston pops immediately to mind. If you want an example of bland, anonymous tall buildings with a street life that lacks urban sense and is as sterile as could be, it's Houston, not Minneapolis. The Twin Cities streetscapes are wonderful and walkable, and it has dramatic vistas, being surrounded by parks and having rivers running through them.

I never thought much of the Twin Cities appearance until I lived nearby, and my view changed 180 degrees. Visit, and you may think twice.

Here are a few photos from my Minneapolis collection... I'll post more later:

minneapoliscalhounmod22oz.jpg

skyscrapercenter9zv.jpg

minneapoliswarehousefog1lo.jpg

- Garris

Providence, RI

----------------

Check out our Providence/RI Photo of the Day thread!

----------------

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the Renaissance Center is beautiful. The Marriott Rennaissance Center looks like a rippoff of the Westin peachtree plaza in Atlanta ( though MArriott is 1 meter taller). It's a shame detroit get's bad mouthed , well it is kinda ugly, in a way. No offense Detroit people. You might think Atlanta is ugly, but I dont care.

My 1st trip to Detroit was in 1986. We went for vacation to see the Henery Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. I tell everyone how great it is, worth a trip from anywhere. We entered the city from canada and had lunch on top of the hotel ( Westen?) that revolves. Nice resturant at that time) The Ren Center seemed dark and dreary, maybe it was time for redecorating. Then we tried to get a city tour but there was none available. Someone sugested the people mover. What we saw from that train made such an impression on me I will never forget it. Block after block of abandon 1920's era skyscrapers. 1950's era venetian blinds blowing in the wind from the glassless windows on the high floors of these abandon buildings. No people and no traffic downtown except an occasional abandon car up on blocks in the middle of the street. It was sureal, like the day after the end of the world. We went on to our suburban hotel and saw most of the suburbs which are as nice as any in U.S. I was also impressed with extensive freeway system, reminded me of LA.

I passed through Detroit again in '98. Downtown didn't look much better except they were tearing down alot of the abandon buildings and replacing them with empty lots. One of these days I will get back again. I would love to see that Henery Ford museum again and see whats happened downtown.

Yep, they are right within the Central business district. The area where they were built was a busy part of the downtown in its heyday, but had gone downhill during the decline of the city. The ballparks really fit well in that spot, since it's hard to develop urban areas that are wedged between the intersection of two freeways.

If someone can find a better photo it would be nice. Anyway, this shows the location of Comerica park, to the left is where Ford Field now exists. The warehouse you see on that site was integrated into the stadium

10041940.jpg

This skyline does remind me of a city from 30 or 40 year ago and from what byson said it sound pretty empty. It is very sad cause this city had to be amazing and vibrant at one time. It is such a shame that a great beautiful dowtown from 40,50, or even 60 years ago could turn so empty amd dreary. Even worse is they are tearing down the buildings to build parking lots. Although I have never been there this sounds like the saddest city in America. I think the city would be so much better without the huge mass of buildings on the left of the picture. Sounds like they took all the other buildings tennants. :(

I will be honest in saying that Detroit can be very depressing at times. There were many great buildings where those surface lots once stood. Although there is still a beautiful collection of pre-depression office buildings downtown, it's hard for them compete with the newer, more effiicent office buildings in the suburbs. However, extensive renovations are helping make them more appealing to businesses and corporations. Although it can feel depressing at times, I try to look at all that has happened in the past decade at revitalizing the downtown. So much incredible stuff has happened in such a short period of time. Things are beginning to gain momentum. I think the moment will come when things just suddently take off. More and more people are realizing the importance of our cities as our suburbs have become generic and monotonous. Things have really filled in those empty spots as Michi said. Hopeuflly we will see a great city like Chicago and Minneapolis came to be.

Detroit is hardly "the saddest city in America". I think of it as quite the opposite actually. There is a ton of pride here between city and suburbs. There is a lot going on in Detroit and a lot going for it.

There are so many negative, lazy generalizations about the city that just aren't true or even accurate. Downtown is full of life, and not "abandoned" as so many people like to steer their beliefs. There's a lot of work to be done, but the situation is FAR from sad, and you can almost always tell someone has not a clue or has never been to the city based on their remarks...even if they have admitted it.

Detroit can probably teach more about urban America than any other city in the country. It's story has yet to be unearthed by the majority.

I do admit I have never been there and saddest in american was a exageration. What I mean is that a city wich about 40 years ago was so vibrant and bustling is now overshadowed by the suburbs. This is like most american cities and its really sad. I just said detroit was saddest cause it is on a whole nother scale in terms of size than other cities. It just makes me sad overall to se great old buildings replaced with parking lots. When I hear that Detroit, which apparently used to have tons of great buildings, is tearing down these buildings for parking lots its sad. Im glad their improving the city.

There are still problems. The ML was torn down and unfortunately it seems that this is the news that people not totally familiar with Detroit hear. They dont know about the Campus Martius development or the riverfront or the fact that people are either building or converting older buildings for housing downtown. I think as Detroit continues to grow with these kinds of projects people will begin to think of them when they think of Detroit instead of just what we tear down.

Detroit is hardly "the saddest city in America".  I think of it as quite the opposite actually.  There is a ton of pride here between city and suburbs.  There is a lot going on in Detroit and a lot going for it.

There are so many negative, lazy generalizations about the city that just aren't true or even accurate.  Downtown is full of life, and not "abandoned" as so many people like to steer their beliefs.  There's a lot of work to be done, but the situation is FAR from sad, and you can almost always tell someone has not a clue or has never been to the city based on their remarks...even if they have admitted it.

Detroit can probably teach more about urban America than any other city in the country.  It's story has yet to be unearthed by the majority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good on you , Detroit locals ! It takes people to make a vibrant downtown , and not the buildings ( although I think there aresome nice buildings in Detroit )

Although vacant lots do nothing for the city , perhaps you could look at them as being the potential space for future sustainable development ..... markets , artists quarter , .....whatever . If the people of Detroit really have a ton of pride , they will make use of the underutilised parts of their city .

^This is true, but anyone in Detroit who keeps up with the Jones'...that is, the city gov., private developers, legal officials, etc...knows that sometimes owners of property are just in this game for pure profit.

It boggles my mind how many times I hear stories of slum lords sitting on top of underused or abandoned buildings because "they're waiting for the big day!" WHAT?? What big day? Quite honestly, there is a lot of demand for many many many of Detroit's central core abandonment to be cleaned up. But when the owner has no other intrest than to make a buck when interest soars, I'm sorry to say, it's going to be a long long time before these kinds of people are removed from the system...further stalling Detroit's renaissance, and further risking demolition.

The two current examples of destruction are the Hotel Madison-Lenox and the Statler Hotel. The Madison Lenox was illegally torn down because the owner and city exhausted all of their resources in a fight against legallity and preservationists. Ho hum...shove a back ho into its guts and hope nobody notices... Not what I call a smart move during the dawning of a reelection era in the mayoral race.

The Statler had a few proposals for renovation from out-of-town developers, the latest being from New Orleans. Despite their committment to the building, the city turned them away, and stood their ground, determined to demolish what they consider an eyesore...not the HUGE footprint of a parking lot that will exist there in a few months.

So, what's wrong with these people? There needs to be a change in leadership and priority. What does it say about a city who thinks it can just illegally proceed with actions it KNOWS citizens are so adamantly opposed to? It completely demoralizes themselves and the people of the city. It's unwelcoming and proves that the people have no representation and are powerless against their ELECTED government.

Further more, there are people out there who are much more aware and educated about what preservation means to a city. I'm fine with the buildings being demolished in Detroit SO LONG as it is proven 100% that they can not be rehabbed. It's unfortunate, but has to be done. I have a problem with what has been happening. And WE ALL know darn well that if Illitch recognized a demand for so much development in downtown Detroit that he would have designated all his other surface lots surrounding his stadium to that effort. What does that say about the ML and the Statler. It says that they will sit as surface lots for much longer than we care for them to be.

It's backwards planning, and selling ourselves short.

Though I wish there was more we could do, you still can't underestimate the historical beauty that we are able to hold onto in Detroit:

detroit20_jpg.jpg

detroit42_jpg.jpg

detroit%20night1_jpg.jpg

detroit36_jpg.jpg

great pics, and Detroit is home to some of the most beautiful architecture, as well as some of the biggest urban mistakes.

The Ren Cen for starts should of never been built, that office space should of been built throughout the city center to help stimulate new growth instead of isolate the city, they could of generated tons of money for the city that way.

The other big mistake was the urban renewal that happened where the baseball stadium now sits. That area would of made a great old town like area. Plus the interstate could of been capped with a park on top. Unfortunately that is a mistake Detroit can never go back with.

As for Albany, I agree it is the same as the RenCen. I do however like the look of the ESP in Albany more, just wish it was built out in the suburbs of some suburban city.

Not only did it take up 40 blocks of high density neighborhoods (and taking huge amounts of properties off the tax rolls), it required two highways to be constructed for the traffic it produced.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That thing is a monstrosity and a disgrace to the architectural profession. Whats even more of a disgrace is that it made it by Albany's city council in the first place.

Where are the major car production areas in detroit? Any pics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The major auto plants are scattered all over metro Detroit. There are some active plants in the city proper, but not many. There are plenty of old factories though. Many of them stand abandoned, such as the Packard Plant, Fisher Body 21, the Studebaker Plant, etc. Piquette Avenue is an automotive graveyard of sorts. It is where the original Model T Factory is, along with other important plants. The original model T factory is being restored by TPLEX. Unfortunately many of the others sit rotting, since they long ago outlived their usefulness. Some have been converted into other uses, but there are just so many that it is impossible to convert them all. At one time there were literally hundreds of different auto plants in Detroit. I ran across a list of them one time. I will post it if I can find it again. The list was by no means complete, but it gave you a pretty good idea.

You've opened up a whole other can of worms here. These are lists that I saved to my computer a few months back. The first is a list of old auto companies that were located in Detroit. Over the years, GM bought many of them up, and others went out of business. The list is by no means complete. The second list is a list of standing and demolished auto factories in Detroit. Like the first list, it is not complete. Much of the information on the early factories has been lost to time.

Detroit Auto Companies

Hudson

Packard

Desoto

Plymouth

Edsel

Joy

Wayne

Detroit Electric

Graham

Paige

Hupmobile

Locomobile

Marmon

Maxwell

Chalmers

Oakland

Rickenbacker

Winton

Nash

LaSalle

Essex

Cord

Oldsmobile

Anderson Electric

Blomstrom

Queen

Studebaker

Brush

Baker

Commerical

Dingfelder

E-M-F

Krit Lozier

Reliance

Delux

Rambler

Detroit Auto & Auto-related Factories

(s) standing (d) demolished

Abbott- used Northern plant (1910) then built at Beaufait & Waterloo

American Electromobile (1906) 1571 River St.

Anderson (1907-19) factory- Riopelle & 416 Clay St. / warehouse- 81-83 Jefferson

Anhut > Barnes (1909-10) 510 Howard St.

Beyster Detroit (1910-11) 1329 Woodward Ave.

B.F. Everitt- 63-65 Fort St.

Bour-Davis- W. Ford & 23rd St. (d)

Briggs-Detroiter (1911-15) 461 Holbrook Ave & Grand Trunk RR

Brush- Oakland & Rhode Island Ave

Brush Runabout (1906-7) used Briscoe Factory

Buick Mfg. Co. (1902)- 416-418 Howard St.

Buick Auto-Vim & Power (1900)- 39 Beaubien St.

Cadillac Amsterdam Plant- 450 Amsterdam & 1363 Cass (d) fire 1904, rebuilt (1905-21) (s) > Wescott Bldg.

Cadillac Clark St Plant (1921-87)- 2680 Clark St (d) except for engineering bldg > Ameritech.

Cadillac Fleetwood Plant aka Fisher #18 (1917-80's)- 261 West End Ave & Fort St. (d) potrions in 1993

Cadillac Plant #2 -1899 Trobbley & Dequindre

Cadillac ???- Riopelle & E. Warren (s)

Callie Motor Co- 6210 2nd Ave.

Carhartt (1902-12) S.W. corner Michigan & 10th Ave

Carter Color- 6051 Haistings (d)

Cartercar (1905) 230 21st & Baker

Carter- 220-230 1st St.

C.H. Blomstrom (1904-08) 75 Clark & River Rd (100-401 Clark St)

C.H. Blomstrom (1906-09)- Leib & Wright St.

Chalmers- Oakland Ave

Chalmers- Jefferson Ave

Chevrolet (1911-13) converted Corcoran Lamp Factory 1145 West Grand

Chevrolet- 1145 W. Grand Blvd

Chrysler- 6501 Harper

Chrysler Motors (HP)- 841 Massachusettes

Chrysler Mack Ave Stamping- 11631 Mack Ave (d)

Commercial (1903-05)- 259-267 Franklin st

Continental Motors- 12801 E. Jefferson

Day Auto Car (1911-13) Trumbull (moved to) 25 E. Milwaukee

Deluxe (1906-09) 75 Clark & River Rd. (100-401 Clark St)

Deluxe- 1000 Woodward

Demotcar Co- 21st St > 1305 Bellevue

Detroit Auto Co (1901-02) 1363 Cass Ave.

Detroit Auto Mfg. Co. (1905-07) 177-179 Larned St.

Detroit Auto Vehicle Co. (1904-07) 65-71 Cathrine St.

Detroit Excelsior Works- S.W. Custer & Richmond

Detroit Electric Car (1919) was Anderson -731 10th St.

Detroit Forge - 9611 Winfield

Detroit Motor Casting- 1067 Beaufait (s)

Dingfelder (1903-04)- 958 Jefferson

Dodge Main- 7900 Joseph Campau Ave (d)

Eclipse MFG (engines) Euclid Ave

EMF - Piquette (s)

EMF (1907) Clay & Dequindre

EMF- also used Wayne & Northern factories

EMF - 75 Clark & River Rd

E.R. Thomas- Woodward Ave

Eureka Mfg. (1905)- 169-171 Sylvester

Fee & Block- 254 Jefferson

Federal Motor Truck- 5780 Federal

Fisher Body- W. FOrt & Livernois

Fisher Body Plant 2 (wood kiln)- St. Antoine (d) 1925

Fisher Body Plant 4- Oakland Ave.

Fisher Body Plant 12 -1961 E. Milwaukee (d)

Fisher Body Plant 18 (aka Cadillac Fleetwood Plant)- West End Ave

Fisher Plant 21>GMC NATP (1919-1990?) - 601 Piquette (s)

Ford (1903) -Mack Ave

Ford - Piquette & Beaubien (s)

Ford Highland Park - Manchester -plant (s) powerhouse (d)

Ford Service- 7310 Woodward

Ford > Hudson - Mack & Beaufait

Gemmer- 6400 Mt. Elliott

Gilmore Motor Works (1904)- 1174 Fort St W.

GMC Saginaw/Detroit -1840 Holbrook

Graham Paige- 6250 Woodward

Graham Paige- 8505 W. Warren

Graham Paige- Mckinstry (?)

Graham Paige (Jewett factory) Warren Ave

Graham Paige (trucks) Meldrum Ave

Graham Paige (trucks) Conant Ave

Graham Paige (trucks) Lynch Rd

Griswald Motor Car (1907) headquarters @ 521 Lincoln, plant shared w/ C.H. Blomstrom- Leib & Wright St.

Hammer-Sommer (1903-04) 573 Gratiot

Hammer-Sommer- 298-300 W. Columbia

Hammer Motor Car (1904) 313-315 Riopelle

Henry Ford Co. > Detroit Auto Co (1901-02) 1363 Cass Ave.

Herreshoff (1908-14) used E.R. Thomas factory- Woodward

Huber Auto Car (1903) -248 Jefferson

Hudson- Mack & Beaufait

Hudson- 12601 E. Jefferson & Conner (d)

Hupp (1915-41) Milwaukee & Mt. Elliott

Hupp (1908-15) Bellvue St.

Hupp (1911-12) became RCH- 115-185 Lycaste & Jefferson Ave

Hupp- 1300-1324 Jefferson & Concord (?)

Hupp Yeats Electric (1911-12) 285 Monroe St. (115-185 Lycaste St)

Hussley Auto & Supply (1902-03)- Beaubien & Trombley

Keeton- 11600-11649 Lawton

Kelsey Hayes Wheel Corp- 3600 Military

Kelvinator- 14250 Plymouth Rd.

King Motor Car Co (1911-23) 1559 West Jefferson (5700-5799 Concord

Kress Line- 657 Lycaste

Kressler-Detroit-

Kritt (1909-10) 2600-2795 Wright St & Lieb (former C.H. Bloomstrom)

Kritt (1911-15) 1608 E. Grand

Leland & Faulkner (1893) > Cadillac Plant #2 -1899 Trobbley & Dequindre

Liberty- Charleviox & Conner

Lincoln- W. Warren & Livernois

Lozier (1910) - 3703 Mack Ave & St Jean

Mack Ave Stamping- 11631 Mack Ave (d)

Marvel (1906-08) 284-290 Rivard & Mullet

Massnick Mfg. Co. (1904-08) Lafayette & Meldrum

Massnick Mfg. Co.-8400-8499 River Ct.

Maxwell-Briscoe (1906)-sales office 243-246 Jefferson

Metzger (1910-12) used Jacob Meire Truck plant- Dequindre & Milwaukee

Metzger > Maxwell > Fisher - 1961 E. Milwaukee (d)

Miller Car Co (1911-14) 1638 Russell St, used Detroit Excelsior Works- S.W. Custer & Richmond

Motor Products- 11801 Mack Ave

Murray Body- 7590 Russell

Olds Motor Works (1900-01)- 1308-1318 Jefferson & Concord (d) fire 1901

Owen (1910-11) N.W. Corner of East Grand

Packard (1904-58)- E.Grand (s) some buildings demolished 2000

Page-Dertoit -West Warren

Page- McKinstry ???

Paragon Motor Car- Rivard & Mullet (sold to Marvel)

Puritan Machine > Deluxe Auto Parts (1911-24) 51-57 10th St & factory 413-415 Layafette Bl.

RCH- 115-185 Lycaste & Jefferson Ave

Regal (1907-18) 201 Piquette & Woodward

Regal- Harper & Haistings

Reliance (1903-07) 87-89 Fort St E.

Rickenbacker- 4815 Cabot (s)

Ritter- 1305 Bellevue

Scripps Motor Car- 5817 Lincoln

Sibley (1910-11) used Detroit Valve Co plant- Solvay & Mackie

Sommers Motor Car (1904-05) 298-300 Columbia St E.

Standard Motor Truck- 1111 Bellevue (s)

Studebaker- Piquette (s)

Templeton-Dubrie (1910) 687 Mack Ave.

Timken Detroit Axle- Fort & Clark

Traveler- 5786-5845 Commonwealth

U.S. Rubber (Uniroyal) 6600 E. Jefferson

Vandyke (1910-12) West Fort & 36th St

Wahl- 3089 E. Grand Blvd

Walker Motor Car (1905-06) 107 Fort St.

Warren Motor Car (1910-13) 1331 Holden (s)

Wayne Auto Car (1904-08) Piquette & Brush

Wheeler Mfg Co. (1903-04) 10-16 Baltimore Ave.

Archived