Sterick Building in Downtown Memphis

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't there some sort of logo on Sterick's spire back in the day?

Maybe someone has an old picture of the Sterick in its former glory (I'm sure we'd all like to see that).

TN-00108-B.jpg

Here's a postcard. First time I've seen it too. I like it!

Wasn't there some sort of logo on Sterick's spire back in the day?

During the '70s and early '80s, the logo of Commerce Union Bank was attached to the east and west crowns of the building. The entire building was painted white at that time. The logos were removed around 1982 or 1983, which was also when the building as sandblasted and painted the current yellowish-brown.

Would be a great mixed-use development. Retail, hotel and some apartments. The only issue I see is that this building is probably not earthquake proof.

no building is earthqauke proof.

although sterick is probably in better shape for an earthqauke than say... the first tennessee bank building. but thats only because of the different building methods of the time.

Apparently, some dudes snuck into the building and actually camped there overnight. There doesn't appear to be much sign of massive deterioration. The worst problems are the cheesy '70s decor and the dead animals.

When I saw this pic of inside the Sterick: http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?picid=101676 my jaw dropped. It looks like the inside of my house, right down to the same-color '70s shag carpeting and wood-paneled walls. :blink:

Here's a website with pictures, taken recently, from INSIDE the Sterick Building:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=22590

Apparently, some dudes snuck into the building and actually camped there overnight. There doesn't appear to be much sign of massive deterioration. The worst problems are the cheesy '70s decor and the dead animals.

As I've stated before, I think the Sterick Builidng would make a fabulous luxury hotel, or a combination hotel/condo. Restored, it would would be one of the city's architectural gems and a real source of pride. There are only a few cities in the U.S. that have a building that tall and that old, and almost none in the South.

Wow, I can't believe that building is abandoned and that website is great, although that dude is a lousy photographer.

It may just be me, but I think the Sterick Building is in no shape to house a department store. I could imagine it possibly housing smaller boutiques, but unless a department store wanted to occupy the lower four or five floors, it seems as though the building is almost too small on each floor for a department store. I still like the idea of Memphis getting a 1000+ room uber luxury hotel along the lines of a Ritz, a W, or something of that nature.

I really don't see a department store coming to downtown Memphis anyway. I think a lot of people get excited about that kind of prospect and get carried away (easy to do because we all want the downtown of yesteryear).

I am also not too sure that the Sterick's immediate neighborhood would be able to support a department store. I could be very wrong though (wouldn't mind it either).

I really don't see a department store coming to downtown Memphis anyway. I think a lot of people get excited about that kind of prospect and get carried away (easy to do because we all want the downtown of yesteryear).

I am also not too sure that the Sterick's immediate neighborhood would be able to support a department store. I could be very wrong though (wouldn't mind it either).

I think you're right. Even with 12,000 or so residents presently living downtown (in the real downtown, not the 24,000 or so the Center City Commission touts in some 6 sq. mile conglomeration), most of whom are fairly high income--SouthMain, South End, South Bluffs, Core, Mud Island--it obviously takes more than 12,000 folks to support a department store.

I think a Target might work downtown, just can't see Target pouring millions into renovating the Sterrick, when they could build elsewhere in the area.

As far as a 1000 room luxury hotel is concerned, most hotel companies aren't building luxury hotels of that size- even in New York. The convention market is another matter entirely. A luxury hotel would be perhaps 500 rooms max., more likely in the 300+ room range. I do think that the Sterick Building would lend itself to this sort of project, but the number of rooms would likely not exceed 400. I'm in the hotel business, so I can definitely tell you that it's difficult to provide 5* service in a hotel above 500 rooms. The ideal number is definitely lower.

I am also skeptical of putting a department store in the Sterick. If such a store were going to be built, I would expect it to be tied in with Peabody Place or the entertainment district where the maximum amount of foot traffic could be expected. Of course, one could point to the pending development of Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid as an exception to this, but Bass Pro is more of a tourist attraction than a department store looking for regular shoppers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like the building next to Sterick was going to become a parking lot but there may be hope instead for its reuse.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A32512

Memphis probably doesn't need more surface parking. Anyone have insight to what the building could become? Also any news on the Sterick? Anyone thing it would have a great observation deck for the city?

Looks like the building next to Sterick was going to become a parking lot but there may be hope instead for its reuse.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A32512

Memphis probably doesn't need more surface parking. Anyone have insight to what the building could become? Also any news on the Sterick? Anyone thing it would have a great observation deck for the city?

The Sterick is a landmark too important for Memphis to allow it to lie fallow for long. It's sad to think that its ownership/lease situation would cloud its future. For a building of its size, I'd agree that a mixed-use project would probably be best. Hotel/apartments or hotel/condo with offices and shops would work. The hotel/apartment combination, though it is more sensible from the standpoint of being useful, might be less attractive to developers than the hotel/condo option. The former might also make it eligible for more funding. Perhaps a company like Historic Restoration Inc. of New Orleans could do it well. They have a strong track record. If they can tackle the King Edward in Jackson, they can do just about anything.

The Sterick is a landmark too important for Memphis to allow it to lie fallow for long. It's sad to think that its ownership/lease situation would cloud its future. For a building of its size, I'd agree that a mixed-use project would probably be best. Hotel/apartments or hotel/condo with offices and shops would work. The hotel/apartment combination, though it is more sensible from the standpoint of being useful, might be less attractive to developers than the hotel/condo option. The former might also make it eligible for more funding. Perhaps a company like Historic Restoration Inc. of New Orleans could do it well. They have a strong track record. If they can tackle the King Edward in Jackson, they can do just about anything.

Archived