Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

Hey, I know this is mostly a buildings forum, but has anyone heard of anymore development at Memphis International Airport (the state's LARGEST and BUSIEST commercial airport)? All I've seen is the major change of the atrium and concession in the various terminals. My brother is a pilot, and through the grapevine he heard that Independence Air AND Jet Blue are going to start service in Memphis within the year. I think it's great that the Northwest saturation will have some competition. There are also rumors of Frontier, AirTran, and Southwest beginning service in Tunica, which would serve as a second airport to the Memphis airport. Tunica is now in the MSA, so it's all good! I only wish that the International area of the "B" concourse would widen...it is extremely too small. I was going to Atlanta and had to wait in the same area as passengers heading to Cancun, Amsterdam (Eat your heart out, Nashvegas or whatever you call yourself), and Montego Bay. Needless to say, it was too crowded! MEM needs some expansion...I still think that a new terminal would be a wonderful item to lure new airlines. Oh, forgot to say...my rumor source has told me that Memphis-Asia and expanded Memphis-Europe service is in the making with the new SkyTeam alliance NWA joined. There was an article of possible AirFrance service.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you may have had the occasional one, but do you have daily service?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Used to have an AA nonstop to London...the problem wasn't filling up coach...we had a lot of demand...the problem was not enough people wanted to fly "business class".

Used to have an AA nonstop to London...the problem wasn't filling up coach...we had a lot of demand...the problem was not enough people wanted to fly "business class".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I learn something new everyday. I think AA still flies a daily London route to Greensboro, NC or Raleigh. Not sure which, though. What airline used to have a hub at Nashville? Isn't it a focus city for Southwest right now?

Nashville used to have daily service to Europe when we were a hub like Memphis.

We aren't a hub anymore but we do maintain our International Status with flights to Montreal and Toronto ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gonna ask you too. What airline had a hub in Nashville? Aren't you guys a focus city for Southwest? That's domestic, though...wouldn't have provided any trans-Atlantic deals.

Neither Memphis nor Nashvile would have/had nonstops to Europe were it not for the fact that they are/were hubs.

When American dehubbed Nashville, the flight to London was gone. If NWA were to dehub Memphis, the flight to Amsterdam would go too.

Neither Memphis nor Nashvile would have/had nonstops to Europe were it not for the fact that they are/were hubs.

When American dehubbed Nashville, the flight to London was gone.  If NWA were to dehub Memphis, the flight to Amsterdam would go too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love Memphis, but I agree with you so much. There was an article in The Commercial Appeal about how both airports are above the service level of what they should be. I think Nashville has 250 flights a day, and the Memphis airport has close to 400 or 500 (according to a MSA guide at Borders). I believe Nashville is closer to the market level than Memphis is.

According to the Metro website, BNA has 408 flights per day (204 in, 204 out?)

From what I understand, Memphis and Nashville are pretty close in domestic flights...what makes Memphis busy is that it is the second busiest freight airport in the United States. Why are Memphis International and Louisville Standiford Field are the busiest freight airports? Because they are centrally located and hubs for large shipping companies (FedEx - Memphis, UPS - Louisville).

According to the Metro website, BNA has 408 flights per day (204 in, 204 out?)

From what I understand, Memphis and Nashville are pretty close in domestic flights...what makes Memphis busy is that it is the second busiest freight airport in the United States.  Why are Memphis International and Louisville Standiford Field are the busiest freight airports? Because they are centrally located and hubs for large shipping companies (FedEx - Memphis, UPS - Louisville).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Memphis is the largest cargo airport in the world. It has been for the past 12 years. Hong Kong came close to overtaking us last year, but we are still numero uno. In 2004, MEM handled 3.55 million metric tons. Hong Kong was aroung the 3 million mark. FedEx is going to take on more land from the Air National Guard (moving to another location on the airfield), so MEM will most likely keep the position with added growth. As far as commercial flights, Memphis has 309 departures each day, so I guess that means we have 618 total flights if you figure it the way the Metro website does.

No one cares about being a hub except those interested in bragging rights. The vast majority of citizens of any city are absolutely, totally disinterested in that. What they want are cheap flights--not the boast that Memphis has a daily to Amsterdam, or 3 nonstops a day to Des Moines, or 2 nonstops a day to Lincoln NE . . . . . . for probably $800 RT.

And I think the business attractiveness of a hub is overrated: Detroit and Cleveland are both hubs. Not to put those cities down--because they are in fact business centers, but I believe they have had problems in attracting new businesses. Many F-500 companies have their own planes or charter services--International Paper in Memphis does. It doesn't use NWA. If a deal is worth doing, businessmen will change planes in Atlanta and go to a nonhub city.

Regarding flights per day out of Memphis---the only info I could find came courtesy of the Helena AR website--562 passenger flights--and I think that figure is off as NWA only has something on the order of 250. Another site lists 387,000 flight "movements" per year at MEM which includes FedEX--works out to 1060 per day.

I haven't been inside the MEM airport since 1993. The corridors were horribly cramped and appeared about as wide as the old Atlanta airport---as in 1979. Since then, I've heard the place is pretty dingy and in need of a serious makeover. I love the outside though. It's an example of classic and well-done early 1960's architecture.

No one cares about being a hub except those interested in bragging rights.  The vast majority of citizens of any city are absolutely, totally disinterested in that.  What they want are cheap flights--not the boast that Memphis has a daily to Amsterdam, or 3 nonstops a day to Des Moines, or 2 nonstops a day to Lincoln NE . . . . . . for probably $800 RT.

And I think the business attractiveness of a hub is overrated:  Detroit and Cleveland are both hubs.  Not to put those cities down--because they are in fact business centers, but I believe they have had problems in attracting new businesses.  Many F-500 companies have their own planes or charter services--International Paper in Memphis does.  It doesn't use NWA.  If a deal is worth doing, businessmen will change planes in Atlanta and go to a nonhub city.

Regarding flights per day out of Memphis---the only info I could find came courtesy of the Helena AR website--562 passenger flights--and I think that figure is off as NWA only has something on the order of 250.    Another site lists 387,000 flight "movements" per year at MEM which includes FedEX--works out to 1060 per day.

I haven't been inside the MEM airport since 1993.  The corridors were horribly cramped and appeared about as wide as the old Atlanta airport---as in 1979.  Since then, I've heard the place is pretty dingy and in need of a serious makeover.  I love the outside though.  It's an example of classic and well-done early 1960's architecture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking the 562 means that that is how many come and go. Yah, MEM is getting some renovations, and as I mentioned before, I hope the corridors are widened. It's getting modernized...slowly.

No one cares about being a hub except those interested in bragging rights.  The vast majority of citizens of any city are absolutely, totally disinterested in that.  What they want are cheap flights--not the boast that Memphis has a daily to Amsterdam, or 3 nonstops a day to Des Moines, or 2 nonstops a day to Lincoln NE . . . . . . for probably $800 RT.

And I think the business attractiveness of a hub is overrated:  Detroit and Cleveland are both hubs.  Not to put those cities down--because they are in fact business centers, but I believe they have had problems in attracting new businesses.  Many F-500 companies have their own planes or charter services--International Paper in Memphis does.  It doesn't use NWA.  If a deal is worth doing, businessmen will change planes in Atlanta and go to a nonhub city.

Regarding flights per day out of Memphis---the only info I could find came courtesy of the Helena AR website--562 passenger flights--and I think that figure is off as NWA only has something on the order of 250.    Another site lists 387,000 flight "movements" per year at MEM which includes FedEX--works out to 1060 per day.

I haven't been inside the MEM airport since 1993.  The corridors were horribly cramped and appeared about as wide as the old Atlanta airport---as in 1979.  Since then, I've heard the place is pretty dingy and in need of a serious makeover.  I love the outside though.  It's an example of classic and well-done early 1960's architecture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. i could care less how many flights a day bna has, i just want them to be cheap.

I'm thinking the 562 means that that is how many come and go. Yah, MEM is getting some renovations, and as I mentioned before, I hope the corridors are widened. It's getting modernized...slowly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think it's pretty much a rule of thumb that those sort of figures are takeoffs and landings combined.

Just checked airfares a few minutes ago for a flight booked today:

Depart--Monday, April 25, Return--Wednesday, April 27

Nashville-Los Angeles--RT $299.00 on Southwest

Memphis-Los Angeles--RT $823.89 on Northwest

Just checked airfares a few minutes ago for a flight booked today:

Depart--Monday, April 25, Return--Wednesday, April 27

Nashville-Los Angeles--RT $299.00 on Southwest

Memphis-Los Angeles--RT  $823.89 on Northwest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to finally say that I disagree with everyone who says that having a hub at an airport makes no impact on the city or is simply insignificant. That is not true. The Memphis International Airport generates quite an amount of money for both the state and the city of Memphis. It doesn't hurt that Northwest brings in a few million passengers each year through the terminals of MEM. It actually benefits us. One person stated that if the business really matters, the people won't mind connecting and that the big corporations have private jets. To the latter, those corporate jets aren't for the whole family. Only about 20 (if that) people get to use the private jet in a corporation. To the former, I find it much more appealing to be able to fly directly from Memphis to Amsterdam and other places. Executives WILL take this into consideration when choosing a site for business. Look at your textbooks and even the occasional Forbes magazine. A major airport and hub is attractive for a company. Cheap fares are what the everyday traveler wants. To a major corporation, it's fuzz.

I have no doubt that a hub brings benefits to a city, mostly in the sense that the city becomes more or less a regional headquarters for that airline. By this I mean that pilots and flight attendants are stationed there. Support services such as some maintenance facilities, fueling operations, and so forth exist as well.

I'm not convinced that hubs attract business. Pittsburgh was a hub until recently. Austin has never been a hub.

Memphis isn't even a top 20 airport in terms of number of people handled so I don't think it really has that much sway in attracting corporations. The majority of the companies that are based out of Memphis weren't attracted there; they began there.

Memphis isn't even a top 20 airport in terms of number of people handled so I don't think it really has that much sway in attracting corporations. The majority of the companies that are based out of Memphis weren't attracted there; they began there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. We are the smallest hub in the United States (don't get perky, Nashville. You aren't considered a hub), but the passenger airline Northwest isn't our only hub. We are also the HQ for a little company known as FedEx (the largest corporation in the state). Helena, AK is a top contender for a new Toyota part, and the Memphis Airport with large service was cited as a factor in the addition for the Toyota plant. Memphis is even becoming a biomedical hub, and Boston Baskin Cancer Clinic is teaming with UT Medical to form an expansive oncology facility. Such expansion is deemed because Memphis is served by rail, road, and air.

Going back to your argument, I'm not saying the Memphis is simply elevated because of one hub. It is graced by two that make it a funtional and lucrative property for the state. As mentioned in a previous post, the airport is the largest cargo airport in the world. Furthermore, the size of Memphis International is larger than Charlotte-Douglas (U.S. Airways' largest hub) based on runway/air traffic. Anyone who says that the hub isn't an attractive to the city has been staring at the sky.

Furthermore, the size of Memphis International is larger than Charlotte-Douglas U.S. Airways' largest hub) based on runway/air traffic. Anyone who says that the hub isn't an attractive to the city has been staring at the sky.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you need to quit bashing Nashville.

Now, to the point--I don't know where you get your facts from, but in terms of total aircraft movements--take-offs and landings--or as you put it "runway/air traffic", Charlotte had a total of 468,464 in 2004 and Memphis had 387,968. This includes cargo and passenger flights. Charlotte was 17th in the world and Memphis was 27th. http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/display/ma...-5-54-57_9_25__

And while Charlotte is significantly larger population-wise than Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, the Raleigh airport had higher O&D traffic than Charlotte. Why? Because North Carolinians avoid Charlotte due to US Airways stranglehold on the city, and drive to RDU to hop on----Southwest Airlines. I would bet that no more than 25% of Charlotte's air passengers originate in Charlotte--the rest are changing planes, same as Memphis which, BTW, is right at the bottom with Charlotte for the lowest O&D among all airline hubs.

Archived