Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

what do you have against nashville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have anything against Nashville except those from the city who constantly bash Memphis. When I came across this forum last week, I scanned it with a quick notion that there are numerous Nashville people who are trying to make it seem as though their city is so lofty above Memphis. I enjoy all parts of Tennessee as you have stated in previous posts, but I do not like these people who are making it out as though Nashville is the great jewel of Tennessee. It's not. I'll be the first to say that Memphis is a LONG way from being up to par with development and just overall atmosphere. To answer your question, I am against those who say Memphis is so far behind Nashville. It's not the case. Call me hypocritical or whatever you may. This is how I stand.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you need to quit bashing Nashville.

Now, to the point--I don't know where you get your facts from, but in terms of total aircraft movements--take-offs and landings--or as you put it "runway/air traffic", Charlotte had a total of 468,464 in 2004 and Memphis had 387,968.  This includes cargo and passenger flights.  Charlotte was 17th in the world and Memphis was 27th.  http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/display/ma...-5-54-57_9_25__

And while Charlotte is significantly larger population-wise than Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, the Raleigh airport had higher O&D traffic than Charlotte.  Why?  Because North Carolinians avoid Charlotte due to US Airways stranglehold on the city, and drive to RDU to hop on----Southwest Airlines.  I would bet that no more than 25% of Charlotte's air passengers originate in Charlotte--the rest are changing planes, same as Memphis which, BTW, is right at the bottom with Charlotte for the lowest O&D among all airline hubs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry! Quoting the pilot brother from Charlotte. Misinformation: Memphis has more runways and a higher CARGO flight traffic. Pardon my blunder. Bad me! Yes, I have stated in one of my replies to the thread that Memphis is the SMALLEST commercial airline hub in the United States. Yes, for my Nashville bash, see my other reply.

I don't have anything against Nashville except those from the city who constantly bash Memphis. When I came across this forum last week, I scanned it with a quick notion that there are numerous Nashville people who are trying to make it seem as though their city is so lofty above Memphis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There might be some Nashville posters who do that, but not many. But sometimes your posts seem to be inflammatory.

Now, we can all bash Knoxville, right? j/k :D

Sorry! Quoting the pilot brother from Charlotte. Misinformation: Memphis has more runways and a higher CARGO flight traffic. Pardon my blunder. Bad me! Yes, I have stated in one of my replies to the thread that Memphis is the SMALLEST commercial airline hub in the United States. Yes, for my Nashville bash, see my other reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All right. I understand.

There might be some Nashville posters who do that, but not many.  But sometimes your posts seem to be inflammatory.

Now, we can all bash Knoxville, right?  j/k  :D

All right.  I understand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha...is anyone from Knoxville even part of the forum? Anyway, I'll keep the comments positive!

I think the operative word is "had". You no longer "have" them, do you? In the next year MEM will "have" daily flights to Amsterdam, Paris and an undetermined Asian city, possibly Tokyo. "Having" international flights is a big part of "being" a world-class city, like Memphis "is." Notice, all of the phrases concerning Memphis are present tense. No past tense...

Eat your heart out, Nashvegas or whatever you call yourself

Yeah...we've never had flights to Europe or anything like that before...yeah. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, Memphis is THE world's busiest cargo airport and has been for over 10 years. Yes, part of that is because FedEx is here, but the other part is because Memphis is "America's Distribution Center" with major distribution operations from hundreds of world-wide companies.

Second, cargo and passenger counts are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT things. They do not contribute to one another. And Memphis is a MUCH busier passenger airport than BNA. It's NWA's third hub, so of course it's busier.

Get your facts straight...

According to the Metro website, BNA has 408 flights per day (204 in, 204 out?)

From what I understand, Memphis and Nashville are pretty close in domestic flights...what makes Memphis busy is that it is the second busiest freight airport in the United States.  Why are Memphis International and Louisville Standiford Field are the busiest freight airports? Because they are centrally located and hubs for large shipping companies (FedEx - Memphis, UPS - Louisville).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the operative word is "had". You no longer "have" them, do you? In the next year MEM will "have" daily flights to Amsterdam, Paris and an undetermined Asian city, possibly Tokyo. "Having" international flights is a big part of "being" a world-class city, like Memphis "is." Notice, all of the phrases concerning Memphis are present tense. No past tense...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

memphis troll :rolleyes:

How about this...International Paper, a F500 company, was recruited here. It started in Purchase, NY. ServiceMaster, a F500 company, was recruited here. It started in Downer's Grove, IL. Hundreds of companies are recruited here because of low cost of living, an International, hub airport and the fact that Memphis is a MAJOR distribution center and is a major center for rail, air and barge traffic. Yes, FedEx and AutoZone started here, but using the word "majority" is not accurate.

Memphis isn't even a top 20 airport in terms of number of people handled so I don't think it really has that much sway in attracting corporations. The majority of the companies that are based out of Memphis weren't attracted there; they began there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And why are you online posting when you are drunk??? College is fun though.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because all the parties got busted...what else is there to do at 2 am??? Btw, I need to stay out of trouble, so I try not to wander around drunk. <_<

First of all, Memphis is THE world's busiest cargo airport and has been for over 10 years. Yes, part of that is because FedEx is here, but the other part is because Memphis is "America's Distribution Center" with major distribution operations from hundreds of world-wide companies.

Second, cargo and passenger counts are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT things. They do not contribute to one another. And Memphis is a MUCH busier passenger airport than BNA. It's NWA's third hub, so of course it's busier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are my new best friend. I may have completely misunderstood your reply, but Memphis already has daily Amsterdam service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what do you mean by busiest? as in most flights or most tonnage? because anchorage actually has more tonnage than memphis. here is the latest i could find. faa

what do you mean by busiest? as in most flights or most tonnage? because anchorage actually has more tonnage than memphis. here is the latest i could find. faa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The FAA list is compiled using "landed weight". Anchorage is the major refueling stop for freighters between the US and Asia. I presume when an airliner refuels there, whatever tonnage carried in is counted as "landed weight".

The only site I've seen which ranks cargo airports is the Airports Council International which counts total cargo as "loaded freight plus unloaded freight", and which has had Memphis no. 1 in that category for years.

1 MEMPHIS, TN (MEM) 3 554 577 4.8

2 HONG KONG, CN (HKG) 3 132 449 15.7

3 TOKYO, JP (NRT) 2 373 133 10.1

4 ANCHORAGE, AK (ANC) 2 372 903 13.1

5 SEOUL, KR (ICN) 2 133 443 15.8

6 LOS ANGELES, CA (LAX) 1 902 547 5.3

7 FRANKFURT, DE (FRA) 1 839 084 11.4

8 SINGAPORE, SG (SIN) 1 795 646 10.0

9 MIAMI, FL (MIA) 1 778 897 8.6

10 LOUISVILLE, KY (SDF) 1 739 029 7.5

11 TAIPEI, TW (TPE) 1 701 020 13.4

12 NEW YORK, NY (JFK) 1 683 073 2.7

13 CHICAGO, IL (ORD) 1 681 835 11.6

14 SHANGHAI, CN (PVG) 1 642 062 38.1

15 PARIS, FR (CDG) 1 637 610 9.4

16 AMSTERDAM, NL (AMS) 1 467 205 8.4

17 LONDON, GB (LHR) 1 412 031 8.6

18 DUBAI, AE (DXB) 1 169 256 22.2

19 BANGKOK, TH (BKK) 1 058 145 11.3

20 INDIANAPOLIS, IN (IND) 1 000 262 9.3

21 NEWARK, NJ (EWR) 920 104 5.0

22 OSAKA, JP (KIX) 886 857 11.8

23 ATLANTA, GA (ATL) 864 650 7.9

24 TOKYO, JP (HND) 773 918 7.2

25 DALLAS/FT WORTH AIRPORT, TX (DFW) 754 764 12.2

26 LUXEMBOURG, LU (LUX) 712 954 8.5

27 OAKLAND, CA (OAK) 676 210 9.1

28 BEIJING, CN (PEK) 668 654 1.0

29 KUALA LUMPUR, MY KUL) 664 237 12.6

30 BRUSSELS, BE (BRU) 659 090 9.1

ACI Traffic Data: World airports ranking by total cargo - 2004

Airports participating in the ACI monthly traffic statistics collection.

Total Cargo: loaded + unloaded freight + mail in metric tonnes.

Memphis should benefit from a US Airways-America West merger, for America West already offers Memphis-Phoenix service. If this were to continue, it would simply amount to expanded US Air service from MEM. I don't know if America West serves BNA, but if it does, it should also benefit from such a merger!

Memphis should benefit from a US Airways-America West merger, for America West already offers Memphis-Phoenix service. If this were to continue, it would simply amount to expanded US Air service from MEM. I don't know if America West serves BNA, but if it does, it should also benefit from such a merger!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't believe bna has a service from america west. you're right, memphis will benefit from a merger. more flights to more places are always a good thing. well 99.9% of the time. haha.

i don't believe bna has a service from america west. you're right, memphis will benefit from a merger. more flights to more places are always a good thing. well 99.9% of the time. haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm sure all US Airways cities will get expanded service to some level, for the airline is supposed to be changing to a Southwest-esque theme. Less hub-and-spoke, supposedly.

Archived