Stuff to do around Charlotte that doesn't cost

skysdalimit

Ok, well, to make a long story short I got a girlfriend over the weekend. I realize that it is "gentlemanly" to pay for her crap, even though she is richer that I am, and I've taken her out to the movies, dinner several times, etc. I'm actually taking her to the Bobcats season finale tommorrow night. (Can you say cheap seats?) But I realize also that my measly soccer referee salary won't pay for jackschittt, and my parents won't let me bug any money off of them. So, therefore, I need a solution to my problem. What to do when young and dirt poor in Charlotte? Other than making out 24-7 and window shopping.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!! And please post quickly!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, well, to make a long story short I got a girlfriend over the weekend.  I realize that it is "gentlemanly" to pay for her crap, even though she is richer that I am, and I've taken her out to the movies, dinner several times, etc.  I'm actually taking her to the Bobcats season finale tommorrow night. (Can you say cheap seats?)  But I realize also that my measly soccer referee salary won't pay for jackschittt, and my parents won't let me bug any money off of them.  So, therefore, I need a solution to my problem.  What to do when young and dirt poor in Charlotte?  Other than making out 24-7 and window shopping.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!  And please post quickly!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time to apply for a credit card.......you have the rest of your life to pay it off.

You can always strech your dollar for long term events.......picnic in the park is relatively cheap and can last most of the day. If you like planes, and she's not totally bored with them, you can always go lay out at the public access right behind the runway and watch the planes land right over your head.

Anything outdoors related is cheap.......hiking at one of the state parks, or for a few dollars you can rent a canoe at Cane Creek Park.

There is also people watching at a decent coffee house, like Smelly Cat up in NoDa or the one on Camden in South End. You could ride the trolley for $1 each.

Or just do what I used to do and make out in houses under construction out in the burbs late at night........ :wub::thumbsup::sick:

Oooo yes great ideas atlrvr. Well, it might be a bit uncomfortable under those rafters, I prefer her nice lovely and comfortable couch. Mmmm, I get happy just thinking about it.

Ahem, cough cough, moving on, those are some very good suggestions, though I doubt my dad would let me get a credit card - I don't turn 17 until June. So yeah, I'm a young'un.

Time to apply for a credit card.......you have the rest of your life to pay it off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you're joking. If not, that's the worst advice I've ever heard.

My philosophy is to NEVER carry over any balance on my credit card from month to month. That way I have my full credit line available in the case of a dire emergency. Barring that, I never have to pay any interest, either. I keep constant track of how much money I have in my bank account, and never charge more than that.

Bowling is actually surprisingly expensive.  I mean, relatively speaking, 2 games can run you $12 for the 2 of us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buy a pair of bowling shoes if you don't have 'em already. It's a lifelong investment. At $4 per shoe rental, you pay the $40 back after you've bowled 10 times. Anything after that is gravy.

See if you can get your GF to buy her own pair, haha.

It was even better when K-mart sold bowling shoes for $24/pair (only a couple years ago) but those days are gone with the wind.

I'd say a Knights game if you feel like making the drive. Theres the 1.50 movies in Matthews. In May there is speedstreet. Usually there are a few decent bands, but its free. BTW the only ones I've heard scheduled for this year so far are Boys 2 Men, 3 Doors Down, 38 Special. I'm sure there will be some more scheduled.

I was joking.....kinda :unsure:

There is Ray's splash planet downtown which is pretty cheap, or any public pool, or any place that you can fake belonging like an apartment complex. Also, if one of you has a dog, there a few dog parks around town that are fun to just hang out while your dog goes nuts.

Or you can pretend that ya'll are married and have her give you chores to do all day while she follows you around to make sure you're not doing anything half-a$$ed. B)

Is the airport public viewing area still open? I thought I'd heard they closed it but they may have just been post 9/11 reaction and later reopened. And hey, what trip to the airport didn't end up in a few kisses ?

I'd definitely go for the hiking or canoeing. It's easy, cheap, and shows you put some thought into it. I wouldn't say $12 is expensive, but if you're on a budget, you're on a budget. You might entertain the idea of ice skating too. Guys may think it's corny, but girls like it. There's a rink in Pineville and if you go during DAYLIGHT, you could possibly go to Eastland. Oh yeah, did I mention to go during DAYLIGHT ? Also check out a rollerskating rink. Probably labeled corny these days, but still a good, fun, cheap time.

The uptown Mint Museum is free at lunchtime on Tuesdays. Its good for an hour or so of walking around during the day. The park up at Lake Norman (Jetton?) has these nifty double bicycle things you can rent for a couple of bucks and ride around the park on. You can get a day fishing license for like, $1. And, not to sound completely lame, you could watch for those sorts of activities like Hands on Charlotte day or spend a Saturday morning working on a Habitat House. There's also panning for gold at the Reedy Creek mine (and I think there is also a gem mine nearby too). Or, get some cheap art supplies like a pad of paper and some charcoal and go sit at the park and draw pictures of trees. Or, hang out in one of the coffee shops and play Uno or chess. I guess most of these have turned out to be daytime ideas. It's harder to think of free evening-type dates other than renting movies! There are some things uptown like Live after Five type things (I think you only need to be 21 to get a wristband, but anyone can go and listen to the bands). There are also the Pops in the Park concerts that should start in SouthPark soon. You grab some snacks from the grocery store and bring a blanket and camp out and listen to music. Also - get your friends to throw some parties, preferably unsupervised ones. :rolleyes:

Oooo yes great ideas atlrvr.  Well, it might be a bit uncomfortable under those rafters, I prefer her nice lovely and comfortable couch.  Mmmm, I get happy just thinking about it.

Ahem, cough cough, moving on, those are some very good suggestions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok atlrvr, we all know skysdalimit has taken the "wait unitl marriage pledge". Don't try and push the evils of the flesh. ;)

Archived