Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigitalSky

Ingles: A Changing Business

21 posts in this topic

I think Ingles will do okay in the long run. They're able to keep good business in places no major chain would tread.

I've always liked Ingles. Too bad we don't have them in the Charlotte area. I'd like to see the Piggly Wiggly too.

I've always liked Ingles.  Too bad we don't have them in the Charlotte area.  I'd like to see the Piggly Wiggly too.

I think the closest one is in Shelby?

I think the closest one is in Shelby?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes. There's actually one in Bessemer City

Ingles' newest store design is substantially less "funky" than the old stores used to be

Up until the early 90s, Ingles stores had a very "funky" logo and the bright orange-and-yellow sheet metal facades. They stood out, sure enough. But as time progressed, that look became more and more dated to the point of being just plain tacky. Then, they came up with the idea of a "Super Ingles", for which I believe the store on Merrimon Avenue in Asheville (Store #2; #1 closed a long time ago) was the prototype. That was the grocery store that was closest to my home growing up, so it was where we always shopped.

I remember that after the early 90s update, the store included a pharmacy, video rental, a cafe, and a florist. The concept was fresh: on the outside there were earthy tones, a modernized logo, and stucco facades; in the inside things were brightly lit, always clean, and always modern. They've been tweaking things here and there to perfect the image since the Merrimon Avenue store was remodeled back in the early 90s, but the general concept has remained the same. It's a small touch but I believe they're a bit stricter with their employee dress code than Harris Teeter or Food Lion, and it really makes a difference in the atmosphere. None of that trendy, slightly dimmed "warehousey" feel you find in the newest Krogers or Teeters. The inside is bright, well layed out, and just pleasant overall.

Their prices have stayed competitive to boot, with the exception of Wal Mart. Food Lion can be dirty and just unpleasant, but yet their prices really aren't any lower.

Since I moved to Raleigh I've gone to a bunch of different kinds of grocery stores but every time I go back to the Ingles on Merrimon Ave. in Asheville I realize that "Yeah, this really is better."

I agree completely at how much of a better job that local grocers do at serving a market. FoodLion was much better when it was locally owned as Food Town, and only had stores in NC.

I'm glad that they are fairing better than Winn-Dixie right now

I know Ingles is the sole reason Harris Teeter has only one store in Asheville

I know Ingles is the sole reason Harris Teeter has only one store in Asheville

Ingles dominates Westen N.C., to be sure.

Up until the early 90s, Ingles stores had a very "funky" logo and the bright orange-and-yellow sheet metal facades. They stood out, sure enough. But as time progressed, that look became more and more dated to the point of being just plain tacky.

Our Ingles here in Newland, NC received the modernization (and an expansion) a few years ago. The new look is very nice. The front facade of the store has a lot of glasswork and the inside is a nice cream color with green trim. It also has a video store, food court, and bakery.

I easily prefer it over the two nearby Lowe's Foods stores...and by a long shot over the local Food Lion (YUCK!).

In Boone, Ingles took over an old Winn-Dixie location.

Is Ingles supposed to be pronounced "Ingles" as in "shingles" or "ingles" (een-glays) as in the Spanish word for English?

Our Ingles here in Newland, NC received the modernization (and an expansion) a few years ago. The new look is very nice. The front facade of the store has a lot of glasswork and the inside is a nice cream color with green trim. It also has a video store, food court, and bakery.

I easily prefer it over the two nearby Lowe's Foods stores...and by a long shot over the local Food Lion (YUCK!).

In Boone, Ingles took over an old Winn-Dixie location.

That's right they did. I think it's their only store in Boone now

Is Ingles supposed to be pronounced "Ingles" as in "shingles" or "ingles" (een-glays) as in the Spanish word for English?

Rhymes with shingles

Ingles = English in Spanish

When I first saw their stores, I in fact assumed they were some kind of Latino marketplace.

Ingles = English in Spanish

I figured, since there was no apostrophe between the 'e' and the 's'. The post two above this says it rhymes with shingles though. Can we get an definite answer?

I dug it up myself. Cantnot was right (rhymes with shingles), and here's why: LINK

Besides, can you really picture people in South Carolina and Tennessee saying, "Thank you for shopping at een-glays"?

I get the impression that Ingles is just holding on. I know I've visited some towns with empty storefronts. I'm pretty sure their total number of shopping centers has declined in the last several years. Moodys rates their stock a D. (Very large dividend payments which must get expensive to maintain.)

I get the impression that Ingles is just holding on. I know I've visited some towns with empty storefronts. I'm pretty sure their total number of shopping centers has declined in the last several years. Moodys rates their stock a D. (Very large dividend payments which must get expensive to maintain.)

I think they're strong in Asheville and a few mountain communites, but competiton from Super Wal-Mart is making it harder for them to hold on

Up until the early 90s, Ingles stores had a very "funky" logo and the bright orange-and-yellow sheet metal facades. They stood out, sure enough. But as time progressed, that look became more and more dated to the point of being just plain tacky. Then, they came up with the idea of a "Super Ingles", for which I believe the store on Merrimon Avenue in Asheville (Store #2; #1 closed a long time ago) was the prototype. That was the grocery store that was closest to my home growing up, so it was where we always shopped.

I remember that after the early 90s update, the store included a pharmacy, video rental, a cafe, and a florist. The concept was fresh: on the outside there were earthy tones, a modernized logo, and stucco facades; in the inside things were brightly lit, always clean, and always modern. They've been tweaking things here and there to perfect the image since the Merrimon Avenue store was remodeled back in the early 90s, but the general concept has remained the same. It's a small touch but I believe they're a bit stricter with their employee dress code than Harris Teeter or Food Lion, and it really makes a difference in the atmosphere. None of that trendy, slightly dimmed "warehousey" feel you find in the newest Krogers or Teeters. The inside is bright, well layed out, and just pleasant overall.

Their prices have stayed competitive to boot, with the exception of Wal Mart. Food Lion can be dirty and just unpleasant, but yet their prices really aren't any lower.

Since I moved to Raleigh I've gone to a bunch of different kinds of grocery stores but every time I go back to the Ingles on Merrimon Ave. in Asheville I realize that "Yeah, this really is better."