Cadillac Square Park

rbdetsport

What is going on with the Campus Martius Park expansion into Cadillac Square. When you look at it, the trucks have been in the same place for months. Is the project stalled? I am hoping the construction is finished and the park is open soon. It will really create the beautiful streets the city needs.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I swear, that whole area around CMart is so full of mystery.  We still don't know what the Visteon tower is going to look like.  Who knows what Cadillac square is going to look like.  And who will be up on the mural?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. Why can't someone tell us these things? All the news is now is murder on the west side, murder in Holly. O yea and there is traffic on Telegraph, DUH!

I know. Why can't someone tell us these things? All the news is now is murder on the west side, murder in Holly. O yea and there is traffic on Telegraph, DUH!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why I have not watched TV in 3 months....

• 2 weeks later...

I think the combination of these two parks will create a great urban space for Detroit. I hope that housing continues to sprout up in this area. It looks as though too that in the future another tower will be built across from Cadillac Tower. I believe right now that space is a parking lot.

The plan looks like it wil lbe nice. It will be cool when those trees actually get to be that large! I was looking through a book I own on Detroit's past and present. There actually used to be a building that seems to have served as a market or maybe something closely related in Cadillac square. But this was ages ago, as in the late 1800's.

I entirely forgot about that space across from the Cadillac. It would be nice to see a highrise there as well.

Cadillac Square was home to the city's market for many years. However, as the city grew, they decided to move it. So the city created two marketplaces, Eastern Market and Western Market. Western Market was ultimately demolished, but Eastern Market still survives today.

I can't confirm anything about the fountain. I do know that 1001 Woodward is 338 feet tall, so the full height of the fountain should be a bit less than 1/3 the height of it. The fountain supposedly shoots out the water at different heights depending on the weather conditions, so if it is really windy it won't soak everything in sight.

I witnessed the 100 ft last fall when the fountain was turned on for testing. I have not yet seen it reach that high this season. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. And have the waterwalls come on yet? That, I don't understand...ARG...

I ate lunch there on Tuesday, and there was a jazz perfomance. It was only abuot 50 degrees out and windy, so the crowd was not too large.

The music needs to be a bit louder to drown out the buses, cars, etc. But it was a great way to spend the lunch break.

Archived