Cadillac Square Park

rbdetsport

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the Campus Martius Webcam. They took down those ugly black fences around the park. Looks like there starting to work on it so they can get grass down by the MLB All-Star Game like they said they were going to do. And look at the activity at Kennedy Block.

The images of the park on the campus martius park website show that the park will have a paved plaza of sorts as well as the Bagley Fountain. Will the fountain be a drinking fountain once again, or will it just be decorative? Im not sure if the whole thing will be done by All Star game but im pretty sure they want to have at least the grass in. I think it will be a great complement to Campus Martius Park.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks as though they are just going to leave it as grass for the time being. They probably wanted it to look somewhat nice for the all star game or they dont have the funding at the moment for the final vision or maybe even both.

I think its probably from the Comcast movies being played there on consequtive nights. I noticed Sat when they were setting it up that they let a hose run for a long time on the lawn and then covered it up with a tarp. I guess that might have led to the browing of the grass.

The sod laid at C. Square Park looked very nice, and I thought nothing about walking across it. Half way across I slipped on the not-yet rooted grass and ended up walking back to the car with a wet, brown bottom. I think the Merrill Fountain (currently at palmer park) would look better than the Bagley Fountain in CSP.

I don't know if they should move the fountain from Palmer Park, I think they should maybe concentrate on returning Palmer Park to it's full glory. As well as beefing the asthetics of that area. There are a lot of wonderful homes over there without the benefit of fine surroundings. I've seen some of the old shots of Palmer Park through the Wayne State Archives and from what I could tell it was wonderful.

WS

Merrill fountain might not fit the look they are going for with Cadillac Square park. The proposed park is layed out nicely with lots of grass and im afraid adding the Merrill Fountian right there would change that. Plus I dont think you would want the Woodward Fountain and Merrill fountain competing against each other. There are plenty of other places in the city that the Merrill fountain can be moved to. Campus Martius is fine IMO the way they have it right now.

While we're at it, why not put a fountain in every public place. Considering that our most prized feature is our river, water could easily be a centerpoint of the downtown. Considering there is a water feature at Harmonie Park (small as it is), Water Feature at Comerica, Woodward fountain at CMP, and Dodge Fountain at Hart Plaza. why not put the Bagley on Washington, the Merrill Fountain back in a more public place where it belongs, and maybe 1 or 2 other fountains wherever it would be feasible.

If we can put "artistic" cars on every streetcorner, why not add a perminant touch of class.

There more to this city than downtown. The Merrill Fountain has been in Palmer for more than 70 years should restored as centerpiece of Palmer Park that it use to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with your comment about there being more to the city...I do fear however that the condition of the majority of the city is far to severe for even the most ambitious developers to take interest in...at least until there is more interest in neighborhood housing, not just the downtown/midtown areas.

There more to this city than downtown. The Merrill Fountain has been in Palmer for more than 70 years should restored as centerpiece of Palmer Park that it use to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it stays that fine too. They key to Detroit's turnaround though starts downtown. Once downtown fills up and becomes world class again then it will trickle out.

I agree with you Zissou. As downtown becomes dominant and attracts developers, more people, and more tourism, people will notice the great things of living in Detroit so more and more people will come to Detroit. As the transportation options become better going to the many neighborhoods of Detroit, the people will have easy ways to get downtown and they will live in the neighboorhoods besides Midtown and Downtown.

I agree with you Zissou. As downtown becomes dominant and attracts developers, more people, and more tourism, people will notice the great things of living in Detroit so more and more people will come to Detroit. As the transportation options become better going to the many neighborhoods of Detroit, the people will have easy ways to get downtown and they will live in the neighboorhoods besides Midtown and Downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Transportation--there is a topic worthy of its own thread...maybe even it's own site. That is one thing that I am very concerned about, as a soon to be resident of the city.

Archived