Cadillac Square Park

rbdetsport

But at the same time even if we develop a wonderful downtown we can't let our neighborhoods continue to deteriorate beyond repair. There are various areas that once served as major retail destinations in this city besides downtown. The longtime residents of Detroit deserve an opportunity to shop in--or at least close to--their own neighborhoods just like anyone in any other city.

And Palmer Park is a splendid area which should be taken better care of. The fountain served an aesthetic purpose to an area once surrounded by class. While that area near Woodward and Seven mile isn't as bad as it could be there are various bad influences that also contribute to a disturbing lack of newer housing (are they beginning those shops at the State Fair? I saw a lot of land being cleared and leveled with bulldozers and it looks like they're starting to construct something there) the most notable being the appalling state of Highland Park to the south.

While Livernois is making some strides at a comeback, there needs to be a lot more done.

WS

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Wordsmith that we cant neglect the neighborhoods but what will draw people to Detroit is its urban core. I believe that several experts from Wayne State studied the issue and they said that Detroit needs to focus on its downtown to lure people back to the city.

I suspected that that was what it was, thank you.  My only complaint is that from what I heard last, they haven't attracted any upscale stores.  They should really, really try hard to make sure this doesn't become just another strip mall.

WS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, regardless, it won't be a strip mall because of its design. If they do get upscale clients, well that's good; but, if they don't, I don't see how it's any less beneficial.

Well, regardless, it won't be a strip mall because of its design. If they do get upscale clients, well that's good; but, if they don't, I don't see how it's any less beneficial.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Family Dollar is not beneficial nor in my opinion would it be a proper use of that area. The potential to finally draw something into the city shouldn't be wasted. It's proximity to the suburbs might also help in its ability to attract more upscale tenants.

WS

Family Dollar is not beneficial nor in my opinion would it be a proper use of that area.  The potential to finally draw something into the city shouldn't be wasted.  It's proximity to the suburbs might also help in its ability to attract more upscale tenants.

WS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand where you're coming from. But upscale tenants won't jump to the occassion. I don't wanna see liquor stores or anything. But maybe if we get some nice mom & pop shops first to test the waters. If they attract upscale tenants I have noooo problem with that whatsoever. I'm just to look at the situation more realistically.

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere about when construction on Cadillac Square was supposed to commence, but I don't remember. It will be nice to have the Bagley Fountain back downtown.

Statedude,

Have fun with the pigeons in the GAR Building. :lol: And be careful about where you step...I know a guy who fell through the floor in there not too long ago. It is a very interesting building....hopefully it will work out for your organization. I know of at least two others interested in the building who have already talked to the city about putting a club in the GAR, but I don't know if either of those plans ever got anywhere. From what I was told back in early June, the city was going to offer an RFP on the building soon, although here it is three months later and I still haven't heard anything.

If I understand correctly, the club idea was shot down because of some veterans groups putting pressure on the city to prevent a bar or similar unit to go in there. It's historic status had something to do with this, I'm still learning about all the legal crap involved with the business of buying buildings- very historic ones at that.

As for CSP, I have heard recently that ground will break in september, but I have not even seen a plan for the site other than the "future" plan on the CMP website. If it looks anything like that plan, then I will be very impressed! Is this one being paid for by Detroit 300 also?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived