GREENVILLE POTENTIAL?

MAJIKMAN

I'm new at this, so bear with me. I have been reading alot of the post on this site

and have noticed something. When people compare city, no I'm not going to say

compare. When they discuss the differences between places like Greenville and lets say Columbia. I sometime hear about the strenghts and weaknesses of these particular places. I do hear some valid points on both sides of the issue. We, I do live in Greenville, have Main St. and the Westend. I can't even count that because it is part of Main St. But there is Columbia whose weakest link there is their Main St. and I think they have recognized that. So they moved on to foster other areas in their community to thrive, like five points.

This is just unique to just Columbia. Its happenned and happenning in places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Orlando, Tampa. And as far away Seattle and Austin TX. And Austin was named one of the coolest cities in the U.S.

But my question is. What do you see?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Greenville, yes. There are other areas that are doing well. Other than Main Street and West End, there's Augusta Road that is a having a mini building boom of retail and restaurants, North Main for residential (and some retail is creeping in: Horizon music and Bohemian Cafe), and Laurens Road which continues to develop into a more restaurant/shop/club oriented midtown area (Earshot, Half Moon Outfitters, India Palace, 33 Liberty, The Open Book, The Great Escape, a couple of Asian markets, GV's only gay store, Garner Health Market, The Castle, etc).

Many other districts are doing great with residential around downtown (Overbrook, Park Avenue, Hampton Pinckney, Pettigru).

In Greenville, yes.  There are other areas that are doing well.  Other than Main Street and West End, there's Augusta Road that is a having a mini building boom of retail and restaurants, North Main for residential (and some retail is creeping in: Horizon music and Bohemian Cafe), and Laurens Road which continues to develop into a more restaurant/shop/club oriented midtown area (Earshot, Half Moon Outfitters, India Palace, 33 Liberty, The Open Book, The Great Escape, a couple of Asian markets, GV's only gay store, Garner Health Market, The Castle, etc). 

Many other districts are doing great with residential around downtown (Overbrook, Park Avenue, Hampton Pinckney, Pettigru).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never would have thought of Laurens Rd. as a midtown area.

I never would have thought of Laurens Rd. as a midtown area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only from I-385 to Pleasantburg. Past that it's too suburban. But from I-385 to Pleasantburg, most of the buildings are from the 50"s, close to the road, close together, it has enough unique shopping and sprinkling of restaurants to grow into a true midtown. Needs a lot of nurturing, but seems to have a large amount of potential.

I guess what I'm trying to say is. If you had someone who had never been to Greenville what here to do or see. What could you tell them? You know other than the Downtown and the Malls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would tell them about the many bars and clubs in the area. Would tell them about the parks, museums, theatres, and art in the area just to name a few.

Archived