485 in North Charlotte

treason

All of the people in south Charlotte are complaining of the traffic on 485 (not enough lanes). They got 485 first because of the movers and shakers in CLT live in that area and wanted it there first. Now when it's time for north CLT to start on its leg (from I-77 to I-85) and get its share, south CLT wants funding diverted from northern leg of 485 to southern 485 for widening. What a rip! People in north Charlotte have been waiting for years for the development of the northern leg of 485.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be a tragedy for money to be diverted from completing the north leg of I-485 to first widen the south portion. People on the north side of town should very well be screaming bloody murder if that does happen. Just doesn't seem fair that the south part of town always seems to get its way.

True, but it will also soon have LRT whilst its anyone's guess as to when the Northern suburbs will have any sort of public transit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on funding approval by the Federal government, sometime in the 2008-2010 timeframe.

If you want to voice your opinion on the I-485 issue, then come to the public meeting on May 18 at Cornelius Community Hall, 21445 Catawba Ave at 2pm. There you will be able to voice your concerns to the state.

Also, you may want to address the MPO, which will be taking up this topic in May:

MUMPO contact

Mecklenburg-Union Metropolitan Planning Organization

600 East Fourth Street (8th Floor)

Charlotte NC, 28202-2853

(704) 336-2205

Archived