Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tocoto

Detroit in its heyday

10 posts in this topic

I have seen many pictures of modern Detroit, and always wondered what used to fill those vacant lots. I came across this picture and was amazed.

Anyone have old pictures of other cities in the 20's, 30's, and 40's?

detroitold2.jpg

More from Detroit....

olddetroit8.jpg

olddetroit7.jpg

olddetroit12.jpg

Grand Circus Park

olddetroit10-gdcircuspk.jpg

olddetroit9-gdcircuspk.jpg

Washington Boulevard

olddetroit11-washington.jpg

Campus Martius

olddetroit1-cmart.jpg

olddetroit3-cmart.jpg

olddetroit6-cmart.jpg

Cadillac Square

olddetroit5-cadillacsq.jpg

Kern Block

olddetroit4kernblock.jpg

Woodward Avenue

olddetroit2-woodward.jpg

Thanks for all the great pictures of Detroit. It was truly a great city with amazing architecture. I would like to see it make a big comeback and it seems like that may be beginning to happen.

Woah! Looks like it was once a really happening place. Too bad it didn't stay like that and become something like Chicago.

Detroit used to be right behind Chicago. In fact, we were set to get an 81 story skyscraper! It's too bad they had to scale it back because of the Depression :(. The Depression couldn't have come at a worse time as far as skyscrapers...we were at the heght of the huge building boom that gave us all the old skyscrapers we have today.

Great pics. Normally I wouldn't intrude on your thread by posting pics of another city, but since you requested, here are some old pics of Buffalo:

25.jpg

Cerca 1877:

27.jpg

Central Terminal in 1930:

29.jpg

Cerca 1911:

31.jpg

1890's:

54.jpg

Aerial...I'm guestimating it was taken cerca 1935:

18.jpg

Foot of Main Street in the early 1900's

(this is where HSBC Arena is now):

22.jpg

Thanks to http://www.monteleones.net/buffalo/buffinf...ge/Welcome.html for providing the above pics.

I could do a whole separate thread on the grain elevators in on the south side of downtown, but I'll stick to office buildings for now. :)

I was in Buffalo about 10 years ago. I was very impressed with some of the older architecture there. I hope Buffalo has been able to hold on to most of those buildings I saw.

Buffalo is loaded with architectural treasures, but its lack of modern architecture hurts its national image. To walk the streets of Buffalo, you find yourself surrounded by some amazing buildings:

Ellicott Square (once the world's largest office building):

05.jpg

The old post office:

a1.jpg

Guaranty Building:

05.jpg

City Hall:

12.jpg

Amazing stuff from a city rich in history.

Great pics. It great that Buffalo has been able to hold on to a lot of its historic architecture.