Floridan Hotel Slated For Luxury

rkt

Apr 20, 2005

Floridan Hotel Slated For Luxury

From The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - A development company has bought the historic Floridan Hotel and plans to restore it as a luxury hotel marketed to business travelers and tourists. Lisa Shasteen, a lawyer and real estate broker representing Anotakos Floridan, LLC, said Wednesday that the company has bought the vacant hotel for $6 million and hopes to reopen it in two years. The development company is headed up by Antonios Markopoulos, a real estate investor.

Initial plans call for expanding room sizes and opening an upscale restaurant that would aim to attract city residents, tourists and guests, Shasteen said. The Floridan, at 905 N. Florida Ave., once was Florida's tallest hotel and one of its most luxurious. The hotel opened in 1927 with 400 guest rooms, a top-rated restaurant and an ornate lobby. Business began to suffer in the 1950's when new suburban lodging establishments competed for guests.

This story can be found at: http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBSHKPZR7E.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Developer Proposes Comeback For Floridan

0420hot.jpg

By RANDY DIAMOND

[email protected]

TAMPA - A developer who purchased the shuttered Floridan hotel for $6 million plans to turn the downtown landmark into a luxury hotel targeting business travelers and tourists.

The development company, headed up by Antonios Markopoulos, plans to transform the deteriorated building, opened in 1927, into the top hotel in Tampa, said Lisa Shasteen, a lawyer who represents Markopoulos.

``There are plenty of hotels in town,'' Shasteen said. ``The developers plan to distinguish the Floridan from the rest of the pack.''

The development joins other hotel projects recently announced for Tampa, some also promised as luxury accommodations. At least two are planned for the downtown area. A Westin hotel is planned for a site near the Courtney Campbell Parkway.

The Floridan, now boarded up at Cass Street and Florida Avenue, has a long history in Tampa. Once an exclusive hotel, it last entertained guests in 1987 and had become a visible sign of decline in downtown's north end and for several stalled redevelopment plans.

``It had been a blight and a cloud on the downtown renaissance,'' Tampa Economic Development Director Mark Huey said.

Huey said Wednesday's announcement, along with other development plans nearby, are hopeful signs. They include, across the street from the Floridan, the old Kress building , scheduled to be turned into residential housing, and several nearby condominium projects, he said.

For Full article, click here:

http://www.tampatrib.com/Business/MGBQRFFAS7E.html

• 2 weeks later...

hip hip hooray.

i better start saving my money now.  this is easily my favorite building in florida.  i can't wait for the chance to stay there a night or two.

i'll keep my fingers crossed that this renovation actually makes it through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree with you more, lots of potential in many of the buildings in Tampa's Central Business District. The tide's about to turn from the Channelside area.

• 2 years later...

News on the Floridan?

This is an ancient thread. There's been no news on this since 2005? I hope there has been activity at the Floridan. If it is to be opened in time for the Superbowl in 2009, they'd best get going. I'd hate to see this building disappear. If anyone can update this, please do so.

• 3 months later...

Archived