Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

But Charlotte residents already have second options via ATL, ORD, IAD, BOS, DTW, MSP, etc...

I meant additional, not literally second. I thought this would come up when I posted that post, but I thought that people would just understand it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The American Airlines' Airbus A330-300's will all be retired by 2018, due to the small fleet number. The A330-200's will be staying. I assume that current A333 routes (from Charlotte: London, Rome and select flights to Paris and Frankfurt) will be replaced with A332s or 777s. 

Extract from the email regarding the A330's retirement:

Airbus A330-300

This is an aircraft that has served US Airways well. But we only have nine of them and, again, smaller fleets can be pricey to maintain. Their Pratt & Whitney PW4168 engine is unique in our fleet, adding maintenance complexity and expense for such a small number of aircraft. With a seat count of 291, it’s duplicative of B777-200ERs, which are being retrofitted to 289 seats.

• A330-300 retirements begin in 2017 and will be done by the end of 2018.

• A330 pilots are qualified on both the -200 and -300.

• Flight attendants will be offered training in advance of the B777-200ER being introduced in designated markets.

• No changes are planned for our 15 A330-200s.

Edited by Piedmont767

2 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

The American Airlines' Airbus A330-300's will all be retired by 2018, due to the small fleet number. The A330-200's will be staying. I assume that current A333 routes (from Charlotte: London, Rome and select flights to Paris and Frankfurt) will be replaced with A332s or 777s. 

Extract from the email regarding the A330's retirement:

Airbus A330-300

This is an aircraft that has served US Airways well. But we only have nine of them and, again, smaller fleets can be pricey to maintain. Their Pratt & Whitney PW4168 engine is unique in our fleet, adding maintenance complexity and expense for such a small number of aircraft. With a seat count of 291, it’s duplicative of B777-200ERs, which are being retrofitted to 289 seats.

• A330-300 retirements begin in 2017 and will be done by the end of 2018.

• A330 pilots are qualified on both the -200 and -300.

• Flight attendants will be offered training in advance of the B777-200ER being introduced in designated markets.

• No changes are planned for our 15 A330-200s.

Is this a positive for passengers?  The last time I flew across the Atlantic on a 777 with AA, I wanted to practice self-immolation in the aisle.

I doubt any of our transatlantic routes will be ungauged to a 772, but who knows. Yeah, AA has added 10 abreast to Y class on the 777s, but Main Cabin Extra is still 9 across, and a small standard economy section immediately behind Main Cabin Extra remains 9 across as well.

I like the 777s simply because of the cabin architecture. It's beautiful.

• Like 1

It will be positive when all the 777 refits are complete- which is scheduled for mid 2017, when the 333 start to leave. The 772 will feature more business class seats and main cabin extra; better inflight entertainment systems; WiFi; power ports at every seats; walk up bar in business. So apart from the 3-4-3 config (compared to the 2-4-2 on the 330) it will be a better experience. 

CLT-London will (edit) most likely be going to 777s. I'm excited about it because I love the 777 cabin. 

Edited by Piedmont767
  • Like 1

The 3-4-3 in Economy on the 777 is really no worse than the 3-3-3 in Economy on the 787. I'd still prefer the 777 because you still have a chance at 3-3-3 seating, even if you have to pay a little extra for it.

Year round RDU-CDG service starts today. Hoping that CLT will get CDG and MAD year round soon.

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

So when the 777 starts service from CLT we get to look forward to increased chances of getting a middle seat on a long haul flight. Also don't half the business class seats face backwards? Can't wait! (Not)

In my opinion we have been spoiled with the A330 service here. The 2-4-2 seating configuration is sooooo much more comfortable for long haul.

1 hour ago, uptownliving said:

So when the 777 starts service from CLT we get to look forward to increased chances of getting a middle seat on a long haul flight. Also don't half the business class seats face backwards? Can't wait! (Not)

In my opinion we have been spoiled with the A330 service here. The 2-4-2 seating configuration is sooooo much more comfortable for long haul.

I'm not a fan of  3-4-3 / 3-3-3 seating on the 777s / 787s either, but I'm really liking the interior finishes and features on all their new and reconfigured widebody international aircraft.  AA has definitely stepped up its game on product (the food in economy has, in my opinion, gotten better recently too), and I no longer avoid AA when there is an option to fly on another oneworld carrier.  Now service consistency just needs to improve.  I'm excited for the rollout of premium economy as well, although I'm sure it won't be free for Platinum members like MCE currently is.

Sitting backwards really isn't that bad once you've done it. The first time I did it was about 12 years ago when Southwest still had the old lounge seating on the 737 Classics, and the second time I did it was in the AA Business Suite. You really don't know you're sitting backwards except during take off, and it can get a little awkward if you are able to make eye-contact with people in front (behind) you.

My longest route I have ever flown was 3-3-3 on Singapore in Y from SFO-HKG. Granted it was on a 77W with SQ service (the seats/service were better than AA Domestic First....and I was in Y), it is tricky to sit by the window on an ultra-long-haul flight that proceeds overnight because you will always have to climb over sleeping people to access the aisle. I refuse to fly a 787 due to the tight configuration, and the fact that Main Cabin Extra is still 3-3-3, and not the more comfortable 2-4-2 that ANA and JAL have. It's interesting, when most airlines ordered the 787 (Northwest, British Airways, Continental), they all planned for their 787s to be 2-4-2 in Economy. I know British Airways is installing newer seats that have smaller armrests and reducing the width of the aisles on their 787s out of passenger complaints in regards to the width of the Economy seats.

Anyway, back to a local topic, I am really interested in seeing the performance of RDU-CDG. It seems that those Raleigh fanboys are becoming worse than the Miami ones-pouncing on those who say RDU is a small, tertiary city, and proposing that RDU will soon have nonstop to China. Dream on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Anyway, back to a local topic, I am really interested in seeing the performance of RDU-CDG. It seems that those Raleigh fanboys are becoming worse than the Miami ones-pouncing on those who say RDU is a small, tertiary city, and proposing that RDU will soon have nonstop to China. Dream on.

Man you said it. Those fanboys are getting a little hot on anet. Quite annoying honestly. Get over yourself, the route is subsidized I believe, that's really the only way RDU could get it. Isn't there RDU-LHR paid for as well?? Lol what joke XD

Anyways. Hope we see AA make CLT-CDG/MAD year round. 

7 hours ago, JetBlueCLT said:

. Isn't there RDU-LHR paid for as well?? Lol what joke XD

I dont think its subsidised by the airport authority (like CDG), but I believe that GlaxoSmithKlein are contracted to buy a large portion of First and most of the cargo space on each flight. (Just like our flight to Stuttgart would have been after Merceedies became the anchor tenant in Tryon place -- jk).

The subsidy I never understoond was how Homeland Security could maintain a station at RDU for just one international flight. What were those agents doing for tne other 7 hours of their work shifts each day?

Edited by kermit

RDU-China?! Hahahahaha! We've more likely to get flights to Rio and Sao Paulo back AND Tokyo. 

I don't believe GSK still contracts RDU-LHR, I think it expired a couple years back. I wonder if AA will drop RDU-LHR in favor of CLT-LHR, with Delta picking up RDU-LHR. 

On 5/13/2016 at 3:49 PM, LKN704 said:

I doubt any of our transatlantic routes will be ungauged to a 772, but who knows. Yeah, AA has added 10 abreast to Y class on the 777s, but Main Cabin Extra is still 9 across, and a small standard economy section immediately behind Main Cabin Extra remains 9 across as well.

I like the 777s simply because of the cabin architecture. It's beautiful.

It's not an upgage. The 777-200ER actually seats two fewer passengers than the A330-300. 

That said, I dislike the 777. Anytime an additional middle seat is in the mix, I see a negative. Airbus planes (wide- and narrow-body) are just so much more comfortable. Wider seats, better lighting, bigger windows. I say bring on the A350!

My buddy flew the AA 787-8 from Narita to O'hare in economy (9-abreast) and even an aisle seat couldn't save him from having to down a Xanax to deal with the claustrophobia.  It's not like he could sleep anyway with the drinks cart constantly hitting his knee (the 17" width was hell for his 6'1" frame).

I'll take the A332 in the 2-4-2 any day.  The A332's won't be reconfigured to 3-3-3 will they? (praying not)

Edited by ChessieCat

:(  taking that O'Hare-Tokyo flight this fall on the 787-8...i was excited, not so much anymore (i'm 6'2")...for comparison, I'll be continuing on to Bangkok on the a Japan Air Lines 787-8 configured 2-4-2....hoping JAL config is nicer

17 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

:(  taking that O'Hare-Tokyo flight this fall on the 787-8...i was excited, not so much anymore (i'm 6'2")...for comparison, I'll be continuing on to Bangkok on the a Japan Air Lines 787-8 configured 2-4-2....hoping JAL config is nicer

Choose an aisle seat now or be prepared to suffer.  Get a Xanax prescription regardless LOLOL

Edited by ChessieCat

The E Concourse expansion just got bigger. It is now a 13 gate expansion. Originally it was a 6 gate expansion, then bumped up to a 10 gate expansion and now it is a 13 gate expansion. The project is currently out to bid and construction will likely start in late summer. American must have some expansion plans for CLT requesting this many new gates.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Many airlines are going 3-3-3 on their 787s, unfortunately.  JAL is one exception, and their 787s are awesome, even in regular economy.  AA's seating isn't overly spacious in terms of seat width or leg room, but it's not terrible, especially in MCE (and quite nice if you can get an aisle seat in the bulkhead row).  Granted I am only 5'7" and 130 lbs. :D

On 5/17/2016 at 3:23 PM, Piedmont767 said:

Yeah they do, but regional jet expansion. Yawn. 

Better than no expansion (or cutting flights)!  Elevated gates at the end of the E expansion will also be able to accommodate the Republic E170s/175s, potentially freeing up a few gates on C for more mainline flights.  The only problem is that the ramp between D and E is already a bottleneck-filled nightmare which is only going to get worse with an additional 13 aircraft taxiing to and from those new gates during banks.

Edited by cltcane
  • Like 1