Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I forget where I read it but one of the politicians said that even if american airlines scales back number of gates because they lose their tax incentives, other airlines will just fill them in. No. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

A day after the city of Charlotte warned American Airlines was on “high alert” over the possibility of losing its aviation fuel tax exemption because of the airline’s opposition to House Bill 2, the N.C. House passed its budget on final reading Thursday – with no mention of the exemption.

Thankee sweet Jesus! 

5 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I forget where I read it but one of the politicians said that even if american airlines scales back number of gates because they lose their tax incentives, other airlines will just fill them in. No. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

They're dumb as day-old dog dirt, but they don't care.

Planes brought all those Yankees here and they hate that, surely do.

These are guys (they're nearly all guys) who think North Carolina's last good year was c. 1954.

CDIA_1.jpg

I'm not sure how accurate and old this is, but this is/was the Master Plan for the Airport. It looks accurate and up-to-date but I'll try to find out if this is the actual Master Plan for CLT. 

The main features of the plan (as shown by the letters) are: 

A) Taxiway around 36C/18C to the new runway

B) The new 12,500ft runway, tentatively called 1R/19L

C) The new control tower 

D) New terminal, supposedly international (!!!!) 

E) Concourse B & C expansion 

F) New Concourse A Annex 

This plan makes my mouth drool, the prospect of an international terminal (which would be built around 2030) is so exciting! 

Edited by Piedmont767
  • Like 2

Hey everyone, 

I was curios to know if any of you had any insight into why the commercial bus lanes were given priority to curbside departures (and probably arrivals as well) in the pic below?

Don't ever recall a US airport that forced passengers to walk across 4 bus lanes to enter/exit the terminal so it just seems strange that this was the initial design. I can't for the life of me figure out the reason behind this.

In addition, while I have never seen the numbers to fact check, it would appear that most passengers headed to CLT-Douglas for their flights are in passenger cars/taxis e.t.c. and not city buses. Am I incorrect?

UPNoDa:

Any airport has a limited amount of curb frontage length. This length in feet could be used to serve the maximum number of clients with buses efficiently or it could rather inefficiently be "Clogged up" with sedans carrying one or two people. Buses often carry people on wheelchairs and better meet ADA regulations.  It makes more sense that these should be a little closer to the terminal curb.  So, in these new designs the 3 closest lanes are for commercial and special use. The outside 5 lanes are for general use. 

Buses can be city transit, but most often they are airport buses carrying passengers to and from the parking decks and lots.  They might also be vans and buses shuttling folks to area hotels. Taxis, limos and other commercial vehicles need lanes for needs ranging from routine UPS and Fedex deliveries to emergency response vehicles requiring Direct curbside access  

CLTs having built a CONRAC (Consolidated Rental Car Facility) within the bottom levels of the new hourly parking deck was very smart in that it freed up ramp space for A-North Concourse, provided new revenue opportunities, and freed up space in the lower level baggage claim area once used by rental car  counters.  It also provided this rental car service just steps away from the terminal and took the need for all these rental car shuttle bus fleets off the airport roadways thereby improving air quality.  

The new design will provide both underground tunnels and flyover walkways above the traffic lanes between the hourly deck and the terminal. The overhead walkways will connect with a second floor mezzanine level of the expanded terminal lobby area. Providing the tunnels and walkways will allow pickups and drop offs in the hourly deck without pedestrians ever needing to cross traffic. 

Despite air traffic growth - with these new designs their should be much fewer pedestrians walking across traffic like their now is.  

http://www.ls3p.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/CDIA.pdf

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 7:31 PM, NeilD said:

Piedmont 767:

It's 436 pages - but you should find that it answers all your questions covering CLT planning between 2013-2033  

What you have is a crop of the future airport layout plan

Some clarifications on what you typed: 

Runway 1-19 is shown as 12,000' X 150' on the ALP

As a cost- saving measure, runway 1-19 may be built a little shorter. A Displaced threshold may be used to provide 11,700' for takeoffs in ether direction on runway 1-19 rather than the full 12,000 linear feet   

the parallel, linear concourse to the south is going to be for American Eagle regional jets and commuter aircraft (currently using E) 

International will be from concourses C, D, and possibly a re-configured E after the demolishing of the current structure post- 2025  

A 5th parallel runway east of the current airfield close to Billy Graham parkway is also planned  

All non-AA carriers will operate out of A-North concourse that will provide its own separate self-contained entrance road spur, curbside, terminal, ticketing and baggage claim  with elevated walkway connection to the daily parking deck  

American will also get some gates on the current A concourse  and A-North  

the addition of end-around taxiways and additional parallel taxi lanes on the ramp will reduce delays and drastically improve capacity  

these taxi lanes will come at a cost - some gates at the easternmost ends of concourses E and D and the western end of A will be lost and replaced elsewhere  

Basically CLT is expected to be twice as busy and twice as large a terminal complex (in square feet) as it is now. These changes are all within the 2013-2033 timeframe  

Surely these are exciting times for CLT! 

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/AboutCLT/Documents/Development%20Master%20Plan/CLT%20ACEP%2002232016%20-%20FINAL.pdf

image.png

Well for some reason I just read that entire document.  YIKES.  Lots of good info. Was nice to see that the price of the projects wasn't the number 1 consideration and that making a more efficient, safer, and bigger facility was.   I have never thought about an eastern 5th parallel, but it works.  The satellite regional/domestic terminal should have been done instead of the horrible E con in the first place.  At least long term E goes away and more D/international goes it.  Lots of happiness for the future of this airport. With the planned growth at ATL I don't think we will ever catch them with size and volume, but we might get close.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

Well for some reason I just read that entire document.  YIKES.  Lots of good info. Was nice to see that the price of the projects wasn't the number 1 consideration and that making a more efficient, safer, and bigger facility was.   I have never thought about an eastern 5th parallel, but it works.  The satellite regional/domestic terminal should have been done instead of the horrible E con in the first place.  At least long term E goes away and more D/international goes it.  Lots of happiness for the future of this airport. With the planned growth at ATL I don't think we will ever catch them with size and volume, but we might get close.

I think CLT will always play second fiddle to ATL and nothing wrong with that at all.

First fiddle is gigantic and had a lengthy headstart with a major airline hq at its doorstep. 

Second fiddle is merely very large, built with gumption, bootstraps, luck and leadership.

If you can remember CLT before the current terminal opened in 1982 and it became a Piedmont hub, you're astounded and have to pinch yourself every time you approach Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 4

I don't think E will necessarily go away, but rather several gates at E will simply be replaced in other areas around the terminal. I wouldn't be surprised if half of the new satellite concourse is for Regional, with the other half being mainline. At the same time, I wonder if the satellite will ever be built. Building a megaproject like that takes time (especially because of the need to tunnel an APM under an active taxiway) and who knows what will happen in the next 20 years. I put a timeline of 2035 at the earliest.

What I KNOW for a fact will happen (and what I am most excited about) is relocating all non-AA carriers to A-North eventually, and building a ticketing lobby and baggage claim at A-North making it officially a separate terminal (probably will be named T-1). It looks like the ticket counters will be in aisles (like at most major INTL terminals, see the INTL terminal at SFO), which makes the facility much more open and airy, IMHO.

• Like 1

Reading the report and looking at the 2033 plan I am a bit disappointed.  

I really like the hammerhead satellite but I think this should be the international terminal rather than the Alt C4-b plan that puts regional jets out there.  The main reason is I think if international went out to the satellite you would have the option of building a grand terminal due to a somewhat isolated construction process.

That said I do love what they will be doing over the car rental parking lots.  Not sure what terminal that would be but it feels like it would look like a larger version of the new San Diego terminal....which is stunning.

Exciting stuff for sure.