Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

9 hours ago, cltcane said:

ViaAir will also begin service to Clarksburg, WV and Parkersburg, WV under the Alternate Essential Air Service program starting October 1st.

https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=DOT-OST-1997-2761-0122&attachmentNumber=1&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf

Interesting! I see all flights are arriving into Charlotte.  Is this a relatively new federally subsidized air program by chance?

6 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Interesting! I see all flights are arriving into Charlotte.  Is this a relatively new federally subsidized air program by chance?

1978, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Air_Service. Knowing that a free market airline economy would punt on service to rural areas (lets irony sink in), the government subsidizes flights to those areas. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 10:36 PM, Miesian Corners said:

They've revised the main terminal design. Not bad. 

Revised_Elevated-Roadyway-and-Terminal-C

The City just approved a $4M contract with GS&P to design the Lobby expansion...so it is possible this is just a placeholder image as the actual expansion has not been designed yet. On the good news front GS&P is the same firm that designed Atlanta's new International Terminal.

• Like 1

Finally the terminal renovation has gone out to bid. Looks like they will be doing Concourse A renovation first. If all goes well renovation work could begin in November.

The Charlotte Douglas Airport Concourse “A” Renovations project consists of renovating approximately 40,000 square feet of concourse space including gates, hold rooms, concourse circulation, toilet rooms, airport support space and tenant facades. New finishes and design changes will be implemented at all interior surfaces on the concourse including floors, ceilings and walls. New lighting and upgrades to the HVAC systems on the concourse as well as life safety modifications including a new sprinkler system on the Ticket level are included in the package.  Modifications to the existing electrical service including a new generator will be part of the new improvements along with security, life safety and communications enhancements. Minor upgrades and modifications will also take place on the Ramp level to support and facilitate changes planned on the Ticket level.

4 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Finally the terminal renovation has gone out to bid. Looks like they will be doing Concourse A renovation first. If all goes well renovation work could begin in November.

The Charlotte Douglas Airport Concourse “A” Renovations project consists of renovating approximately 40,000 square feet of concourse space including gates, hold rooms, concourse circulation, toilet rooms, airport support space and tenant facades. New finishes and design changes will be implemented at all interior surfaces on the concourse including floors, ceilings and walls. New lighting and upgrades to the HVAC systems on the concourse as well as life safety modifications including a new sprinkler system on the Ticket level are included in the package.  Modifications to the existing electrical service including a new generator will be part of the new improvements along with security, life safety and communications enhancements. Minor upgrades and modifications will also take place on the Ramp level to support and facilitate changes planned on the Ticket level.

Holy smokes.  Finally.  Wasn't it originally planned for last fall?   Regardless can't wait for it to make its way all the way through all the concourses, because outside of the atrium, CLT is downright depressing, dark, hot and miserable.

Bringing a recent discussion on Amazon Prime Air from the "Good News Report" thread here.  It appears that Prime Air has chosen to fly to Charlotte over Greenville. 

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/gsp-loses-charlotte-amazon-prime-air/

Looking at flight aware, it looks as if the first two destinations are Stockton and Ontario using ABX Air and ATI, the two contract airlines for Prime Air.  Wikipedia also lists Chicago/Rockford and Allentown but I can not confirm that those flights exist. 

Maybe this is the beginning of an air cargo hub operation. Considering they are only to use about 40 aircraft-all of the 767 variety-it makes sense for them to place a few hubs around the country and let their ground network cover the rest.  And I personally think Charlotte is in a good position from a geographical standpoint for such a hub considering its centrality to Amazon's massive fulfillment centers in/near Columbia and Richmond,  its smaller fulfillment centers in Greenville and [soon to be] near the Charlotte airport, and the distribution center in Concord,

• Like 2

That is probably why Amazon leased a 500,000 sq ft warehouse at 10240 Old Dowd Rd and is upfitting it right now. I posted this under good news

Here are some updated photos of Amazon's new 500,000 sq ft warehouse on Wilkinson Blvd, the city biggest job announcement of the year you won't hear a lot about. I counted 90 dock doors on both sides of the warehouses, lots of new parking being graded. This fulfillment center is different than the Concord sortation center where packages are sorted. One of the reasons I think this location was chosen was close proximity to CLT airport as Amazon will soon have a fleet of 40 delivery planes. My guess on employment at least 500 but more likely closer to 750 based on centers such as this around the country.   Here is a link from the Wall St Journal about Amazon's plan and explains what they are doing and so forth. It is a subscriber only article http://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons-newest-ambitioncompeting-directly-with-ups-and-fedex-1474994758  but find a paper copy from Wed 9/28 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That is probably why Amazon leased a 500,000 sq ft warehouse at 10240 Old Dowd Rd and is upfitting it right now. I posted this under good news

Here are some updated photos of Amazon's new 500,000 sq ft warehouse on Wilkinson Blvd, the city biggest job announcement of the year you won't hear a lot about. I counted 90 dock doors on both sides of the warehouses, lots of new parking being graded. This fulfillment center is different than the Concord sortation center where packages are sorted. One of the reasons I think this location was chosen was close proximity to CLT airport as Amazon will soon have a fleet of 40 delivery planes. My guess on employment at least 500 but more likely closer to 750 based on centers such as this around the country.   Here is a link from the Wall St Journal about Amazon's plan and explains what they are doing and so forth. It is a subscriber only article http://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons-newest-ambitioncompeting-directly-with-ups-and-fedex-1474994758  but find a paper copy from Wed 9/28 

Well that explains the South Cargo ramp expansion that inexplicably happened last year.  Could probably accommodate no less than 3 767s.  Also just looked on google earth.   The road (old dowd)  connects directly to the airport perimiter road which attaches to West Blvd and right to Yorkmont.  Which is where the DHL airport facility is/the rest of the CLT cargo carriers and the south cargo ramp.   Would make it VERY easy to move cargo to/from the facility to the ramp area there.  I think most of the real estate/DHL building are available to buy/lease with Roush no longer over there, so maybe a new building will be built there long term to handle the Amazon/Prime Flight cargo operation.

Anyone know when they are supposed to begin the construction on E-con (jet bridges and extension)?   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Bringing a recent discussion on Amazon Prime Air from the "Good News Report" thread here.  It appears that Prime Air has chosen to fly to Charlotte over Greenville. 

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/gsp-loses-charlotte-amazon-prime-air/

Looking at flight aware, it looks as if the first two destinations are Stockton and Ontario using ABX Air and ATI, the two contract airlines for Prime Air.  Wikipedia also lists Chicago/Rockford and Allentown but I can not confirm that those flights exist. 

Maybe this is the beginning of an air cargo hub operation. Considering they are only to use about 40 aircraft-all of the 767 variety-it makes sense for them to place a few hubs around the country and let their ground network cover the rest.  And I personally think Charlotte is in a good position from a geographical standpoint for such a hub considering its centrality to Amazon's massive fulfillment centers in/near Columbia and Richmond,  its smaller fulfillment centers in Greenville and [soon to be] near the Charlotte airport, and the distribution center in Concord,

I found out why the flights for Rockford and Allentown are listed-that is where the Prime Air flights originate according to flightaware.  They make a stop in Charlotte and then fly on to Stockton and Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

Anyone know why there is not a Priority Pass lounge at CLT?

American Airlines Admirals Club does not participate in the Priority Pass network at any airport and our airport is overwhelmingly dominated by American. Passengers based in CLT or connecting in CLT that are premium passengers are already likely a part of the Admirals Club because they fly AA so often. 

There is also the issue of space.... I doubt American Airlines is allowing a Priority Pass lounge separate from the Admirals Club in any of the concourses that they are the majority (usually only) tenant, with a Master Lease. That rules out the vast majority of the current airport and leaves Concourse A which is already tight on space and couldn't accommodate a lounge. Maybe once the new terminal space is added with A-North, we will see competing lounges to the Admirals Club, near the non-AA airlines.

Edited by CLT2014

CLT just doesn't have the international traffic to warrant a designated premium international lounge. The fact that we only have one foreign flagged transoceanic carrier doesn't help either.

Remember we did use to have a British Airways Terraces lounge that was located in the upper mezzanine above the food court in the atrium. That space is taken up by the USO lounge.

There were rumors that US and LH were going to open a joint international lounge in D, but the merger happened and US left Star.

I wouldn't be surprised if DL opens up a Sky Club in Concourse A once the expansion is complete.

13 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

CLT just doesn't have the international traffic to warrant a designated premium international lounge. The fact that we only have one foreign flagged transoceanic carrier doesn't help either.

Remember we did use to have a British Airways Terraces lounge that was located in the upper mezzanine above the food court in the atrium. That space is taken up by the USO lounge.

There were rumors that US and LH were going to open a joint international lounge in D, but the merger happened and US left Star.

I wouldn't be surprised if DL opens up a Sky Club in Concourse A once the expansion is complete.

Delta has recently opened a new club in Jacksonville. Once there is new space I would expect a lounge in CLT. There are many flyers connecting though ATL internationally with Charlotte as their final destination, similarly to Jacksonville. Charlotte has more routes with Delta-5 than JAX's 4 and I expect a SEA route in the future.

RDU Airport just announced their goal for a new international flight one to Asia. I believe if any airport in the Carolinas gets a nonstop flight to Asia it will be CLT of course due to our hub. Any thoughts and what about some of American's partner airlines serving CLT.  http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/10/20/rdu-ceo-talks-airports-goal-for-next-international.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

RDU Airport just announced their goal for a new international flight one to Asia. I believe if any airport in the Carolinas gets a nonstop flight to Asia it will be CLT of course due to our hub. Any thoughts and what about some of American's partner airlines serving CLT.  http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/10/20/rdu-ceo-talks-airports-goal-for-next-international.html

I think every mid-size city has a goal for getting service to Asia... whether it is realistic is another question. We will not see service on American anytime soon to Asia from CLT - they are still struggling to make solid profit margins on their flights from Dallas to Asia and that hub is larger and more centrally located. AA has been clear that they are going to throw everything they have at LAX for any expansion to Asia. 

As far as AA's partner airlines... the OneWorld alliance with the new AA is actually significantly weaker to Asia than US Airways was in the Star Alliance. OneWorld has three airlines in eastern Asia: Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, and Malaysia. Malaysia and JAL are not in the best financial shape. Cathay Pacific of Hong Kong is the strongest of those three airlines. Currently they fly to Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco in the USA. I don't see the Southeast's ties to Hong Kong being very strong though - hence they don't fly to AA's larger hub in Dallas either. 

• Like 1

I assume some of you have gotten the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card which gives a complimentary Prority Pass membership.  No luck at CLT.  

The card also reimburses for Global Entry, however interview slots are not available at CLT until January.  RDU has no office.  ATL is the nearest location if you can't wait until 2017.

Edited by ChessieCat

Seasonal service to FCO/CDG/DUB ends this Friday before resuming next Spring.

Nothing unusual about FCO and CDG, but I don't think DUB has ever continued this late in the season before. I think it usually ended around the same time MAD and BCN did, which is sometime in mid-September. With its upguage to a A332 last year, I wonder if we would ever see CLT-DUB go year round. Especially considering the fact that EI (Aer Lingus) is now owned by IAG (owners of British Airways and Iberia) and will eventually join Oneworld.

I'm still hoping for CLT-CDG to resume year round service.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure DUB continued till late October last year as well. Both went to a 752 for the last part of the summer; however, I think the 752 went on the route in late August/early September last year, whilst this year it changed in late September. 

I expect both MAD and DUB to go year-round eventually, at least 4x weekly in the winter. 

CDG normally resumes in March, but next year it resumes in April or May, so I don't think it will go year-round again soon. 

Two questions...

first, what is going on with the employee lots and the associated long term lot? they paved it.  but the bus drivers were telling us to expect some of the lots to close?

second, whats going on with the north part of e con and the jet bridges?   i have seen zero changes, that being said the d/e connector and such is making some kind of progress...

On 10/20/2016 at 2:13 PM, CLT2014 said:

There is also the issue of space.... I doubt American Airlines is allowing a Priority Pass lounge separate from the Admirals Club in any of the concourses that they are the majorit

Amen. The lounges are already so crowded that it's tough to call them an "escape" from the regular airport restaurants/bars. Aside from the free snacks, booze, soup (which some people complain about, but dammit...I always love the soup!), and occasional break-the-rules-because-you-are-a-member priority placement on standby/FC upgrade or waiving of change fees (you have to get the right person...doesn't always happen), it's just another place to wait for a plane. I don't think I'll be renewing my membership next year honestly.

On 10/21/2016 at 1:50 PM, ChessieCat said:

I assume some of you have gotten the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card which gives a complimentary Prority Pass membership.  No luck at CLT.  

I have been a Chase Sapphire Preferred card holder for several years and its benefits are second to none for the annual fee. But looking at the benefits for the Reserve card, I just don't get it. Chase SP is awesome and worth the $95 per year. I earn that back in a month or so easily. But an extra $400/year for what would end up being minimal benefits for me? Nah...I'll pass. Priority Pass is useless to me for the most part, as I am primarily an AA flyer. Even the Citi Prestige card, which I was so close to applying for, will be ending AA lounge membership benefits next year (glad I didn't apply - it would have actually saved me lounge membership cost if it did, but it soon will not and is still $450/year). I think the only way to get into an AA lounge after that ends in June 2017 will be to be a lounge member or be a frequent international traveler. But like I said before, AA lounges are already crowded enough...any more people in there then you might as well hit up any other airport restaurant/bar. That being said, the new lounge upgrades which have yet to hit CLT are nice, but still I'm debating whether it's worth it to remain a member.