Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

12 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Wish I could get that for London flights; I am now routinely flying Delta via Atlanta because it is so much cheaper- my next flight to the UK was $800 cheaper on Delta than the nonstop.

Yeah I did a flight through British Airline ATL to LHR for $488 at the beginning of May.  I was pretty pleased with it even though it begins and ends in ATL.  But I'll be getting back and going right to Shaky Knees fest so it worked out perfect :)

American is adding another daily flight to Manchester, NH starting on June 2nd. So there will now be 3 daily between CLT and Manchester. For anyone that travels up to the Northeast and doesn't want to fly into Boston Logan, this is a great alternative. Much easier airport to get in and out of. We used it last summer on trip up that way. Highly recommend. 

https://www.flymanchester.com/news/2017/3/american-airlines-announces-additional-service-charlotte-north-carolina-hub

56 minutes ago, HopHead said:

American is adding another daily flight to Manchester, NH starting on June 2nd. So there will now be 3 daily between CLT and Manchester. For anyone that travels up to the Northeast and doesn't want to fly into Boston Logan, this is a great alternative. Much easier airport to get in and out of. We used it last summer on trip up that way. Highly recommend. 

https://www.flymanchester.com/news/2017/3/american-airlines-announces-additional-service-charlotte-north-carolina-hub

How do the fares to Manchester compare to Jet Blue's fares to Logan?

3 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

How do the fares to Manchester compare to Jet Blue's fares to Logan?

So far looks to be $320-$400 roundtrip for the flights into Manchester compared to $175 - $250 roundtrip on JetBlue or AA into Boston through September. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

So far looks to be $320-$400 roundtrip for the flights into Manchester compared to $175 - $250 roundtrip on JetBlue or AA into Boston through September. 

Another option is flying to Providence, R.I, It is around $380 and easy access to south Boston. It is the same distance from central Boston as Manchester. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRNtVjRnORE

A friend of mine sent me this video which contains all of US Air's onboard video announcements used in the 1990s.

If you go to the 37:23 mark, there is an arrival video for CLT which contains a lot of images and scenes of CLT I've never seen before. The airport looks very, very  different, and I notice that the international arrivals area used to exit onto the concourse, rather than the arrivals halls (as it is now). Also, I noticed that there used to be Japanese and German signage in the international arrivals hall. Also what was the Concourse B-C connector? Was the atrium not built at the time.

One thing in those videos that stuck out is how modern Pittsburgh Airport seemed for its time-I wouldn't consider the terminal and international arrivals area shown in the video out of place today, in 2017. Sad to see it all go to waste.

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRNtVjRnORE

A friend of mine sent me this video which contains all of US Air's onboard video announcements used in the 1990s.

If you go to the 37:23 mark, there is an arrival video for CLT which contains a lot of images and scenes of CLT I've never seen before. The airport looks very, very  different, and I notice that the international arrivals area used to exit onto the concourse, rather than the arrivals halls (as it is now). Also, I noticed that there used to be Japanese and German signage in the international arrivals hall. Also what was the Concourse B-C connector? Was the atrium not built at the time.

One thing in those videos that stuck out is how modern Pittsburgh Airport seemed for its time-I wouldn't consider the terminal and international arrivals area shown in the video out of place today, in 2017. Sad to see it all go to waste.

PIT is still superior to most terminals nationally.  PERIOD.  Damn shame what happened there.   I would much rather live and work there at this point.  CLT is wayyyyy behind the ball on expansion and traffic at this point.Way back when (the 90s) PIT was built and planned to handle more departures than CLT has now...sad stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

PIT is still superior to most terminals nationally.  PERIOD.  Damn shame what happened there.   I would much rather live and work there at this point.  CLT is wayyyyy behind the ball on expansion and traffic at this point.Way back when (the 90s) PIT was built and planned to handle more departures than CLT has now...sad stuff.

I was there a couple of months ago and it was just depressing. Lovely facility though, and I loved to transfer there way back when it was busy.

I seem to recall that the master plan for PIT called for a second airside terminal in the shape of a "Y".

16 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

I lived in PGH when that terminal was built.  There was so much fanfare and it was supposed to be the model of airports moving forward.  I don't believe it ever achieved the momentum that it needed to make it feasible.  From what I remember, USAirways' had the right intentions, but the industry became more and more cutthroat.  PIT never really had the corporate base back then to support that airport growing any more than what it was.  Now, it is not much better.  I truly believe that 9/11 was a major component of keeping that airport in the state that it is now.  But more than that, the consolidation of the industry and its financial intricacies were the inevitable nail in the coffin.  PIT has been relegated to class C status where there are basically no direct flights out to any other major city.  Two of the arms of the terminal are basically shut down b/c American (nee USAir) abandoned that airport.  IMHO, that company really put the screws to the city and county with all of the money that those combined entities did for that airline, only to have said airline turn their back on the operations of the facility.

For an airport that had some decent promise, it really is sad to see what it has become.  Not much to hope for in the future either.

I  think PIT was just too close to Philly and since Philly is so much larger and had so many more corporations PHL contributed a lot to what happened to PIT   Didnt Piedmont have the hub in PIT and USAir had the hub in PHL and when they merged and only one hub in PA would win and despite PIT being a nicer airport and more land around it PHL won out. 

In terms of that old postcard I remember that airport and the surface lots LOL 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

I'm glad that Pittsburgh got de-hubbed and those fine resources were allocated to Charlotte. The geographic location made it pointless to maintain a hub there with the close proximity to Philadelphia. Charlotte had everything going for it and still does.

When comparing the interior of the terminals, who really cares. People just care about getting from point A to point B.

Does Charlotte need a face lift in some parts of the airport? Absolutley and that will come in time.

The most important thing is were one of the strongest hub for American and we keep continuing to grow our network.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JetBlueCLT said:

I'm glad that Pittsburgh got de-hubbed and those fine resources were allocated to Charlotte. The geographic location made it pointless to maintain a hub there with the close proximity to Philadelphia. Charlotte had everything going for it and still does.

When comparing the interior of the terminals, who really cares. People just care about getting from point A to point B.

Does Charlotte need a face lift in some parts of the airport? Absolutley and that will come in time.

The most important thing is were one of the strongest hub for American and we keep continuing to grow our network.

Charlotte is awful.  Operationally its absurd.  The ramp, taxi and runway/terminal configuration is awful.  one way traffic, tight alley ways are an incredible way to waste some time.  The inside of a b c leaves a lot to be desired.  should have been updated at least 15 years ago.  the bathrooms all smell like old pee.  I can go on.

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I  think PIT was just too close to Philly and since Philly is so much larger and had so many more corporations PHL contributed a lot to what happened to PIT   Didnt Piedmont have the hub in PIT and USAir had the hub in PHL and when they merged and only one hub in PA would win and despite PIT being a nicer airport and more land around it PHL won out. 

In terms of that old postcard I remember that airport and the surface lots LOL 

No, PIT was a hub for Allegheny from the '50s, who then rebranded as USAir in '79. USAir began to build up the PHL hub it the '80s. Piedmont had its main hubs in Charlotte, Baltimore, with secondary hubs in Dayton, and Syracuse; they merged with USAir in '89, the latter two hubs were closed by the mid '90s. PSA was brought in '88 with their hubs (in LAX, SFO, and SAN) closed by '94. 

So in short, PIT was a hub for US from the '50s with PHL only being built up in the '80s, and CLT being added in '89 from Piedmont (who built up CLT starting in '79 IIRC). 

It is a shame about PIT, it is such a nice facility. I do think that CLT is not the best (look at AA's DFW refurbished terminals), my dream would be for the airport to knock down the current terminal and start again- but PIT teaches a lesson that it would not be a good idea. 

7 hours ago, CLT704 said:

No, PIT was a hub for Allegheny from the '50s, who then rebranded as USAir in '79. USAir began to build up the PHL hub it the '80s. Piedmont had its main hubs in Charlotte, Baltimore, with secondary hubs in Dayton, and Syracuse; they merged with USAir in '89, the latter two hubs were closed by the mid '90s. PSA was brought in '88 with their hubs (in LAX, SFO, and SAN) closed by '94. 

So in short, PIT was a hub for US from the '50s with PHL only being built up in the '80s, and CLT being added in '89 from Piedmont (who built up CLT starting in '79 IIRC). 

It is a shame about PIT, it is such a nice facility. I do think that CLT is not the best (look at AA's DFW refurbished terminals), my dream would be for the airport to knock down the current terminal and start again- but PIT teaches a lesson that it would not be a good idea. 

Wouldnt be so bad as long as AA is not tied to paying the cost directly...thats what hosed  PIT. That and the county/city refusing to negotiate with a financially unstable airline. The tough guy attitude from PIT, thinking that they would never actually leave...

11 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

Charlotte is awful.  Operationally its absurd.  The ramp, taxi and runway/terminal configuration is awful.  one way traffic, tight alley ways are an incredible way to waste some time.  The inside of a b c leaves a lot to be desired.  should have been updated at least 15 years ago.  the bathrooms all smell like old pee.  I can go on.

In 10 years, I think CLT will be above average compared to cities of our size.